Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Shrenchel

Whisky

2 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

I'm definitely more of a whiskey drinker but I do like a cognac ever now and then. I'll definitely have to give the Aldi one ago because I can never justify spending the same money on it as whiskey when whiskey is my preference. If I can find a high quality cheap cognac that would be amazing!

Honestly mate, try it. I was gobsmacked when I first tasted it. First tastes like caramel and then nice and warming on the way down. It’s the blue bottle they do. The green bottle, I think it’s called Napoleon, tastes like utter arse though wouldn’t bother with that, I imagine at £10 a bottle it’s cheap enough for the older lads and ladies to stick in their coffee on a Sunday morning though which I imagine it’s all it would be good for. 

Do you know what they have in their collection or what they like? that will give us a few clues as to what we should suggest.

A bit of a cop out, you could get a gift voucher from the whiskey exchange or similar?  I know i would rather a contribution towards a bottle i have my eye on over something that will sit at the back of the cupboard. 

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/giftcard?occasion=christmas

And finally if you are really not sure what to get, maybe a glass or accessory? 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Price tracker alerted me last week that Balvenie Doublewood 12 was at a very good price - £32. Unfortunately I missed out by a few minutes and they’d sold out. 

This morning same thing happened and I got there just in time to order two!

The only annoying thing about that is that I’m restarting my training today and going dry for a month. 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Anyone know much about Japanese whiskies?

Many years ago I had a Japanese whisky (can't remember what it was called) when I first got into the spirit, but I wasn't a big fan. Although at the time I mostly drank bourbon. Since then, my tastes and preferences regarding whisky have changed dramatically. I now love a good Speyside.

Fastworward to now, and I'm a couple of weeks short of my birthday and my wife is getting me some handmade Japanese whisky glasses as a present so I figured they should be christened with some Japanese whisky.

Any recommendations for ones that would be similar to a speyside?

8 minutes ago, TiffToff88 said:

Many years ago I had a Japanese whisky (can't remember what it was called) when I first got into the spirit, but I wasn't a big fan. Although at the time I mostly drank bourbon. Since then, my tastes and preferences regarding whisky have changed dramatically. I now love a good Speyside.

Fastworward to now, and I'm a couple of weeks short of my birthday and my wife is getting me some handmade Japanese whisky glasses as a present so I figured they should be christened with some Japanese whisky.

I’m not an expert but I had a bottle of Hibiki Harmony last year that I really liked. 

1 hour ago, TiffToff88 said:

Try Miyagikyo 10

1 hour ago, Unabomber said:

I’m not an expert but I had a bottle of Hibiki Harmony last year that I really liked. 

I bought one last week. Very agreeable. 

1 hour ago, TiffToff88 said:

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/ might be a good site for you to check out.

20 minutes ago, Silebyfox_89 said:

Ran low on Jameson's recently, any recommendations for Irish whiskey?

I'm partial to Bushmills, though might be due to my family origins nearby. Lovely whiskey. Oldest distillery in the world too.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Wrighty22 said:

Anyone know of places that can value whisky? 

my dad has a huge collection of old whisky’s and looking to get them valued and maybe sell them.  

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/wanted

Start here.  Get two or three valuations at least, if you can.  The Whisky Exchange will likely want to retail anything they'd buy, so would offer you less than what it's 'worth', but it'll give you a ball park figure and something to compare other valuations to.

Good luck.

14 hours ago, Silebyfox_89 said:

Ran low on Jameson's recently, any recommendations for Irish whiskey?

If you like your Irish whiskies but want to try something a little bit different to other Irish ones, give Jack Ryan a try

• Like 1