Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Shrenchel

Whisky

33 minutes ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

What’s a decent whiskey as a gift? Don’t want to spend more than £35 ideally. 

Really depends on the person you're buying for because there's a huge difference between whiskies. I love whisky, but there's quite a few I wouldn't touch with a barge pole.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

Thank me later - bang on budget

Bunnahabhain Moine Single Malt Whisky, 700 ml https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0743ZWJN5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_gFq1FbFTC7WF3

or a little over but stunning too

Tamdhu 12 Year Old Single Malt Whisky 70 cl https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07GLHTW46/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_-Fq1FbP6SYGRN

1 hour ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Really depends on the person you're buying for because there's a huge difference between whiskies. I love whisky, but there's quite a few I wouldn't touch with a barge pole.

This is very true - the two above won’t surprise anyone - only delight!

2 hours ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

Bushmills Black Bush is good. You can’t go wrong with a bottle of Jameson either but might be a bit tame if you’re buying as a gift. They used to do a 12 year old Jimmy’s but I think that’s stopped now. Preference thing to be honest, these are both Irish because I don’t like scotch but nice and smooth regardless. 

Talisker 10 year old is my go to. 

I drink a fair bit of Whisky, but I'm not a whisky snob.  I don't mind the cheaper stuff & there are plenty of blended whiskies that are perfectly fine.  Bushmills Black Bush is a decent blended whiskey  Don't buy something just because it says 'single malt'. 

As others have said, Jamesons is great & even more so for the price. 

Edited by pSinatra
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Spiritwalker said:

Jameson’s is my favourite whisky and also the best selling whisky in the world ( just seen this on The Chase).

The Chase is wrong. It's Jack Daniels (which isn't a bourbon).

If you like a really smooth whiskey, then you can't go far wrong with Gentleman Jack.

And because I'm a pedant (though not a whisky/whiskey snob)...

Whisky - Scottish whisky 

Whiskey - Irish whiskey (and therefore most American whiskey)

Penderyn is a great whisky from Wales that has yet to be mentioned. Though that will be all of your £35 in a lot of places.

As @pSinatra says, there are many fine blends, some as expensive as single malts.

Just don't buy Bells. 

My advice when buying for a gift is to not get anything too peaty as its a bit like marmite (you'll love it or hate it) and you can't really go wrong with a Scottish one, it's kind of the standard. Also be sure to read what barrel its been aged in as well because that will have a big impact on flavour!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

The Chase is wrong. It's Jack Daniels (which isn't a bourbon).

If you like a really smooth whiskey, then you can't go far wrong with Gentleman Jack.

And because I'm a pedant (though not a whisky/whiskey snob)...

Whisky - Scottish whisky 

Whiskey - Irish whiskey (and therefore most American whiskey)

Penderyn is a great whisky from Wales that has yet to be mentioned. Though that will be all of your £35 in a lot of places.

As @pSinatra says, there are many fine blends, some as expensive as single malts.

Just don't buy Bells. 

I wonder how many people who say they don't like whisky have only ever tried Bells

Stuff makes me heave, absolutely undrinkable

Oh and Penderyn is lovely, about 22 quid in Sainsburys at the minute too

• Like 1

In the absence of any proper thread on it, what’s the Brandy up take like on here? I prefer Brandy to Whiskey if I’m being honest, deffo drink more of it. The Chevalier cognac that Aldi do for about £15 is as good as any branded ones I’ve had it’s so good, I would urge anyone to go and buy it if you’re after a drop this Christmas.

Also managed to get a bottle of Martel for the same price in Costco the other day, nice drop and the first time I’d tried it. Will always enjoy Courvoisier and Remy Martin as well, I’d like to try the King Louis editions that they have locked up in Selfridges of the latter. Like 5k bottles - obviously I’d never buy one because that’s insane but I bet they’re smooth as silk. 

1 minute ago, Manini said:

In the absence of any proper thread on it, what’s the Brandy up take like on here? I prefer Brandy to Whiskey if I’m being honest, deffo drink more of it. The Chevalier cognac that Aldi do for about £15 is as good as any branded ones I’ve had it’s so good, I would urge anyone to go and buy it if you’re after a drop this Christmas.

Also managed to get a bottle of Martel for the same price in Costco the other day, nice drop and the first time I’d tried it. Will always enjoy Courvoisier and Remy Martin as well, I’d like to try the King Louis editions that they have locked up in Selfridges of the latter. Like 5k bottles - obviously I’d never buy one because that’s insane but I bet they’re smooth as silk. 

I'm definitely more of a whiskey drinker but I do like a cognac ever now and then. I'll definitely have to give the Aldi one ago because I can never justify spending the same money on it as whiskey when whiskey is my preference. If I can find a high quality cheap cognac that would be amazing!