Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

I don't want to have fun trying to find my way somewhere - I like to go the fastest route there rather than being send down a series of countryside roads and then finding myself 30 miles from where I wanted to go by the time I have room to turn round.

For someone like me with no sense of direction, I find them invaluable.

Just finding my way home would be a chore otherwise.

Put your money away and buy something useful for directions - a road map.

Yes, well thanks for your pearls of wisdom, I do however have a number of road maps in the car. None of which are that practical as I'm operating several tonnes of metal with my eyes hands and feet...

A sat-nav would be a welcome driving aid, by no means a tool to be relied upon as I know from past experiencethat they are not correct 100% of the time. However, I have found the borrowed Tom Tom to be accurate enough - especially in city centres that I do not know.

So my question still stands - anybody know who has the best prices??

Print off the directions to and from the destination you are set to go to via Google Maps if you ask me. It helped me to drive from Desford to Newark, which is quite a long way.

I've used one of these tomtom products only once (despite it being an Xmas present from one of my Sisters :ph34r: ) and it took me onto a road which had a dead end to it and as I turned around to get out of this road, it told me to go back again. :rolleyes::S

Edited by Wymeswold fox

I should have known better than to expect a straight answer on here!! lol

I have done AA Route Maps and Google directions and even written out my own directions in shorthand in the past, I often use google before I hop in the car along with national and local A-Z's.

I just don't find looking at a sheet of paper full of letters and numbers, trying to find where I am on the list, then reading the next instruction practical. I also do not have time (or admittedly, the patience) to pull over and check.

I have also been sent down the odd dead end by a Tom Tom, but out of the plethora of brands that I have used in the past they have been the best by far - yes - they cannot be expected to be 100% accurate 100% of the time. But by the same token, nor can reading instructions off a sheet of paper as then you have to account for human error - which in my case would far outstrip computer error.

Does anybody know who sells Tom Toms at the best price?

I should have known better than to expect a straight answer on here!! lol

I have done AA Route Maps and Google directions and even written out my own directions in shorthand in the past, I often use google before I hop in the car along with national and local A-Z's.

I just don't find looking at a sheet of paper full of letters and numbers, trying to find where I am on the list, then reading the next instruction practical. I also do not have time (or admittedly, the patience) to pull over and check.

I have also been sent down the odd dead end by a Tom Tom, but out of the plethora of brands that I have used in the past they have been the best by far - yes - they cannot be expected to be 100% accurate 100% of the time. But by the same token, nor can reading instructions off a sheet of paper as then you have to account for human error - which in my case would far outstrip computer error.

Does anybody know who sells Tom Toms at the best price?

I’ve got a garmin nuvi 255 ( probably out of date now)and can honestly say it’s one of the best things I’ve ever bought and I keep it on all the time even if I know where I’m going so as to get used to the instructions and the little quirks . (eg sometimes it will tell you to turn left when there is just a bend in the road ), but if you keep practising looking at the map in conjunction with the instructions , you get better at using it and not make so many mistakes .

I suppose it all depends on how much you are going to use it as to how much to spend . as Webbo says , if you just want basic instructions just get a cheapo , but if you want to use it regularly it’s well worth getting something with live mapping and lane advice .

as for pricing and range etc , it is hard to beat Amazon ( although halfords often do good deals at sale times), but there really is such a wide range it's almost mind boggling :D:thumbup:

Webbo, Zingari, thanks (finally!) for some decent answers - Tom Tom is my preferred brand.

I have used my brothers binatone in the past (not sure which one) and aside from covering a large part of the windscreen because it was huge, it was VERY inaccurate and also quite slow too! I can be a bit useless with computers sometimes but I can get on with Tom Toms quite well! Call it the Nokia 3210 of the sat-nav world! I would need a decent one as I would use it every day.

Halfords looks like a good bet, looks like timing is the key to catch the sales. I have to say I hadn't thought of amazon, I always thought it was like eBay? Or do they sell items new as well?

Webbo, Zingari, thanks (finally!) for some decent answers - Tom Tom is my preferred brand.

I have used my brothers binatone in the past (not sure which one) and aside from covering a large part of the windscreen because it was huge, it was VERY inaccurate and also quite slow too! I can be a bit useless with computers sometimes but I can get on with Tom Toms quite well! Call it the Nokia 3210 of the sat-nav world! I would need a decent one as I would use it every day.

Halfords looks like a good bet, looks like timing is the key to catch the sales. I have to say I hadn't thought of amazon, I always thought it was like eBay? Or do they sell items new as well?

Amazon

Cheers mate

dunno if this is of any interest to you andy

Spend £20 or more on fuel at Tesco Petrol Filling Stations between 12th September and 9th October 2011, and you will receive a £20 discount coupon to spend at Tesco on any available TomTom sat-nav

http://www.tescotechsupport.com/tomtom/?sssdmh=edc3.461669&utm_campaign=nl201130nf&utm_source=&utm_medium=email&utm_content=tom&utm_term=

dunno if this is of any interest to you andy

Spend £20 or more on fuel at Tesco Petrol Filling Stations between 12th September and 9th October 2011, and you will receive a £20 discount coupon to spend at Tesco on any available TomTom sat-nav

http://www.tescotechsupport.com/tomtom/?sssdmh=edc3.461669&utm_campaign=nl201130nf&utm_source=&utm_medium=email&utm_content=tom&utm_term=

I'm liking your style - thanks again! :)

EBay I think the guy is keen to sell. :D

Why is bird the word?

:rolleyes: Everybody knows the bird's the word.

I had a couple of Navmans. Admittedly, they both broke, but I found in terms of function they were better than any other I've used.

Made the mistake of buying a Binatone. It was very cheap but, unfortunately, absolute shite. I gave up using it entirely because it was so troublesome.

Garmins are good and reliable.

For a good deal, check the Tesco /Argos / Currys outlets on eBay. They sell stuff cheap and it's generally perfectly good catalogue returns.

Edited by BornBlue