Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LCFC_FAN_1995

Boxing

19 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

Maybe I'm a dash more cynical then, but nothing I've seen makes me think otherwise. 

This wrestling thing...I thought his big aim was to make boxing respectable again? Or was it to prove he was hungry again? Or that he wanted to win something again? 

He says what people want to hear, and the IBC and so on didn't want to hear that he was wealthy, young, and having fun. He's a gypsy, let's not forgot, and without typecasting too broadly they're not known for their honesty and integrity. 

The reason he didn't get back in the ring with Wlad was because it would've ended his career in spite of a few sheckles. 

You are not cynical , just a Bigot 

@Mark if this was “Muslim” “black” etc.... we would be dealing with it 

FT is better than letting a bigot clown like this have a platform !!! 

that’s a disgusting comment !!!! 

1 minute ago, LinekersLugs said:

2 minutes ago, LinekersLugs said:

Aye. I've never heard of that demographic being known for their salesmanship. 

If it's out of line by all means remove it. 

1 hour ago, foxile5 said:

It absolutely is accurate. He took two years off on the gear and and just said 'demons', immediately absolved him. 

From how he went down hill with drugs and alcohol and depression obesity, to come bk and dominate a fight against the most dangerous heavyweight in years, fair play to him the bloke deserves a bit of credit 

3 minutes ago, lestajigs said:

From how he went down hill with drugs and alcohol and depression obesity, to come bk and dominate a fight against the most dangerous heavyweight in years, fair play to him the bloke deserves a bit of credit 

Absolutely. Got rid of some weight to be sure. 

I just suspect, very heavily, that the depression was absolute bollocks and he is laying it on for sympathy. I've had some closer experience with depression and it doesn't fit for me. 

53 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

Maybe I'm a dash more cynical then, but nothing I've seen makes me think otherwise. 

This wrestling thing...I thought his big aim was to make boxing respectable again? Or was it to prove he was hungry again? Or that he wanted to win something again? 

He says what people want to hear, and the IBC and so on didn't want to hear that he was wealthy, young, and having fun. He's a gypsy, let's not forgot, and without typecasting too broadly they're not known for their honesty and integrity. 

The reason he didn't get back in the ring with Wlad was because it would've ended his career in spite of a few sheckles. 

The wrestling thing, which I’m not sure how it has anything to do with his mental health but there we are, is purely a cash thing. And let’s remember the guy can’t box at the minute so it’s also giving him something to do, and raising his US profile ahead of the Wilder fight. It’s a little ridiculous but then Tyson is a bit ridiculous, it’s a much more suitable adjective for him than scumbag at least in my opinion.

And I’m not having that, what he did to himself got a lot closer to ending his career than anything Wladimir Klitschko, who let’s remember Fury completely outboxed, could do to him. And that’s without the big pay day.

And it’s his journey back that’s convinced me really, I did think like you at one point he’d just caught Wlad on an off day knew that full well and was binging off into the sunset thinking it’s never getting better than this. But then he’s come back and not only getting in with Wilder but in most people opinions beat him, and that’s showed he must want to box and believes he belongs at the top table and his time out was genuinely due to serious issues. 

Edited by Manwell Pablo

Just now, foxile5 said:

Absolutely. Got rid of some weight to be sure. 

I just suspect, very heavily, that the depression was absolute bollocks and he is laying it on for sympathy. I've had some closer experience with depression and it doesn't fit for me. 

From watching that interview he (a real eye opener) i’m 90% sure he is genuine, have a watch very very good 

6 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

The wrestling thing, which I’m not sure how it has anything to do with his mental health but there we are, is purely a cash thing. And let’s remember the guy can’t box at the minute so it’s also giving him something to do, and raising his US profile ahead of the Wilder fight. It’s a little ridiculous but then Tyson is a bit ridiculous, it’s a much more suitable adjective for him than scumbag at least in my opinion.

And I’m not having that, what he did to himself got a lot closer to ending his career than anything Wladimir Klitschko, who let’s remember Fury completely outboxed, could do to him. And that’s without the big pay day.

And it’s his journey back that’s convinced me really, I did think like you at one point he’d just caught Wlad on an off day knew that full well and was binging off into the sunset thinking it’s never getting better than this. But then he’s come back and not only got in with Wilder but in most people opinions beat him, and that’s showed he must want to box and believes he belongs at the top table and his time out was genuinely due to serious issues. 

I'll watch the interview here but I've serious reservations. Happy to have my mind changed, however. 

The wrestling thing was more of an example of his ability to be a chameleon to suit his own purpose. He was all about bringing the 'class' and what not into boxing. Until he wanted to be accepted in America, then it was Stars and Stripes and wrestling. 

1 minute ago, foxile5 said:

I'll watch the interview here but I've serious reservations. Happy to have my mind changed, however. 

The wrestling thing was more of an example of his ability to be a chameleon to suit his own purpose. He was all about bringing the 'class' and what not into boxing. Until he wanted to be accepted in America, then it was Stars and Stripes and wrestling. 

Oh he knows how to market himself no debate there.

I do at the same time think the wrestling thing has also shown how bad he is at acting completely fake though, he’s been utterly cringe worthy in the build up as he can’t act.

1 minute ago, foxile5 said:

Yea. I find it all a bit weird tbf all this American loving, seems even like he has swapped Birth rights 😆 but as a traveller maybe he is not as proud of england as most are, 

2 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

It’s not that, he just wants them to buy his fights.

Its a real shame he needs to do that, because he doesn’t have the same support of British boxers in the past hatton etc, i for 1 prefer him to AJ, but even he has better support 

1 minute ago, lestajigs said:

Its a real shame he needs to do that, because he doesn’t have the same support of British boxers in the past hatton etc, i for 1 prefer him to AJ, but even he has better support 

Loads of reasons behind that, many of which aren’t his fault, some are.

I don’t think it’s a case of need though, if he wanted to base himself here and box on ppv he’d earn good money, he’s trying to make the kind of money you can only make in the states and appealing to the American public is a big part of that.

9 hours ago, Izzy said:

Yeah, I know what you mean.

I assume he must have been piss tested during his camp and pre/post fight though?

Even so, with his history I still can't really warm to the fella or fully respect his achievements.

What I find very puzzling is that he still has a 6-pack and a defined waist at 175!?

I also find it interesting that Pacquiao still has a lot of haters calling him a cheat despite never failing a drug test, yet the same people - Many of them Floyd fans and in turn Canelo fans as it makes Floyd look good - are adamant Canelo was innocent and simply ate tainted meat?! To me, if they're willing to overlook his 2 failed tests, it means they don't really believe Pacquiao is a cheat, more they hate the fact that he was able to do what he did around 2008 - 2012 and did it in a more entertaining way than Canelo or Floyd.. But I digress.

As for the Canelo vs Kovalev fight, is it just me or was the whole pacing of the fight very strange to watch? Just a weird feel to it for me.

Edited by Kendal Fox

2 hours ago, Kendal Fox said:

What I find very puzzling is that he still has a 6-pack and a defined waist at 175!?

I also find it interesting that Pacquiao still has a lot of haters calling him a cheat despite never failing a drug test, yet the same people - Many of them Floyd fans and in turn Canelo fans as it makes Floyd look good - are adamant Canelo was innocent and simply ate tainted meat?! To me, if they're willing to overlook his 2 failed tests, it means they don't really believe Pacquiao is a cheat, more they hate the fact that he was able to do what he did around 2008 - 2012 and did it in a more entertaining way than Canelo or Floyd.. But I digress.

As for the Canelo vs Kovalev fight, is it just me or was the whole pacing of the fight very strange to watch? Just a weird feel to it for me.

Nah not at all it was close to what I expected to see, Kovalev boxed at range Canelo tried to defend frustrate and bate  him into leaving openings as he was unable to box the same way he normally does, the stamina to throw numerous combinations was not there,  as as I’ve told you throughout our back forth about this fight, the effects of coming up to this division were always going to be interesting and a key factor in this fight. He did not look comfortable at all.

Very surprised he was up on the scorecards when he found the knock out punch but as I’ve said before well done to him on bringing his power up and persisting within swinging counters, he got the one needed eventually and thankfully those cards were not needed.

Dont like the talk about drugs myself muscle weighs more than fat. Not saying he’s definitely clean but surely given his previous and the scenario of bulking in this fight you’d like to think there was a fairly thorough job done in terms of testing him.

Edited by Manwell Pablo

I think there’s a huge element of bullshit to what Fury comes out with and he contradicts himself every week.

I don’t doubt that he was in a sorry state though, you only have to watch the videos of him to see he was a fat mess and high as a kite. No-one of sound reason would do that to themselves when they have the the world at their feet.

I don’t believe everything he says about his depression, but there’s certainly enough truth and sense in what he says when asked more sincere questions. Whether he’s lying or not, to lose nearly 10st in a year and end up (winning) against Wilder is admirable for anyone. 

This comeback story has turned him from villain to hero and he’s playing up to that. It doesn’t help that the media have latched onto his every tired cliché and he’s being used as a poster boy for mental health. Remember all that shit about him donating the Wilder purse to the homeless? lol 

The WWE is cringe but you can’t begrudge him earning extra dough. Just listening to his boxing interviews, I don’t think he’s that bothered about it anymore. If he does face and beat Wilder, I can’t imagine he’d be arsed with a third fight against him. 

21 hours ago, Manwell Pablo said:

Nah not at all it was close to what I expected to see, Kovalev boxed at range Canelo tried to defend frustrate and bate  him into leaving openings as he was unable to box the same way he normally does, the stamina to throw numerous combinations was not there,  as as I’ve told you throughout our back forth about this fight, the effects of coming up to this division were always going to be interesting and a key factor in this fight. He did not look comfortable at all.

Very surprised he was up on the scorecards when he found the knock out punch but as I’ve said before well done to him on bringing his power up and persisting within swinging counters, he got the one needed eventually and thankfully those cards were not needed.

Dont like the talk about drugs myself muscle weighs more than fat. Not saying he’s definitely clean but surely given his previous and the scenario of bulking in this fight you’d like to think there was a fairly thorough job done in terms of testing him.

I was more referring to Kovalev and his reluctance to get out of 1st gear. The guy probably has one of, if not the best jab in boxing, yet was pitty patting with it, not using it in the way he should against a shorter opponent. I get that he was mindful of what might come back at him, but this is a guy who has taken shots from far bigger punchers than Canelo, so the fact he wasn't prepared to take even a calculated risk disappointed me. Also, he simply did not want to throw the right hand off the jab. That also surprised me and it wasn't as if Canelo was making any inroads during the first half of the fight at least. 

I also didn't like the way some of the pre-fight announcements were already acknowledging Canelo as a 4 weight Champ!? What was that about?

I just found it very anti-climatic and not the dynamic fight I'd hoped for.

Edited by Kendal Fox

17 minutes ago, Kendal Fox said:

I was more referring to Kovalev and his reluctance to get out of 1st gear. The guy probably has one of, if not the best jab in boxing, yet was pitty patting with it, not using it in the way he should against a shorter opponent. I get that he was mindful of what might come back at him, but this is a guy who has taken shots from far bigger punchers than Canelo, so the fact he wasn't prepared to take even a calculated risk disappointed me. Also, he simply did not want to throw the right hand off the jab. That also surprised me and it wasn't as if Canelo was making any inroads during the first half of the fight at least. 

I also didn't like the way some of the pre-fight announcements were already acknowledging Canelo as a 4 weight Champ!? What was that about?

I just found it very anti-climatic and not the dynamic fight I'd hoped for.

Canelo did not give him an awful lot to work with to be fair, his defence was easily the best aspect of his fight and yeah I agree it didn’t make for Great entertainment. No point wasting energy snapping out powerful jabs straight into a solid front guard that won’t score.

He was very worried about what was coming back yes, and I think you are selling him a little short, there is enough venom to knock anyone out (bar golovkin lol) in canelos punches, he’s got a highlight real of brutal kos to his name, and I think the manner in  which Kovalev was put to sleep sort of vindicates his game plan. Most people thought he was winning the fight and Saturday was all about the W for both men.

21 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

Canelo did not give him an awful lot to work with to be fair, his defence was easily the best aspect of his fight and yeah I agree it didn’t make for Great entertainment. No point wasting energy snapping out powerful jabs straight into a solid front guard that won’t score.

He was very worried about what was coming back yes, and I think you are selling him a little short, there is enough venom to knock anyone out (bar golovkin lol) in canelos punches, he’s got a highlight real of brutal kos to his name, and I think the manner in  which Kovalev was put to sleep sort of vindicates his game plan. Most people thought he was winning the fight and Saturday was all about the W for both men.

Well, I realise it was probably the most jaded version of Kovalev to date but I still thought he would throw more caution to the wind. Yes he was knocked out in the 11th, but part of the way he collapsed was from exhaustion - you could see that he simply didn't have the strength to get up, rather than he was flat on his back, out cold. Had he landed some heavy right hands earlier, Canelo may not have been able to land knock out punches later... Still, it went the way it was supposed to so all academic I guess.

Digressing but perhaps Golovkin's performances vs Canelo were better than advertised?! But, like Kovalev, he is way past his best and was originally supposed to face Canelo in 2015, only for Canelo to pull out. Doubt GGG wins in a 3rd fight now though.

19 hours ago, TK95 said:

Think it's a farce it actually counts as a professional fight. And it's box office!

Worse than Freddie Flintoff lol

Live and let live for me, people want to see it more power to them, I’m certainly not staying up till 4am and paying £20 to watch it though.

I find it hilarious they have a top world champion in Billy Joe boxing on their under card though 😂

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Think that’s kind of the whole point why they’re doing it, Sky and Matchroom know it won’t be traditional sports & boxing fans cup of tea but it’s a way to bridge the gap between online entertainment and the mainstream. 

I'm not sure there's really a gap that needs bridging. Boxing is boxing and whatever YouTube shit they do is YouTube shit. I don't like the way they're using the sport of boxing to boost their profile and bank balance.

I dont know if professional boxing boxing is the best way to bridge that gap to be fair, but you kind of have to respect both as they’ve both been training like professional fighters for a prolonged period of time in preparation for this. 

Tbh, if I was going to get paid a shit load of money to box, I'd probably train hard and prepare well too. I don't even know what they're 'famous' for or what their talent is so struggle to respect them really.

Eddie Hearn has said he knows it isn’t going to be the best boxing showcase ever, but he’s going to make a **** load of money and potentially attract a new generation of boxing fans from a young, and massive audience. 

I doubt spotty teenagers watching their YouTube hero's give each other a slap and tickle will convert them into boxing fans. Could be wrong...

Hopefully it wont be too terrible, I think expectations are low from real boxing fans anyway so it should hopefully be able to surpass them (just about) - either way Sky will make a fvckload of money.

Yeah, good for Eddie and good for Sky. It's all about the benjamins baby