Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LCFC_FAN_1995

Boxing

18 hours ago, LinekersLugs said:

JJ Nevin could have been a global star , but in the end he isn’t very bright and liked booze 

To be fair to him you look around at the modern day competition in and around his weight and it’s enough to drive you to drink (not that that’s the reason why he loves tipping booze down his neck)

A few good pay days around for those who apply themselves, much less talented boxers from gb/ie have made a mint around that weight (Crolla being the prime example)

Its not too late for him I don’t think, you are right he’s is not the smartest and has wasted far too many years but he seems to have grown up a bit in the last few years, and a good run could see a pretty big pay day, but that’s probably about as good as it gets for him now. Shame as he was a fantastic amateur.

Edited by Manwell Pablo
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, RonnieTodger said:

Smith v Ryder and Wilder v Ortiz 2 this weekend.

Both should be pretty one sided but will give them a watch. First Wilder Ortiz was great but he's another two years or so older, will be an earlier finish I reckon.

Agree, should be a relatively easy night for smith and hard to see Ortiz being significantly improved now he’s 56 of however old he’s alleged to be.

It’s a fight this lads,  JR is up for it 

size is looking a weapon for the smaller man 

just goes to show tactics can make all the difference 

Ryder pulls off the shock of 2019 

I don’t care what the judges say 

he has won this 

Edited by LinekersLugs

Smith won for me, just,  nicked a few to many rounds with the cleaner work. All good looking at Ryder getting in close and letting his hands go but how many of those shots are actually scoring shots.

Not to take anything away from Ryder he did fantastically well,  or excuse the judges 116-112 is a stretch and 117 is just ridiculous.

8 hours ago, Stephen Hughes said:

Frustrating how poor of a boxer Wilder is, but he can beat anyone with one punch! Folded Ortiz up.

Yep, and it’s not can, he does.

it’s getting to point now where I’m thinking instead of pointing out the fact he can’t box for toffee and ridiculing him for it, we should be asking ourselves a question, does he really need to when he consistently manages to find a home for that right hand at some point in a 12 round fight, be it early mid  or late on. 

We’ve seen everyone from a basic just above American domestic level fighter like Gerald Washington to Tyson Fury outbox him, it doesn’t matter, when he hits them it’s lights out. You've got to think maybe Joshua is the only one with a real chance and that’d be purely by putting him to sleep before he gets whacked himself. But I’d be leaning towards wilder now, and as for fury he’s gonna have to steer clear of it for 12 rounds, it’s a big ask.

1 hour ago, STEVIE B said:

What happened ? Report required please ! 

He just got outboxed by Antony Cacace, threw a lot of leather just missed an awful lot and was being with caught clean, hard shots himself, increasingly so as the fight got away from him, Cacace was in and out and just seemed to have a bit to much technical skill for Bowen’s hustle, he got bust up tbh. His eye got mashed up early and would of been hard to see out of so he’d of been struggling to see the shots coming which wouldn’t have helped.  He was lucky one judge saw it his way.

Looking at the footage of Ruiz on Sky today, he doesn't look to have lost a significant amount of weight if any. Not that he really needs to as he's obviously used to being the size he is, but you'd think a 20 pound drop would benefit his stamina and mobility, especially as AJ is clearly lighter now.

That said, unless they've held a gun to his head (in a metaphorical sense), still think he has a good chance of winning again.

Watched a re-run of the Ruiz/Joshua fight earlier. First time I’ve actually watched it ! Joshua was so easy to hit and doesn’t take a punch at all well. If Ruiz hasn’t gone down the route of past heavyweight shock champions ( Leon Spinks, Buster Douglas etc ), l see a similar outcome.