Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LCFC_FAN_1995

Boxing

13 hours ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

There was a programme (I think BBC 3 online only) about something similar (believe it was an MMA fighter losing more than 10% of his body weight for the weigh-in/fight). Very good watch for those who may not know too much about it (or those who haven't seen and do know about it). Let me find a link.

Here it is:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04t3x61

I have been paid to fight 

I know all about cutting 👍👍

and the dangers it presents 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Col city fan said:

He’s had to shed a load of weight for this one. There’s a weigh in on the day before the fight. Worries me this one, just want it over with tbh

Stupid boy 

sorry Col but he is ! 

cutting is a science and unless you have the proper backing and support its way too risky 

I cut 15 pounds in 7 days once and I was 145 pounds ! I nearly died just in the sauna on the morning of weigh in ! 

He needs to knock that on the head Col ! 

seriously buddy have a word 

19 minutes ago, LinekersLugs said:

Stupid boy 

sorry Col but he is ! 

cutting is a science and unless you have the proper backing and support its way too risky 

I cut 15 pounds in 7 days once and I was 145 pounds ! I nearly died just in the sauna on the morning of weigh in ! 

He needs to knock that on the head Col ! 

seriously buddy have a word 

Bit over the top mate I think he’s still fighting regional 4 rounders and I do think you should be saying things like that to him. The lads not going to stop because his old man asks him as he’s clearly well into it and from what Col has said he’s been doing well, and with days recent unfortunate death is probably more worried than he is normally....plus a normal “shed load of weight” is different to a boxing “shed load of weight” and it could be the former.

As I’ve said to Col before though vigilance around this sort of thing is key, and if he’s concerned should ask questions either on here (via DM if he doesn’t want it public) or elsewhere if he feels more comfortable doing that. I’d like to say boxing had some sort of body that would do that but the nature of the sport is brutal in and out the ring and the general consensus is you choose to fight it’s at your own risk.

But to add to the weight cutting thing yes it’s basic to anyone who knows about boxing that layer of water that sits in your head protects you far more than people realise.

Edited by Manwell Pablo
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Manwell Pablo said:

Bit over the top mate I think he’s still fighting regional 4 rounders and I do think you should be saying things like that to him. The lads not going to stop because his old man asks him as he’s clearly well into it and from what Col has said he’s been doing well, and with days recent unfortunate death is probably more worried than he is normally....plus a normal “shed load of weight” is different to a boxing “shed load of weight” and it could be the former.

As I’ve said to Col before though vigilance around this sort of thing is key, and if he’s concerned should ask questions either on here (via DM if he doesn’t want it public) or elsewhere if he feels more comfortable doing that. I’d like to say boxing had some sort of body that would do that but the nature of the sport is brutal in and out the ring and the general consensus is you choose to fight it’s at your own risk.

But to add to the weight cutting thing yes it’s basic to anyone who knows about boxing that layer of water that sits in your head protects you far more than people realise.

Regional 4 rounders and cutting a “shed a load of weight“

have a word with yourself Manwell 

I know what it’s like to cut , I’m not sure you do 

I’m sorry not going to pussy about with this 

it’s a dangerous sport and cutting weight is a science people in regional 4 rounders are the ones who get injured , unless your a pro or Fully supported amateur you shouldn’t be cutting “shed loads” of weight 

Col I’m very sorry if I upset you , that was never my intention, some people like to talk and write about things and others have walked the talk , I know who I’d like some advice from 

Col I’m sending you a DM 

2 hours ago, LinekersLugs said:

Regional 4 rounders and cutting a “shed a load of weight“

have a word with yourself Manwell 

I know what it’s like to cut , I’m not sure you do 

I’m sorry not going to pussy about with this 

it’s a dangerous sport and cutting weight is a science people in regional 4 rounders are the ones who get injured , unless your a pro or Fully supported amateur you shouldn’t be cutting “shed loads” of weight 

Col I’m very sorry if I upset you , that was never my intention, some people like to talk and write about things and others have walked the talk , I know who I’d like some advice from 

Col I’m sending you a DM 

I know those that box or have boxed like to use the "been there done that"  and get high and mighty about the opinions of people that haven't but it ultimately does not mean that much, you don't have to been through it to fully understand the risks of cutting weight and you are completely right in what you say, very, very few people die in amateur boxing compared to the pro rank, but I've told Col before you don't play at boxing and it's not something you should really do as a fun hobby at all, and my advice is and always has been it's best left well alone full stop never mind cutting weight as well, and I have told him that.  But when all is said and done it is non of my business and the infrequency of which Col posts and vague manor of his posts about it suggest he doesn't want to much input.

And as stated Col's definition of a shed load of weight is probably not quite as drastic as what you envisage as a shed load of weight, I would think it would probably be preferable to make sure you are in possession of all the facts before making people panic. I doubt he's drying himself to anything like the extent you are imaging i.e a professional level, it's quite possible he is just trimming down to what should be his actual natural weight with a bit of extra training. There's a massive difference between your everyday blokes "losing weight" and cutting weight to make a low weight class in boxing and you should know that if you've done it. If it is the latter I totally agree it is not just unadvisable it is stupid for amateur fight.

Like I say he is probably worried enough as it is try and understand the situation fully and perhaps use less drastic language, by all means provide advice, the lad is not getting in the ring tomorrow there is no rush to get your point across and remember if you do convince him to have a word he is the one who is then going to have to try and talk his lad out of doing it and that may not be possible no matter how high the risk.

Edited by Manwell Pablo
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Spot on @Manwell Pablo.

You should tone it down a wee bit @LinekersLugs, you can get your message across without putting the fear of god into the guy. It’s not something he can control is it?

All the best col, I hope your boy wins but most importantly stays safe.

I will apologies though as I've said it isn't like he's getting in the ring tomorrow......and he is getting in the ring tomorrow lol, so Gaelic is probably a bit more justified in acting the way he has.

But yes I've already said this but best of luck to him.

Edited by Manwell Pablo

No worries all! All opinions valued x

On the subject of being vague, I’d love to give out more info (and photos) as I’m immensely proud of the kid.

But he’s asked me to keep it on the low down so just respecting his wishes

Edited by Col city fan
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

No worries all! All opinions valued x

On the subject of being vague, I’d love to give out more info (and photos) as I’m immensely proud of the kid.

But he’s asked me to keep it on the low down so just respecting his wishes

As is your prerogative.