Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
samlcfc1

Holidays 2012

My lads holidays so far, ranked...

Thailand > Kos > Magaluf > Malia > Kavos > Zante.

Zante wasn't shit, it just wasn't quite as god as the others.

Hoping to take the missus (who I met in Zante :blink: ) away next month, Egypt all inclusive is looking the most likely, Guaranteed sun and relatively affordable compared to alot of places.

Haha, you met your missus in Zante and it was your worst holiday experience!

• 5 weeks later...

Speak to a GP about injections. Or check the NHS travel website. Depending on destination you may also need to take anti malarial tablets.

Whereabouts are you going to be? India is a big place. I lived there for 6 months so happy to share my knowledge but really depends on where you're going.

Speak to a GP about injections. Or check the NHS travel website. Depending on destination you may also need to take anti malarial tablets.

Whereabouts are you going to be? India is a big place. I lived there for 6 months so happy to share my knowledge but really depends on where you're going.

From what I can remember, we'll be spending time in Delhi, Agra, Varanasi, Bodhgaya, Bhubaneswar... ah, there's more but I can't find the itinerary at the moment. We're predominantly in the North, and everywhere we're going is either a short flight or overnight train away.

If you could give me some advice on what it's like being there (one preconceived concern is the heat...) that would be really great.

I'll have a word with the GP right away then.

Cool. Am on phone and no time to reply properly tonight but will get back to you tomorrow. India is an amazing, challenging, upsetting and uplifting place. The best piece of advice is to have an open mind and a fair amount of patience but I'll respond with the specifics tomorrow!

First of all I'm no expert. I lived in Mumbai for 6 months and did a bit of travelling but as I said it's a huge country and everything from food and language to appearance and culture can change dramatically as you go from state to state. Somone like The Singh has a much more intimate knowledge of the country, I will just tell you what I know.

Also try to not do TOO much research before you go. India is much more rewarding, surprising and enriching when you discover it for yourself, not just through the eyes of a travel guide or an internet forum. As such I can give you some practical tips but some of the quirks, challenges and surprises I'll leave to you to find out for yourself when you're there.

First of all - get an umbrella. If you're going in August regardless of where you are in the country it's likely to be raining as that is bang in the middle of the monsoon. Some days it can rain constantly, other days just a shower but rest assured it WILL rain and they'll be a lot of it. The best time to visit is generally in the British winter months - December to February.

Secondly, as I said before, have an open mind and a lot of patience. India is a challenging place for many reasons, itineraries rarely go exactly to plan so be prepared to be flexible.

Thirdly India is an incredibly poor country but with an extreme gulf between the richest and the poorest. You will see things that will probably change the way you think about the world - I certainly did. So try to consider before you go how you might be able to help while you're there. I don't know how long you'll be there for but even if it's just 2 weeks you should be able to find time to help a little. There is a plethora of volunteering opportunities and an overwhelming need. Have a think about what you can do.

Fourthly read some literature before you go and while you're there. I found reading about India (fiction and non-fiction) added a lot to the experience. For fiction I'd recommend Rohinton Mistry - A Fine Balance, for non-fiction try The Age of Kali by William Dalrymple. There's loads more, let me know if you want some more suggestions.

Lastly and I won't go into detail but expect attention. Luckily you're not a pretty white blonde girl (I assume) but you are white and as such don't be surprised to get a lot of attention. I don't think I ever got used to this. It will depend partly on where you are but even in the most touristy places we were still stared at, hassled (not in an intimidating way) and stared at some more. It can be a strage experience but just go with the flow, have a laugh about it and enjoy the experience.

Hope that helps. If you want any specific questions answering let me know, happy to help. It's a wonderful country but also a deeply disturbing one. There's a lot of romance about India but beneath the surface it can be a very distressing place. Above all it's an experience and one you won't forget!

Awesome :D That was a good read, so thanks for the time you've taken to do that.

I'm a bit of a little blonde girl inside but I'll man up and just go with it :P

I wasn't really thinking about the rain, so I'll consider getting an umbrella...

I'm definitely looking forward to the life-changing experience it will be, which is reinforced by the positive experiences and reports people who've spent time there are giving :D

I am being treated by my partner, to an eight day tour of the Northern Highlands of Scotland.

She just got a few grand compensation from Morrisons, where she slipped on a piece of banana, and damaged her neck! :banana:

Wasn't you who put the banana there was it?

• 2 months later...

Looking at a self catering holiday in Halkidiki Greece but I've been told that food and drink over there is really expensive atm. Anybody been in Greece recently?

Looking at a self catering holiday in Halkidiki Greece but I've been told that food and drink over there is really expensive atm. Anybody been in Greece recently?

Just been zante, no more expensive then the rest of europe, about 2 - 3 euros a beer and 25 for a BJ

• 2 weeks later...

Got back from Tenerife yesterday had a great time the football helped Ireland Spain match was a great atmosphere, I couldn't believe how cheap it was either 95 cents for a frosted pint of dorada (there local beer) fantastic stuff! We stopped in Los Christianos was very quite in te day but seemed to come alive at night and if you want a big night out playa de las Americas is only 5 mins away! We went to the water park Sian park was incredible definitely worth a visit

Where can you get travel insurance from? I fly

On Tuesday morning on a stag do in Zante!!! Can't wait!!

There's loads of sites on the net. You used to be able to pick it up at Tescos as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Off to Can Picafort on monday week. All inclusive. Can't wait.

I went to Can Picafort about 15 years ago. IIrc it was about 50/50 Brits and Germans.

Anyhoo. Off to Halkidiki a week on Monday, got the holiday feeling already.

Archived