Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
GLC

Game of Thrones - hide spoilers please.

You and your death threats. :ph34r:

:)

Did you start reading the GOT back in 1996 like I did?

Martin was never the fastest of writers but since the crappy TV series he's almost stalled completely. 17 years for how many books (don't split them in half now)?

Then you're lucky.

I re-read the first book each time a new book came out (in fact the whole series each time). I don't know if I can be bothered to do that again.

I've found it's better to wait till the end of the series and then read them all.

Jordan was bloody annoying.

It is tough I tried it with Lord of the Rings after the films came out and just didn't enjoy, my advice would be to stop watching the series until you catch up, and take your time with the books, don't rush through them as you will miss the subtlety and depth with in them and there is so much more going on in the books, you will notice Arya's story in particular is nothing like in season 2 of the TV series and Daenerys story is much more interesting and subtle, I didn't like what they did with her story in season 2, and there is a lot more of everything really much more politics and intrigue and character depth. 

I kind of see the tv series as an interesting aside to the universe created by the books, but it lacks so much depth I get a bit frustrated, and often have to explain things to my girlfriend as she doesn't always get exactly what happened, for example the Battle of Blackwater (which is so much better in the book) when Tyrion is attacked and nearly killed by one of the King's Guard, it is done so quickly and we had seen so little of the King's guard before that she completely missed that.

He is about halfway through book 6, which will probably be another 2 parter, and plans to wrap it up with a 7th book, I really hope that he isn't getting too distracted by the TV series because, as good as that is, it is vastly inferior to the books.

Agreed, but the problem with doing it as a tv show is that there is literally so much going on that it's difficult to cram everything in there. You can see now in the third series that they're struggling to get all the detail in and some characters only get thirty seconds of screen time per-episode.

Agreed, but the problem with doing it as a tv show is that there is literally so much going on that it's difficult to cram everything in there. You can see now in the third series that they're struggling to get all the detail in and some characters only get thirty seconds of screen time per-episode.

Being on the last (current) book, I'm thinking that it's getting so complex that they aren't even getting enough time in the book. The chapters are notably shorter and there are several characters who only have one or two chapters for the whole book.

Read slower Trav, after you finish this on the massive cliffhanger you can join everyone else in thinking "will the next book ever be published?". All that is out at the moment is one preview chapter from TWOW - frustrating!!

Read slower Trav, after you finish this on the massive cliffhanger you can join everyone else in thinking "will the next book ever be published?". All that is out at the moment is one preview chapter from TWOW - frustrating!!

As well as the Theon chapter there is also an Arianne Martell sample chapter on GRRM's website posted in January. Nothing much happens but might as well read if you have a few minutes.

Mention of Theon reminds me of one of the niggles of season 3, which I'm going to put in a spoiler below...

What is it with the extensive torture scenes of Theon? The slow realisation that Reek was Theon was one of the best parts of the book series!

Mention of Theon reminds me of one of the niggles of season 3, which I'm going to put in a spoiler below...

What is it with the extensive torture scenes of Theon? The slow realisation that Reek was Theon was one of the best parts of the book series!

It wasn't that slow a realisation to be fair it was obvious by the end of the first Reek chapter, I was hoping it was going to be dragged out a little longer, but I had my early suspicions and they were confirmed at the end of the chapter.

Edited by Captain Pancake Face

It wasn't that slow a realisation to be fair it was obvious by the end of the first Reek chapter, I was hoping it was going to be dragged out a little longer, but I had my early suspicions and they were confirmed at the end of the chapter.

No, I realised by the end of the chapter after having suspicions, but it was great to be left to work it out for yourself. I've never understood why most TV shows feel they have to go "HEY LOOK EVERYONE THIS IS WHAT IS ACTUALLY HAPPENING HERE, OKAY?" Also as we've said before, particularly with Robb's romance, there's loads of extraneous stuff being needlessly put in when they're already up against it telling the story as it stands to begin with.

No, I realised by the end of the chapter after having suspicions, but it was great to be left to work it out for yourself. I've never understood why most TV shows feel they have to go "HEY LOOK EVERYONE THIS IS WHAT IS ACTUALLY HAPPENING HERE, OKAY?" Also as we've said before, particularly with Robb's romance, there's loads of extraneous stuff being needlessly put in when they're already up against it telling the story as it stands to begin with.

to be fair if the TV show left it as long as the book to reveal what happened with Theon I think most would have forgotten who he was, I'm wondering how the TV show will explain how he ended up with Bolton's bastard as in the book the burning of Winterfell is very different, they may have already explained it, I'm only a couple of episodes into Series 3

I've seen the first part of it and thought the same, I can only imagine it gets worse.

A lot, lot worse.

Cracking series though, I keep meaning to read the books but haven't got round to it yet. May start next week now I'm all sorted for summer!

I had 6 free credits on audible for some reason so I have bought the first 3 audiobooks. Will get cracking on them this week.

Audio books? Can't you read? :P

I tried to get into audio books but never could. They are just not read how I read them and I found my mind wandering. I used to use them for my kids before they could read though.

The Red Wedding episode :)

Haha yep, that one indeed! Kinda thought something like that may be coming, but certainly didn't expect it like that.

I watched last night on HBO, and thought WTF, the rest of the series was dull until that moment!!  

Not having read any of the books, i'm really intrigued how this all pans out!!!

I've the first 3 books but only got half way through reading the first one. Judging from what people have said about the depth and detail, I think I'll read them afterwards, otherwise I'll get disappointed by the TV series.

Last nights ending was an absolute howitzer! Things might be getting interesting now.

Edited by Darkon84