Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
GLC

Game of Thrones - hide spoilers please.

Bitching about the differences between to different mediums is one of the most tedious things ever (book to film especially as those who have read the books seem to think they are clever just because they have read a book) really don't see why people can't appreciate them for what they without worrying too much about what's been added or what's been taken away. I know plenty of people who have read the books who seem able to do this and are therefore appreciate Game of Thrones for what it is, one of the best TV knocking about, I even know some who even think it surpasses the book due to it's cutting out pointless detail, not going to comment myself as I've never read them. 

Pointless bitching and whining, is so tedious...  :ph34r:

I think they're currently about 2/3rds of the way through the 3rd book (counting the 2 as one book), so I get what Cap means. Too much for one episode, but not enough for a whole series. All I can think is that they're going to break away from the books altogether as far as the spacing of the story goes (book 4 is actually running alongside book 3 time-wise and parts of it have been incorporated, but not an awful lot.)

You mean book 4 and 5? and with the number of new characters introduced in book 4 they will have to cut quite a bit, I can see them ignoring the whole sand vipers stuff and just introducing it all through Griff. They will probably reduce down a lot of the Kings moot stuff and just introduce Euron Crow's eye, but that still leaves a hell of a lot to fit in.

I have read all the books and haven't seen any of the TV series and was always going to wait until the last two books were out, and I had read them, before going back and watching the series on DVD. I have pretty strong ideas on the main characters and the plot and, although my father - who has read the first book and then watched the first series and is now reading the 2nd book before watching the 2nd series etc.. - says that the TV series is pretty well done (he raves about the imp) when compared with the books, I don't want my imaginings to be demystified/affected by the series. 

Just interested in what other people think on this as there is a DVD box set at my dad's that I could quite easily collect. 

Read the books first. Watch the TV series in it's entirety after.

You mean book 4 and 5? and with the number of new characters introduced in book 4 they will have to cut quite a bit, I can see them ignoring the whole sand vipers stuff and just introducing it all through Griff. They will probably reduce down a lot of the Kings moot stuff and just introduce Euron Crow's eye, but that still leaves a hell of a lot to fit in.

Until I just checked I'd always thought that book 4 was concurrent to book 3 - but it's actually 5. In any case there still more than enough to fill one episode of series 3 left.

I was thinking we were cross-purposes regarding book 3 being split over two books.

Had a feeling that Robb might be the one to kick it last night, and Talisa, surprised about Catelyn though. Really have no idea where this story is going now though as for a long while I thought a massive part of the story would be a battle between the northerners and Lannisters.

I really should read the books but can't find the time!

Bitching about the differences between to different mediums is one of the most tedious things ever (book to film especially as those who have read the books seem to think they are clever just because they have read a book) really don't see why people can't appreciate them for what they without worrying too much about what's been added or what's been taken away. I know plenty of people who have read the books who seem able to do this and are therefore appreciate Game of Thrones for what it is, one of the best TV knocking about, I even know some who even think it surpasses the book due to it's cutting out pointless detail, not going to comment myself as I've never read them.

My concerns weren't really about this. The two mediums are very different and those watching a tv series after having read the books have to acknowledge that there are 'limitations' to film that the imagination just does not have. Also, you are being invited into another person's interpretation (whether that is the director, producer or the actor). That interpretation is valid in the same way as I might meet a friend and talk about the books over a beer and find that person has a completely different take on a character or a plot line. What is of interest is that the medium of television has the ability to impose an interpretation on me that might affect the way I read. I am more than happy to watch the tv series and I really do not think I will be dissapointed. The question is: do I watch them now when there is still 2 books to go and when I have my own personally interpretated world of Game of Thrones in my head? Do I wait and read the books and conclude that world as I see it and then look at it through someone else's eyes?

Read the books first. Watch the TV series in it's entirety after.

I think I am going to do that! Thanks.

I'm not sure why everyone thinks its needs to be exactly like the books? every seen Dexter? its completely different and works fine! its ok to like both you know! 

Nobody thinks it has to be exactly like the books, I have enjoyed some of the scenes with the characters that aren't focussed on in the books, Olenna Martell's scenes in series 3 are great, likewise some of the scenes with Varys and Littlefinger add an extra dimension to these characters. I also understand the time and artistic constraints so I don't mind some truncating and changing of the story arcs.

It is just baffling when they cut bits that are important to the plot and yet include pointless scenes that add nothing, or just make strange changes when it would have been quicker, easier and more consistent to follow the book. Normally to add some more tits or gratuitous violence.

Edited by Captain Pancake Face

At the end of this weeks episode I think I sat in silence for about 10 minutes, the Red Wedding scene was emotional.

Knew something was about to go down as soon as the band started playing the Lannisters music. Why they have to take Rob and his beautiful wife though 

tumblr_lmafw3iOgu1qc4ylc.jpg

Then you had Bolton & Frey like

wnaVAfQ.pngNYk9mJW.png

I'm not going to read the thread as I've only just started Season 2... but one of the first episodes has one of the best lines ever on tv.

Good old Jerome Flynn with "There's no cure for being a ****". Brilliant.

At the end of this weeks episode I think I sat in silence for about 10 minutes, the Red Wedding scene was emotional.

Knew something was about to go down as soon as the band started playing the Lannisters music. Why they have to take Rob and his beautiful wife though 

tumblr_lmafw3iOgu1qc4ylc.jpg

Then you had Bolton & Frey like

wnaVAfQ.pngNYk9mJW.png

You're not the only one to get 'emotional' about what happened at the Red Wedding. Some of these reactions are brilliant:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/expresident/the-very-best-reactions-to-game-of-thrones-red-wedding

This is also good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfI7W6bmReQ

Well, with what they're going to have to cram into the last episode to keep up with the books... DO NOT CLICK ON THE SPOILER IF YOU HAVEN'T READ TO THE END OF BOOK(s) 3!

Joffrey poisened, Tyrion accused of it and jailed, then escaping and killing his dad Tywin (and Shae, who it turns out is cheating on him with his dad! (Okay, so she's a whore, but still.)) The attack on the wall and Stannis riding to the rescue. Ygritte dies (was disappointed she didn't shoot him with an arrow - thought that was yet another important detail in character) Jorah is uncovered as a spy, and is banished. Sam and Gilly has to meet Coldhands and Bran and the Reed kids. Littlefinger smuggles Sansa out of Kings Landing and marries Lysa and subsequently murdering her. Sandor Clagane dies and Arya escapes to Essos. I make that at least 6 principle characters to die in the last episode. Surely they must cut something, but what? I'd consider all of that to be relevant to future plot development. I also assume Davos will save Gendry (as Edric's replacement.) Oh and almost forgot! The epic battle between The Viper and The Mountain! 8 people to die!

I think they've left it too late, or as I said earlier, they're going to break away from the sequence of the books and possibly finish it at Joffrey's wedding.

Edited by Trav Le Bleu

Well, with what they're going to have to cram into the last episode to keep up with the books... DO NOT CLICK ON THE SPOILER IF YOU HAVEN'T READ TO THE END OF BOOK(s) 3!

Joffrey poisened, Tyrion accused of it and jailed, then escaping and killing his dad Tywin (and Shae, who it turns out is cheating on him with his dad! (Okay, so she's a whore, but still.)) The attack on the wall and Stannis riding to the rescue. Ygritte dies (was disappointed she didn't shoot him with an arrow - thought that was yet another important detail in character) Jorah is uncovered as a spy, and is banished. Sam and Gilly has to meet Coldhands and Bran and the Reed kids. Littlefinger smuggles Sansa out of Kings Landing and marries Lysa and subsequently murdering her. Sandor Clagane dies and Arya escapes to Essos. I make that at least 6 principle characters to die in the last episode. Surely they must cut something, but what? I'd consider all of that to be relevant to future plot development. I also assume Davos will save Gendry (as Edric's replacement.) Oh and almost forgot! The epic battle between The Viper and The Mountain! 8 people to die!

I think they've left it too late, or as I said earlier, they're going to break away from the sequence of the books and possibly finish it at Joffrey's wedding.

Right for the last time, they aren't doing the whole of a Storm of Swords in one series

• Like 1

I don't want them to squeeze the wedding in in the last episode. Wrap up all the shit that's gone down and leave it with a cliffhanger or something decent. Smash the royal wedding in E2 of next season or something.

I don't want them to squeeze the wedding in in the last episode. Wrap up all the shit that's gone down and leave it with a cliffhanger or something decent. Smash the royal wedding in E2 of next season or something.

It's the next big event really, the logical thing to end it on. If they're going to break here, then I reckon there will be about 4 more seasons of the show to get to where the books are now. I wonder if this was the intention to start with, the first two seasons running to the books and then they thought - "sod it, ain't going to happen". I also wondered if they were tempted to extend the season to keep it a book a season.

And having seen episode 9 now...

I was more upset for Arya than Robb, but then I kind of was in the book - Robb was an idiot if he thought everything was going to end well. Brought it on himself, while Arya was an innocent bystander who had to look on helplessly. Also, doesn't Cate start laughing hysterically when Robb is killed and she kills Walder's son (daughter in the TV), would have made it more dramatic, wonder why they dropped it?

It's the next big event really, the logical thing to end it on. If they're going to break here, then I reckon there will be about 4 more seasons of the show to get to where the books are now. I wonder if this was the intention to start with, the first two seasons running to the books and then they thought - "sod it, ain't going to happen". I also wondered if they were tempted to extend the season to keep it a book a season.

And having seen episode 9 now...

I was more upset for Arya than Robb, but then I kind of was in the book - Robb was an idiot if he thought everything was going to end well. Brought it on himself, while Arya was an innocent bystander who had to look on helplessly. Also, doesn't Cate start laughing hysterically when Robb is killed and she kills Walder's son (daughter in the TV), would have made it more dramatic, wonder why they dropped it?

They probably dropped it because there (again) was a lot more character development of Cat in the books (remember we had all her POV's of her sinking into depression and desperation, she was annoying but she was a tortured soul who's family had been ripped away from her. We don't get too much Cat time on TV ( we have Robb instead, understandably, as it's more action-y) and therefore it would probably look out of place if she started acting hysterically and crying for Ned.

I does seem like you just passive aggressively moan just for the hell of it btw.

I think the first 2 books are easier to keep to their corresponding series' but from this point the story starts to expand and different characters need more screen time. You also (like I've mentioned) need time to move characters and plot lines forward as if you just cram everything in to match the book stuff won't make sense or will seem rushed (as it would be) or out of place.

They probably dropped it because there (again) was a lot more character development of Cat in the books (remember we had all her POV's of her sinking into depression and desperation, she was annoying but she was a tortured soul who's family had been ripped away from her. We don't get too much Cat time on TV ( we have Robb instead, understandably, as it's more action-y) and therefore it would probably look out of place if she started acting hysterically and crying for Ned.

I does seem like you just passive aggressively moan just for the hell of it btw.

I think the first 2 books are easier to keep to their corresponding series' but from this point the story starts to expand and different characters need more screen time. You also (like I've mentioned) need time to move characters and plot lines forward as if you just cram everything in to match the book stuff won't make sense or will seem rushed (as it would be) or out of place.

Trav Le Bleu = Leicester City Fan = Dolorous Edd. :(