Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
GLC

Game of Thrones - hide spoilers please.

I think they're verging on being too complex. I've also said before it's not as perfect for TV as people think as it's main plotlines are political and character based, not all action, fighting and drama.

I still defend it where I think It deserves it though. Most of the changes, while unfortunate, I can understand. But yes, it's nowhere near the level the books are at, but I don't think that's down to how it's written or produced (apart from the unnecessary scenes that contribute nothing to the plot in an already tight schedule).

PS. Trav, I agree about the drowning, that would have made a great scene.

I think that is the most bizarre, I'm not sure what all the stuff with Ros (I think, the prostitute who went from Winterfell to Kings Landing was all about) and Little fingers brothel scenes in series 1, along with the Renly scenes with Loras and Maegery, I have no problem trimming the book down, but why add unnecessary stuff?

I think that is the most bizarre, I'm not sure what all the stuff with Ros (I think, the prostitute who went from Winterfell to Kings Landing was all about) and Little fingers brothel scenes in series 1, along with the Renly scenes with Loras and Maegery, I have no problem trimming the book down, but why add unnecessary stuff?

The reason behind Renly & Loras's blatant man-love is because they wanted to make it much more blatant that both characters are gay than was made out in the book (I presume).

Dunno about the whole Ros thing though... that said I haven't finished the books so maybe it'll become clear in some later development why they've bothered with that.

Ps. I'm pleased Meera and Jojen have FINALLY shown up. I was seriously wondering how on earth they were gonna try and tell Bran's story without them.

The reason behind Renly & Loras's blatant man-love is because they wanted to make it much more blatant that both characters are gay than was made out in the book (I presume).

Dunno about the whole Ros thing though... that said I haven't finished the books so maybe it'll become clear in some later development why they've bothered with that.

Ps. I'm pleased Meera and Jojen have FINALLY shown up. I was seriously wondering how on earth they were gonna try and tell Bran's story without them.

But why did it have to be so blatant, what actually makes it interesting in the book is the subtlety behind it, but cutting other scenes for it, and adding in a whole bit about prostitutes I don't understand.

As for Robb's wife, for the story who he marries isn't really that important only that he does, so I can forgive that,

I was also wondering about Meera and Jojen.

Still intrigued as to how they will tackle books 4 and 5, like the books, as the same timeline but split in 2, or keep it chronological.

A whole episode without Daenerys and the dragons. Wasn't happy.

lol - I take it that's because of the bodies.

In the books I found some of the Daenerys chapters less interesting than the other characters. Jon Snow was always my preferred chapters.

lol - I take it that's because of the bodies.

In the books I found some of the Daenerys chapters less interesting than the other characters. Jon Snow was always my preferred chapters.

Book 3 is where Daenerys starts getting interesting, up to then I didn't really see where she was going and was a bit annoying, (still to read book 5 pt1 and 2)

Book 3 is where Daenerys starts getting interesting, up to then I didn't really see where she was going and was a bit annoying, (still to read book 5 pt1 and 2)

Agreed. When I saw her titling the chapters in the early books I wasn't too worried about stopping for something to eat etc... Later books she does become interesting.

To be fair we don't know Jeyne Westerling in the books. Having a completely unknown entity that had spent no time with Robb on screen suddenly come and marry him would be a bit awkward.

We don't get POV's for Robb in the book but we do on TV, if we didn't then it would have made more sense.

Actually, the switching of Jeyne is confusing to me because, in a series where they need to make cuts to fit everything in, they had that, I felt, really out of character sequence where he meets Tulisa after the battle and which actually inserts more story in there. In the book, as you say, she just turns up as some woman Robb's picked up and barely an explaination (tsk! Teenagers! :rolleyes: ) Kind of counter-productive if you ask me.

Edited by Trav Le Bleu

But why did it have to be so blatant,

:dunno:

I find the whole thing a bit embarrassing. It seems to court controversy when it doesn't need to. The scenes aren't well shot, don't move the plot along any and seem to be there purely for the PHWOOOOOAAAAR! and WAAAAHEEEEEY! factor. At work if I ever mention the series, invariably instead of having a conversation about the strategy, the machinations, the GAME OF THRONES (that is after all what it's called), normally a few of the knuckle-draggers comment about the "tits on the blonde bird with the dragons" or such kind. Sure the books have these scenes in, but I think these parts too are poorly written and again, it's there purely for titalation rather than making you like/hate a character more/less or reveal anything about them.

I've always held that people who deliberately court controversy are trying to cover for a lack of talent. The Game of Thrones doesn't need to do that.

:dunno:

I find the whole thing a bit embarrassing. It seems to court controversy when it doesn't need to. The scenes aren't well shot, don't move the plot along any and seem to be there purely for the PHWOOOOOAAAAR! and WAAAAHEEEEEY! factor. At work if I ever mention the series, invariably instead of having a conversation about the strategy, the machinations, the GAME OF THRONES (that is after all what it's called), normally a few of the knuckle-draggers comment about the "tits on the blonde bird with the dragons" or such kind. Sure the books have these scenes in, but I think these parts too are poorly written and again, it's there purely for titalation rather than making you like/hate a character more/less or reveal anything about them.

I've always held that people who deliberately court controversy are trying to cover for a lack of talent. The Game of Thrones doesn't need to do that.

I know what you mean, but then they also sanitise some bits that are quite brutal yet quite important to the plot such as Joffrey's humiliation of Sansa, that was much more brutal in the book, and they bottled it, they also added a number of scenes with Joffrey and Cersei that I didn't think added much and were kind out of character for both.

Another thing that has been bugging me is the scene where Joffrey got the 2 prostitutes Tyrion bought him for his birthday and he got one to beat the other, was that in the book, it rings a bell, with Tyrion buying him whores, but I don't remember him hurting them, but then it might have been a bit I read while tired or on the train.

Another thing that has been bugging me is the scene where Joffrey got the 2 prostitutes Tyrion bought him for his birthday and he got one to beat the other, was that in the book, it rings a bell, with Tyrion buying him whores, but I don't remember him hurting them, but then it might have been a bit I read while tired or on the train.

That was in the episode I watched last night. Don't remember that scene either in the book. It is trying to make out that Joffrey has issues with sexuality, which is something never really explored in the book, he's more like a fantasy version of Kim Jong-un.

That was in the episode I watched last night. Don't remember that scene either in the book. It is trying to make out that Joffrey has issues with sexuality, which is something never really explored in the book, he's more like a fantasy version of Kim Jong-un.

It is commented on in the books, about how a good whore will sort him out and lighten him up, and he only refers to sex are in an aggressive way, mainly threatening Sansa, he is not your typical hormonal character, fvcking anything he gets the chance to.

Ros plays the role of quite a few characters in the books, that aren't in/won't be in the TV show, so it isn't really adding anything, more time saving.

As for Robb's wife, for the story who he marries isn't really that important only that he does, so I can forgive that,

Are we posting spoilers in this thread?

Anyway, this is interesting and although it isn't plot changing it's still important and relevant (Storm of Swords spoilers).

In the books it is hinted that the Robb-Jeyne relationship/making sure she wasn't preggers was influenced by Tywin.

From Feast: "Jeyne burst from her chair and would have fled the room if the guard at the door had not seized her by the arm. “She is not,†said Lady Sybell, as her daughter struggled to escape. “I made certain of that, as your lord father bid me.â€

Jaime nodded. Tywin Lannister was not a man to overlook such details. “Unhand the girl,†he said, “I’m done with her for now.†As Jeyne fled sobbing down the stairs, he considered her mother. “House Westerling has its pardon, and your brother Rolph has been made Lord of Castamere. What else would you have of us?â€

Another passage:

“The Crag is not so far from Tarbeck Hall and Castamere,†Tyrion pointed out. “You’d think the Westerlings might have ridden past and seen the lesson there.â€

“Mayhaps they have,†Lord Tywin said. “They are well aware of Castamere, I promise you.â€

“Could the Westerlings and Spicers be such great fools as to believe the wolf can defeat the lion?â€

Every once in a very long while, Lord Tywin Lannister would actually threaten to smile; he never did, but the threat alone was terrible to behold. “The greatest fools are ofttimes more clever than the men who laugh at them,†he said, and then, “You will marry Sansa Stark, Tyrion. And soon.â€

Some wars are won with swords, some with quills and ravens!

Edited by Haydos

Are we posting spoilers in this thread?

Anyway, this is interesting and although it isn't plot changing it's still important and relevant (Storm of Swords spoilers).

In the books it is hinted that the Robb-Jeyne relationship/making sure she wasn't preggers was influenced by Tywin.

From Feast: "Jeyne burst from her chair and would have fled the room if the guard at the door had not seized her by the arm. “She is not,†said Lady Sybell, as her daughter struggled to escape. “I made certain of that, as your lord father bid me.â€

Jaime nodded. Tywin Lannister was not a man to overlook such details. “Unhand the girl,†he said, “I’m done with her for now.†As Jeyne fled sobbing down the stairs, he considered her mother. “House Westerling has its pardon, and your brother Rolph has been made Lord of Castamere. What else would you have of us?â€

Another passage:

“The Crag is not so far from Tarbeck Hall and Castamere,†Tyrion pointed out. “You’d think the Westerlings might have ridden past and seen the lesson there.â€

“Mayhaps they have,†Lord Tywin said. “They are well aware of Castamere, I promise you.â€

“Could the Westerlings and Spicers be such great fools as to believe the wolf can defeat the lion?â€

Every once in a very long while, Lord Tywin Lannister would actually threaten to smile; he never did, but the threat alone was terrible to behold. “The greatest fools are ofttimes more clever than the men who laugh at them,†he said, and then, “You will marry Sansa Stark, Tyrion. And soon.â€

Some wars are won with swords, some with quills and ravens!

I think it is ok to post anything that has been covered in the TV series, but anything after that I wouldn't.

Having watched further in season 2 and now Irri is dead... and the dragons stolen... in fact there's virtually nothing left of the khalasar! Starting to really deviate off plot.

Also in season 2 where Jaime kills his cousin to cause a disturbance to lure his guard in so he can escape - completely out of character. For all his faults, Jaime would not kill one of his own.

Also it's from this point on that, in the books, you begin to warm to him as he has a "road to Damascus (King's Landing) moment" on his journey with Brienne. Although that's in series 3, surely the killing of his cousin will make his turnaround just seem all the more unlikely.

Edited by Trav Le Bleu

Having watched further in season 2 and now Irri is dead... and the dragon's stolen... in fact there's virtually nothing left of the khalasar! Starting to really deviate off plot.

Also in season 2 where Jaime kills his cousin to cause a disturbance to lure his guard in so he can escape - completely out of character. For all his faults, Jaime would not kill one of his own.

Also it's from this point on that, in the books, you begin to warm to him as he has a "road to Damascus (King's Landing) moment" on his journey with Brienne. Although that's in series 3, surely the killing of his cousin will make his turnaround just seem all the more unlikely.

I really didn't understand this. Huge change to his character and one that could serve to manipulate the viewers. It's going to take a lot to sway opinion of him now as I can see how viewers only see him as the 'bad guy'.

I really didn't understand this. Huge change to his character and one that could serve to manipulate the viewers. It's going to take a lot to sway opinion of him now as I can see how viewers only see him as the 'bad guy'.

Aye, I've got a sneaky feeling come book 6 he could prove to be a saviour - if he hasn't already.

Loved this episode.

Robb was fantastic in his early scene bollocking Edmure and really felt like a King.

The Blackfish was a badass.

Some very funny bits.

I like what they're doing with Theon and I think I know where they're going with it.

The final scene with Jaime and Brienne was brilliantly executed.

Bit disappointed Stannis is a being a horny, whiney manchild at the moment, completely out of character.

Loved this episode.

Robb was fantastic in his early scene bollocking Edmure and really felt like a King.

The Blackfish was a badass.

Some very funny bits.

I like what they're doing with Theon and I think I know where they're going with it.

The final scene with Jaime and Brienne was brilliantly executed.

Bit disappointed Stannis is a being a horny, whiney manchild at the moment, completely out of character.

Is Blackfish Daenerys' new advisor?