Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
purpleronnie

We Are Family!

http://www.lcfc.com/...765596,00.html

Leicester City Football Club has been awarded 'The Football League Family Excellence Award' for the 2011/12 season.

Created in 2007, the Award is based on an independent assessment, commissioned by The Football League, of the family experience at all 72 League clubs during the 2011/12 season using 'mystery shopper' families and recognises the outstanding experience clubs provide for young fans and families at their grounds.

A record 50 clubs from across all three divisions of The Football League were given the Award for 2012 - topping the previous highest total of 47 - with nine clubs securing it for the fifth year running. A total of eight clubs also won the award for the first time this year.

In announcing the successful clubs, Football League Chairman, Greg Clarke, said: <I>"The Football League Family Excellence Award provides clubs with a benchmark in their efforts to attract families through their gates.

"It is hugely encouraging to see that the number of clubs receiving the accolade is at its highest ever level, demonstrating The Football League's commitment to securing the next generation of fans."

With greater use of family areas and family pricing initiatives combining to attract more people to their first game, the 2011/12 season has seen an increasing focus on making the experience itself more compelling.

Initiatives such as dedicated family stadium entrances, specially trained family area receptionists, technology-supported entertainment and a comprehensive effort to rid family areas of abusive language and anti-social behaviour, have all combined to increase the benchmark.

The judges were particularly impressed with the efforts clubs are making to engage with families through matchday entertainment, refreshment facilities and mascot activities, all ensuring they can enjoy the match in a dedicated, safe, welcoming and entertaining environment.

The Football League also aims to give encouragement to those clubs that have not been successful this time around. Best practice guidance, feedback and training will be available to the remaining clubs to encourage their efforts towards achieving the mark next season.

The Football League has also recognised the clubs delivering the very best family experience in each division through the 'Family Club of the Year' award at this season's Football League Awards. Portsmouth, Huddersfield, Swindon Town, Dagenham & Redbridge and Cardiff City were shortlisted for the award with Portsmouth being announced as eventual overall winners. Huddersfield picked up the League 1 award with Swindon were crowned League 2 winners.

Guest MattP

Seriously Homo this. More important to promotion to some people inside this club this sort of shit.

Lisa's blog

With great pride, my football club has today announced that it has been awarded the prestigious "Football League Family Excellence Award for the season that has just finished. No doubt, various staff members are happily slapping each other on the back, and congratulating themselves on another fantastic achievement from a season that saw inconsistent mediocrity on the pitch itself. Given the time, effort, and, no doubt, money involved in finding out what the modern footballing family wants, to be acknowledged for it must, well, be just reward. Or something like that.

Football has come a long way from the days where fans turned up and expected nothing more than a decent performance from their side, if the clubs are to be believed. Football is now big business. We are no longer fans, but customers. There are huge markets to be tapped into, fans who have never been to games, with pockets full of cash to spend on the match day experience They happily watch Premier League football on the TV, yet they sit within the catchment areas of those clubs that may not be "lucky" enough to play in England's top division. The trick is, how to get them in through the turnstiles.

As a footy fan, logic dictates that the way to get bums on seats is to produce a successful team. Give the fans exciting football, and the fans who no longer go will return. Job's a good un!

The clubs themselves, and certainly my club, see families as the future. Get them in when they're young, they'll never want to leave. The problem is, the fans of the future are only appreciated to a point. Then they're left to burden the cost of holding ticket prices in the family areas, to encourage the fans of the future, and then stop going.

So the cycle will continue...

Clubs are turning family areas into multi-entertainment complexes. Does your child get bored watching the game? No worries, take them out the back to get their faces painted, or a balloon sculpture. I've heard talk of games areas, and kiosks serving food aimed at young children. At the King Power stadium, you can even access the Fanstore during the game. Yes, that's right. You've paid to watch a football match, but you can take advantage of the lack of queues by purchasing your club merchandise in the 58th minute of the game. These measures aren't aimed at fans who want to watch their teams. It's aimed at getting in people who seem to want more for their money; an "experience". Surely for a football supporter, it's results on the pitch that matter, not the availability of Fruit Shoots. If it's cold, and my team is performing badly, I stay in the stands hoping for a miraculous turnaround. I may harbour thoughts of going back to the pub, but I don't go anywhere. The thought, "I know, I'll go and see if they have any new scarf designs in the club shop" has never, ever entered my head. Not once.

What the clubs are failing to address, or refusing maybe, is that families change. Parents split up, or they lose their jobs. They may relocate somewhere too far away to justify travel. Most importantly, children grow up, and no longer want a Wacky Warehouse experience at the football.

Rather than asking families what would entice them into a football stadium, clubs need to be asking why fans are not returning.

From reading various social networking sites and forums, and by talking with fellow fans, the most disaffected group are the 16 to 25 year olds. This is the young blood the clubs have been looking for. They are also the potential parents of the fans of the future, yet clubs are happy to alienate them by turning football into an experience, whilst at the same time taking away everything that they enjoy about the game.

At the same time, this group are expected to accept some of the biggest price increases between categories. Bearing in mind many will still be students, and those who work will not be on huge salaries, it's easy to see why price alone is keeping these fans away. Take, for example, someone moving from the Under 18 category to Under 22. Last season, a season ticket would have cost £130 throughout the stadium, if renewed early, and £140 thereafter. Next season, they (or their parents) will need to find £265 to £430, if renewed early, almost doubling in price for the cheapest seats, which are limited in number. If they renew after the deadline, prices range from £305 to £495. How is this encouraging supporters to remain part of the fan base? That's without the arguments over atmosphere (or lack of) that young adults prefer.

As a cynic, it would seem that the authorities and the clubs themselves are promoting family friendly initiatives with the aim of alienating those supporters who are seen as potential troublemakers. For two adults taking two under 8s to see Leicester City, the cheapest cost is £820 for the season. This is a huge financial commitment, considering the current economic climate.

Is football guilty of socially cleansing the game?

Clearly pricing levels like this are aimed at the more affluent supporter, not those on lower incomes. Football, and the hooliganism associated with it, are seen as a working class problem. The middle classes wouldn't indulge in such behaviour, of course.

There are also the cost implications. Groups of young adults need to be policed. Apparently. They cannot be controlled as easily, and are guilty of heinous crimes such as persistent standing, consuming alcohol, and shouting naughty words. Young, middle class families do not do this. They are happy to sit in identikit stadia, and to dance along to goal music. If grounds can be filled with nice people, police costs can be reduced, and maybe fewer stewards, sorry, customer relation officers would be needed. As the traditional atmosphere is being eroded, lifelong fans feel excluded. Clubs are implicitly saying "we don't want your sort here anymore".

All fans want to feel that their club wants them, not just the football virgins, and their young offspring. Football clubs should remember this, just in case the football bubble bursts.

Lisa's blog

With great pride, my football club has today announced that it has been awarded the prestigious "Football League Family Excellence Award for the season that has just finished. No doubt, various staff members are happily slapping each other on the back, and congratulating themselves on another fantastic achievement from a season that saw inconsistent mediocrity on the pitch itself. Given the time, effort, and, no doubt, money involved in finding out what the modern footballing family wants, to be acknowledged for it must, well, be just reward. Or something like that.

Football has come a long way from the days where fans turned up and expected nothing more than a decent performance from their side, if the clubs are to be believed. Football is now big business. We are no longer fans, but customers. There are huge markets to be tapped into, fans who have never been to games, with pockets full of cash to spend on the match day experience They happily watch Premier League football on the TV, yet they sit within the catchment areas of those clubs that may not be "lucky" enough to play in England's top division. The trick is, how to get them in through the turnstiles.

As a footy fan, logic dictates that the way to get bums on seats is to produce a successful team. Give the fans exciting football, and the fans who no longer go will return. Job's a good un!

The clubs themselves, and certainly my club, see families as the future. Get them in when they're young, they'll never want to leave. The problem is, the fans of the future are only appreciated to a point. Then they're left to burden the cost of holding ticket prices in the family areas, to encourage the fans of the future, and then stop going.

So the cycle will continue...

Clubs are turning family areas into multi-entertainment complexes. Does your child get bored watching the game? No worries, take them out the back to get their faces painted, or a balloon sculpture. I've heard talk of games areas, and kiosks serving food aimed at young children. At the King Power stadium, you can even access the Fanstore during the game. Yes, that's right. You've paid to watch a football match, but you can take advantage of the lack of queues by purchasing your club merchandise in the 58th minute of the game. These measures aren't aimed at fans who want to watch their teams. It's aimed at getting in people who seem to want more for their money; an "experience". Surely for a football supporter, it's results on the pitch that matter, not the availability of Fruit Shoots. If it's cold, and my team is performing badly, I stay in the stands hoping for a miraculous turnaround. I may harbour thoughts of going back to the pub, but I don't go anywhere. The thought, "I know, I'll go and see if they have any new scarf designs in the club shop" has never, ever entered my head. Not once.

What the clubs are failing to address, or refusing maybe, is that families change. Parents split up, or they lose their jobs. They may relocate somewhere too far away to justify travel. Most importantly, children grow up, and no longer want a Wacky Warehouse experience at the football.

Rather than asking families what would entice them into a football stadium, clubs need to be asking why fans are not returning.

From reading various social networking sites and forums, and by talking with fellow fans, the most disaffected group are the 16 to 25 year olds. This is the young blood the clubs have been looking for. They are also the potential parents of the fans of the future, yet clubs are happy to alienate them by turning football into an experience, whilst at the same time taking away everything that they enjoy about the game.

At the same time, this group are expected to accept some of the biggest price increases between categories. Bearing in mind many will still be students, and those who work will not be on huge salaries, it's easy to see why price alone is keeping these fans away. Take, for example, someone moving from the Under 18 category to Under 22. Last season, a season ticket would have cost £130 throughout the stadium, if renewed early, and £140 thereafter. Next season, they (or their parents) will need to find £265 to £430, if renewed early, almost doubling in price for the cheapest seats, which are limited in number. If they renew after the deadline, prices range from £305 to £495. How is this encouraging supporters to remain part of the fan base? That's without the arguments over atmosphere (or lack of) that young adults prefer.

As a cynic, it would seem that the authorities and the clubs themselves are promoting family friendly initiatives with the aim of alienating those supporters who are seen as potential troublemakers. For two adults taking two under 8s to see Leicester City, the cheapest cost is £820 for the season. This is a huge financial commitment, considering the current economic climate.

Is football guilty of socially cleansing the game?

Clearly pricing levels like this are aimed at the more affluent supporter, not those on lower incomes. Football, and the hooliganism associated with it, are seen as a working class problem. The middle classes wouldn't indulge in such behaviour, of course.

There are also the cost implications. Groups of young adults need to be policed. Apparently. They cannot be controlled as easily, and are guilty of heinous crimes such as persistent standing, consuming alcohol, and shouting naughty words. Young, middle class families do not do this. They are happy to sit in identikit stadia, and to dance along to goal music. If grounds can be filled with nice people, police costs can be reduced, and maybe fewer stewards, sorry, customer relation officers would be needed. As the traditional atmosphere is being eroded, lifelong fans feel excluded. Clubs are implicitly saying "we don't want your sort here anymore".

All fans want to feel that their club wants them, not just the football virgins, and their young offspring. Football clubs should remember this, just in case the football bubble bursts.

There's none so blind as those who will not see

If that was the case there would be empty stadiums all over the country, only so many teams can be successful!

It’s about catering for different types of fans to enjoy the game in their own way so all groups can enjoy going to a match! I can’t see any harm in the club promoting a family experience and it can only be good for the club from a business point of view and recruiting the fans of the future.

But I also believe they should invest in making it a better experience for fans who want to stand, sing etc. I would love to see safe standing in football, but I don’t want a home ground that has the atmosphere like some of the eastern European clubs!

It about the club having a balanced approach and giving all fan groups what they want!

If that was the case there would be empty stadiums all over the country, only so many teams can be successful!

It’s about catering for different types of fans to enjoy the game in their own way so all groups can enjoy going to a match! I can’t see any harm in the club promoting a family experience and it can only be good for the club from a business point of view and recruiting the fans of the future.

But I also believe they should invest in making it a better experience for fans who want to stand, sing etc. I would love to see safe standing in football, but I don’t want a home ground that has the atmosphere like some of the eastern European clubs!

It about the club having a balanced approach and giving all fan groups what they want!

There's really no point in going to the trouble and expense of recruiting them when they're under 8 and then when they get to their early 20s totally alienating and pricing them out of the club, as Lisa says they'll be the parents of the next generation of under 8s and will have lost the desire to come back, a short sighted strategy.

There's really no point in going to the trouble and expense of recruiting them when they're under 8 and then when they get to their early 20s totally alienating and pricing them out of the club, as Lisa says they'll be the parents of the next generation of under 8s and will have lost the desire to come back, a short sighted strategy.

True, I don’t think they have their pricing strategy right, but that’s not due to putting more effort in to attracting family fans.

It’s about balance which I believe they have not got right this year, but I can’t see attendance dropping dramatically next year!

Unfortunately once you’re hooked, you’re hooked, loads of the people who are saying they will not going, will be there come August like the rest of us and the club knows that!

My Season ticket is still less then I paid at Filbo, I had a good seat in those days!

Thanks for sharing, Daggers. :)

I think the pricing strategy is partly due to attracting more families. Holding prices in the family stand? Discount for family groups elsewhere in the stadium? Yet everyone else has to pay more for their season ticket?

I really wish the FCC meeting minutes were published. That should shed light on matters.

Again there is this word alienate, how have people in their 20s been alienated, I am not disagreeing with you, I just don't see it myself. What could the club do for this age bracket? What do they want other than to watch a good game?

Again there is this word alienate, how have people in their 20s been alienated, I am not disagreeing with you, I just don't see it myself. What could the club do for this age bracket? What do they want other than to watch a good game?

The Price hike is a massive alienation

Intimidating Stewards

N Block fiasco / back stabbing

Fosse Boys

I would argue that no pay on the gate and no unreserved seating impacts on this group more than any other.

It's blatantly obvious to any one who's prepared to take their blinkers off that they are not prepared to invest in or at least have no interest in this age group.

When my son reached this age group he was regularly going with a group that varied from 10 to 15 in numbers by the time he reached his late 20s he was the only one still going, the others having being put off by things I've listed above, he himself now no longer goes.

It's extremely difficult and expensive to be a spontaneous supporter where you cannot guarantee you are going to attend every game and have to decide on the day that you wish to attend, even paying to get in is a chore.

The Price hike is a massive alienation

Intimidating Stewards

N Block fiasco / back stabbing

Fosse Boys

I would argue that no pay on the gate and no unreserved seating impacts on this group more than any other.

It's blatantly obvious to any one who's prepared to take their blinkers off that they are not prepared to invest in or at least have no interest in this age group.

When my son reached this age group he was regularly going with a group that varied from 10 to 15 in numbers by the time he reached his late 20s he was the only one still going, the others having being put off by things I've listed above, he himself now no longer goes.

It's extremely difficult and expensive to be a spontaneous supporter where you cannot guarantee you are going to attend every game and have to decide on the day that you wish to attend, even paying to get in is a chore.

The price hike is mainly affecting students, I thought, but I could be wrong I don't look at those age price brackets any more :(

The Stewards, the Fosse boys, again is not really about age, and is probably a bit of a hangover from football violence in the past and is catering more to make a safer atmosphere, rightly or wrongly, and they do want to attract more people and make it a more inclusive atmosphere, that includes children, women and ethnic minorities. We've all heard unsavoury abuse from opposition fans, and I guess the concern is that by allowing a group like the Fosse Boys and create a singing section and would encourage that kind of thing from ours and opposition fans.

There is more they could do, but things like unreserved seating and standing areas are viewed as a health and safety risk, as would loosening the alcohol restrictions. Recently we have managed to get a good inclusive friendly atmosphere going with the new chants and scarves. We are not going to get the same atmosphere as we had 20 years ago, for better or for worse, so what we need is to move with the times and an inclusive friendly atmosphere is arguably better than a smaller louder singing section.

As for the N block fiasco/back stabbing, I don't know about that, so I can't comment.

Archived