Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Matt

Official - Jamie Vardy signs.

Leicester City have today (Friday) completed the signing of striker Jamie Vardy from Fleetwood Town on a contract until June 2015.

The Sheffield-born frontman, 25, joins the Foxes following a meteoric rise through non-league football, culminating in him firing Fleetwood to the Blue Square Bet Premier title with 34 goals this past season.

In joining City, Vardy makes his first steps in the Football League and becomes Nigel Pearson's third new signing this week, following the arrivals of Ritchie De Laet and Matty James from Manchester United.

City manager Nigel Pearson said: "There were a number of clubs vying to secure Jamie's signature, so it's very pleasing that we have been able to bring him to Leicester City. He will definitely help to take us forward.

"He has built an excellent reputation for himself through the goals he has scored at non-league level and, having studied his progress closely for some time, I have no doubt he will successfully make the step up to the Championship."

Vardy began his path to the professional game with South Yorkshire club Stocksbridge Park Steels, making his senior debut in 2007 and enjoying a successful three years with the club.

He joined Halifax Town in June 2010 and strengthened his growing reputation with 27 goals as the Shaymen won promotion to the Blue Square Bet North, but Vardy would go one step further when he joined ambitious Fleetwood in the Blue Square Bet Premier for a substantial fee that summer.

He proved an inspired signing for the Cod Army, hitting 34 goals in 40 appearances, as Micky Mellon's team stormed to promotion to the Football League as Conference champions with over a century of points.

http://www.lcfc.com/page/LatestNews/0,,10274~2775831,00.html

Guest BlueBrett

Just watched his interview and he seems like a genuine guy who will give us everything he's got. Really looking forward to seeing him play now.

Very pleased with this move, looks like he's got bags of talent and knows where the net is

Will be interesting to see how adapts from playing for a team whcih created millions of chances to the big step up where chances are harder to come by, but seeing as we've been after him since January, we've had many moneths to seriously check him out & he's still come up the goods

Happy we've got him & he's not going to be banging in 30 goals for Blackpool or Leeds with us wondering what we've missed out on.

Finally we sign a non league player!!!! Catching up with the times LCFC!!

On a side not I wonder if Mr Vardy is sporting some PUMA merchandise in that video....

Micky Mellon managing the Cod Army, they couldn't lose could they?

Do you think that now we've taken Vardy off their hands the manager is left feeling MellonCodLy ????? (so, so, soooooo sorry to all who just groaned at that).

Yep.

It's never going to be a full £1M that Fleetwood are trousering; a full fee will be based on extras such as us getting promoted, him scoring X number of goals etc. (as James said somewhere).

If he ends up costing that amount then he, and us, will have done well and everyone will be happy.

Plus, having watched non-league all of last season, I can honestly say that I watched a number of players putting in a greater shift and displaying better awareness than we did on TV/streams on a whole host of occasions.

Good luck to the lad and welcome :scarf:

Wow. Bit of a risk as non-league, but could be a good signing and he seems to have confidence in his own ability, which I like. Good luck to the lad.

Every signing is a risk... look at our biggest signings last year.

Ian Wright.

for every ian wright i bet theres 2 that didnt make it so i dont see why people use these as examples.

it is a risk but its not going to kill us if it dont work and even if its half decent it could help up so should be worth taking and so welcome,,

but its still a risk. .

Solid signing.

Cheap fee, low pressure, his goal scoring record is quite prolific, so he'll either continue it (win) or he'll only be "ok" and score 10 goals (win), he'll no doubt increase in value over the next 3 years (win). Has genuine positive attitude and want's to go up (win).

A gamble most certainly worth taking.

What's not to like?

for every ian wright i bet theres 2 that didnt make it so i dont see why people use these as examples.

Because it's better than being a miserable old sausage and predicting failure before the man has kicked a ball in anger.

As I pointed out, the salary is made up of constituent parts and therefore financial risk isn't that high. Secondly, any signing (as Babs pointed out) is a risk.

Looked good in a side that was the best by a country mile in the bsbp,ive seen him twice live this season and twice on telly, he will be hungry enough to try to impress but i think he will fall short imo. The two games i saw him live at mansfield, he was given pretty much a free role up front he makes good timed runs and is quick but not rapid,the biggest thing i saw he's easily wound up and can see him seeing a few red cards through is lack of experiance 1 mil and rising way too much div1 level for me,hope i'm proved wrong.....

Because it's better than being a miserable old sausage and predicting failure before the man has kicked a ball in anger.

As I pointed out, the salary is made up of constituent parts and therefore financial risk isn't that high. Secondly, any signing (as Babs pointed out) is a risk.

but no one predicted failure.. someone said it was a bit of a risk, which it is.. but then they welcomed him..

Wow. Bit of a risk as non-league, but could be a good signing and he seems to have confidence in his own ability, which I like. Good luck to the lad.

Archived