Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Hollism

FL vote to return to 7 subs

If you are not good enough to be 1 of 5 then I can't see how you'll get a chance from the bench.

I can remember when you could pick 1 sub from 1 and we always seemed to manage.

If you are not good enough to be 1 of 5 then I can't see how you'll get a chance from the bench.

I think most people's objections to the 5 sub rule is the fact that youngsters won't get a chance at first team football when it is convenient to use them. You should always pick the strongest team possible, which means that younger players who have little experience won't be the first names on the team sheet. However, it's nice to have a couple on the bench so that if you're leading 4-0 against Barnsley then you can bring them on for a bit of first team experience.

Also gives you more of a choice about the type of player to bring on for each situation

• 1 month later...

Leicester City manager Nigel Pearson has welcomed the Football League's decision to return to seven substitutes this season.

The number of subs who could be named on the bench was controversially cut to five last summer, after a vote by the Football League's 72 members, while the Premier League retained seven, and the decision was criticised by many managers in the Championship.

• ​3962117.png
    Nigel Pearson

However, after just one season, the number allowed has returned to seven following a proposal lodged by Birmingham City and Derby County, and Pearson said the decision will help the development of home-grown talent.

Pearson said he would have more scope to give emerging players like strikers Tom Hopper and Harry Panayiotou experience next season, as well as keep more of his established first-team players involved on match days.

At times towards the end of last season, as City were chasing victories to close the gap on the play-off places, Pearson felt he had to run the risk of having no substitute goalkeeper available. But now he will have cover for Kasper Schmeichel on the bench.

"I didn't use a goalkeeper on the bench for the last two months of last season because I just felt we needed more options to try and win games," he said.

"That is not a disrespect to goalkeepers because they are clearly a very important member of the defence. The seven subs allows us to get a better balance on the bench.

"Some people think it is too many. I just felt the decision the previous season to go to five subs without talking it through was not a very good one, in mind of the fact that we are trying to get more home-grown players into the system.

"It allows us to include players that, as a manager, you want to give some experience to.

"I am pleased it has changed back. Yes, it helps in terms of managing the squad as well.

When you have a squad of 30 who are perceived to be first-team players clearly there will be an awful lot you have to manage in a completely different way.

"I think it is a sensible decision, and you don't have to name seven, but you have that option."

Good for the kids, don't see why it's necessary though, remember when it was 3 subs and that was fine.

In my opinion it is because of the transfer windows, back in those days you didn't need a big squad because if you had an injury to a first team player, you throw in a youth teamer and then got in transfer market, now you need at least 2 players for every position, because the transfer window limits you to when you can buy new players.

With a bigger squad you need more players involved to keep them happy, even if it is as an unused substitute, they at least know they will get a chance at some point.

I welcome back the 7 man subs bench

Good decision, some clubs have opted not to put a GK on the bench (including us I think) under the 5 subs rule which could lead to a ridiculous situation if the first choice keeper was sent off/injured

EDIT: In fact this did actually happen to West Ham away to Blackpool, they won 4-1 anyway :giggle:

1 Keeper on the bench hmmmmmm not enough for Shrewsbury in the FA cup lol

Archived