Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
acooling08

Scottish Independence Poll

Do you want Scotland to leave the UK?  

313 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want Scotland to leave the UK?

• Yes - I want Scotland to leave the UK.
    • No - I want Scotland to stay in the UK.
    • I don't know.
    • I don't care.

Should definitely leave the flag alone, one of the most iconic symbols ever and should be left as it is.

But we'd be left with a United Kingdom of Wales, England and Northern Island that has a flag that, in part, represents Scotland. As much as I like the Union Flag that just strikes me as wrong, why not have France's tricolore in there too?

But we'd be left with a United Kingdom of Wales, England and Northern Island that has a flag that, in part, represents Scotland. As much as I like the Union Flag that just strikes me as wrong, why not have France's tricolore in there too?

Because they have never been a part of the UK? :unsure:

Of course the Union Flag should stay the same, not only for the reason because Scotland has a proud history of being in it and even if it went the Yes way on the vote millions of Scots would still be waving the flag considering themselves proud Brits in defiance but it saves us changing it back when in 30/100/300 years yet again they come begging to be back in the Union.

Some Welsh lads who follow the England cricket team take exactly this flag but with the Welsh flag in the top left corner and Glamorgan CCC written through the middle.

_71502909_viewer-(2).jpg

Because they have never been a part of the UK? :unsure:

Of course the Union Flag should stay the same, not only for the reason because Scotland has a proud history of being in it and even if it went the Yes way on the vote millions of Scots would still be waving the flag considering themselves proud Brits in defiance but it saves us changing it back when in 30/100/300 years yet again they come begging to be back in the Union.

I'm only using the same argument against France being represented in the flag as Scotland. If they aren't in then they aren't in, we can't pretend that they are, it's just factually incorrect.

The original could be used as a protest of course but officially it just wouldn't be proper IMO. It'd be like Russia keeping the Soviet Union's national anthem that celebrates the 'uniting of peoples' when clearly that's not longer the case (if it ever was :P).

Even we don't give much of a shit about the flag. There's a fringe minority that complain we aren't on it but largely we don't care. We have our own flag(s.)

I think it's just a bit of a slow news day, I doubt we'd ever change the flag.

I'm actually up for a little Red Dragon on the flag, not for mass use worldwide but to used by the Welsh if they wanted too, things like the Last Night at the Proms event in Cardiff it would be perfect.

I'm only using the same argument against France being represented in the flag as Scotland. If they aren't in then they aren't in, we can't pretend that they are, it's just factually incorrect.

The original could be used as a protest of course but officially it just wouldn't be proper IMO. It'd be like Russia keeping the Soviet Union's national anthem that celebrates the 'uniting of peoples' when clearly that's not longer the case (if it ever was :P).

Why would France be on our flag? We have some Norman heritage but the Normans were a distinctly different group who, correct me if I'm wrong, were at war with what became modern France?

It'd be more accurate to have a Sicilian symbol on there than French.

Either way it's a dumb argument.

I am not seriously suggesting that France should be on the flag.

I raised the point precisely because it would be obvious to everyone how silly it would be to have a nation outside of the union incorporated into the flag. This was done to try to challenge the idea of having an independent Scotland (i.e. outside of the union) remaining on the flag.

Loads of countries have symbols in their flags of a past history of an allignment with a country, no one has them of countries they have never be alligned with.

You can't compare things like us having a Scottish flag on a Union symbol/New Zealand having a Union Flag to French and german symbols on ours, it's completely different.

We're talking about a country planning to keep the pound and Queen here with 'independence' let alone think about removing themselves from a flag.

Loads of countries have symbols in their flags of a past history of an allignment with a country, no one has them of countries they have never be alligned with.

You can't compare things like us having a Scottish flag on a Union symbol/New Zealand having a Union Flag to French and german symbols on ours, it's completely different.

We're talking about a country planning to keep the pound and Queen here with 'independence' let alone think about removing themselves from a flag.

New Zealand are part of the Commonwealth aren't they? That's why they have the Union Flag incorporated into their's, there's a genuine link between our governments if only a small one. If they were to leave then I'd think it quite right that they introduce a new one.

That said I do take the point on Scotland not really being that independent, I suppose if they are going to keep such strong links with our government then there is an argument for having them represented.

It's all irrelevant anyway, Scotland will vote No.

Yep, going to be good.

And any Jock who ever gives it the personal anti-English stuff on the Costa Del Sol after that has happened will be getting more than a mouthful from me.

Can see myself being consistently assaulted on my holidays from 2014 onwards.

Well they're wrong then. Just because some country* goes against my view that doesn't nullify my opinion.

If we do keep Scotland on the flag it doesn't mean I'm wrong, it means I disagree with a decision that has been made, same way as I disagree with the monarchy. The status quo does not provide sufficient reason to maintain the status quo.

*I say country, it's not actually a country of course

I seem to recall it was because the governer of Hawaii was fond of the British or something so he put it in his flag lol

Nice lol

The Yaohnanen tribe have been trying to get the Vanatu government to consider adding a picture of Prince Phillip to the national flag, he is a god to them and have a religious movement dedicated to him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Philip_Movement

The people of the Yaohnanen area believe that Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, the consort to Queen Elizabeth II, is a divine being; the pale-skinned son of a mountain spirit and brother of John Frum. According to ancient tales, the son travelled over the seas to a distant land, married a powerful lady and would in time return. The villagers had observed the respect accorded to Queen Elizabeth II by colonial officials and concluded that her husband, Prince Philip, must be the son from their legends.

news-graphics-2007-_444478a.jpg

Nice lol

The Yaohnanen tribe have been trying to get the Vanatu government to consider adding a picture of Prince Phillip to the national flag, he is a god to them and have a religious movement dedicated to him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Philip_Movement

news-graphics-2007-_444478a.jpg

I've seen them it was on idiot abroad.

• 1 month later...

Scrub everything I've said in this thread about the referendum being a foregone conclusion for the "No" vote. 

With this dude pitching for "No", it could be bye bye to the UK sooner than we think...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sArFksxhV-0

How weird that his accent has gone all Scots.  I thought he was a septic tank...

Awful.  Just awful.

This is a Yes and NO from me,

Girlfriend is scottish and lives up there, so for the sake of her and family, NO. I do not want scotland to go independant, as they will certainly crumble.

From a personal point of veiw, I would love a little country house in scotland, and they day scotland go independant housing prices will start to fall, so would be lovely :D

From a scottish point of veiw, The majority do not want it from my experiences of talking to people up there.

Scrub everything I've said in this thread about the referendum being a foregone conclusion for the "No" vote. 

With this dude pitching for "No", it could be bye bye to the UK sooner than we think...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sArFksxhV-0

How weird that his accent has gone all Scots.  I thought he was a septic tank...

Awful.  Just awful.

They obviously couldn`t afford Mel Gibson...

Oh, the delicious irony... maybe UKIP will pay for your repatriation.

You complain about his comments then come back with something equally ridiculous.

If you want to attack UKIP do it on policy and fact instead of silly comments lying about what they stand for.

Archived