Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
acooling08

Scottish Independence Poll

Do you want Scotland to leave the UK?  

313 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want Scotland to leave the UK?

• Yes - I want Scotland to leave the UK.
    • No - I want Scotland to stay in the UK.
    • I don't know.
    • I don't care.

In 2015: Vote UKIP, get Labour.

Simple as that.

That's the big fear, hopefully enough will realise that and return to the fold. Having said that if I lived in a Labour seat and I thought UKIP had a better chance of winning I'd vote tactically.

But UKIP don't want to be "what politicis is" How many times do people need to be told to understand that? Farage has gone on record numerous times stating he doesn't even want power on any large scale.

The Liberal media are going to portray them as that whatever happens, they have tried it with the Tories long enough so what chance do UKIP have?

Well that's going to be just dandy when they get voted in then. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

That's the big fear, hopefully enough will realise that and return to the fold. Having said that if I lived in a Labour seat and I thought UKIP had a better chance of winning I'd vote tactically.

I have never voted tactically, and never will. I vote for the party I believe to be to have the best policies.

Lib. Dems. have lost the plot, Labour is the same dreadful disaster it has always been. The Tories are unpopular because of the horrific financial mess inherited from Labour, and the hard policies they are having to put in place because of it.

My vote lies elsewhere. Sorry David, but you're doing your best.

If they stay in the UK will they start paying more for their services'?

"They" (including English "immigrants" like me who live up here) already pay more tax per person on average than the UK per person average. 

Why should we pay more?

(I'm a "No" voter, by the way)

How do you work that one out?

UKIP are nothing like BNP

The problem with a vote for UKIP is its effectively a vote for Labour. Disenchanted Tories may vote UKIP but lets face it they will never get in.

And who, the fook, wants at least four more years of a Labour Administration? The tories HAVE had to make some tough decisions but the Economy is showing signs of an upturn. I was brought up with the mentality of 'if you don't have it, you can't spend it', something that Labour have made a mockery of. I agree with Finnegan though. If the Scots dont gain economic independence (which they won't) I believe Labour will be re-elected next term.

The weather isn't helping.. Genuinely.. with the floods down South, the Conservatives have been seen as being completely incompetent and unsympathetic. That won't be forgotten.

I'd love to see Scotland fold if it gained independence (which it almost certainly would). Problem is, we'd be expected to bail them out and we probably would.

Pretty much happened last time they tried it, 300 years and came crawling back.

Could you explain how scots pay more tax.

They certainly receive more in the form of free university education,free elderly care, etc.

The "Free Stuff" (education, prescriptions, road tolls) is a consequence of how the devolved administration chooses to spend its allocation of funds.  The money spent on free stuff up here can't be spent on other stuff (cancer drugs etc). 

It's also a myth that all elderly care North of the border is all free.  To quote from the BBC just a few weeks ago:

Last year, BBC Scotland revealed that the number of people who were having their care bills funded by the NHS was falling in Scotland, whereas it was rising in England.

The number of people having care bills paid by the NHS has fallen by 37% in Scotland over the past four years.

While Scotland does provide personal care for free, people in care homes and nursing homes are still charged accommodation costs.

Under the current financial system, the Scottish government receives a block grant from the Treasury. The "Barnett Formula" is calculated in such a manner that public spending per head in Scotland is higher than in England.  This is the fact which causes accusations of those up here being "subsidy junkies".

However, Scotland also collects more tax per capita.  It's a tricky (and, to some extent, disputed) calculation because it relies on assumptions of where the "border" (which doesn't yet exist in international law) is for the purposes of North Sea Oil revenue calculations. There are similar disputed calculations for fishery revenues and revenues from "cross border" activity (such as the income, expenditure and tax take in Scotland of UK based firms).

I read a lot of internet guff from both sides arguing about the fluctuating value of oil, the "principle of equidistance", which international law prof or economics guru is right, etc. 

The bottom line is that it is all speculation because independence just aint gonna happen and the "Yes" vote remains a minority view up here.

"Yes"/The SNP have shot themselves in the bollocks with their reaction to George Osborne's speech.  The interview "wee Nicola" Sturgeon gave on the BBC was a massacre of Paxman proportions.  I really enjoyed watching this: 

:)  

• 5 months later...

Just over a month to go.

For a while there I was worried that "Yes" were catching up with "No"...

:sweating:

Looks like the debate last week polarised opinion and support for the Union appears to be in a very strong position, according to the latest poll:

Scotland - YouGov #indyref poll:

YES (to independence) 35%

NO 55%

Excluding don't knows:

YES 39%

NO 61%

Looks like the UK is going to be stuck with us (by us I mean "Scotland including blokes originally from the Saff" :blush: )  for a while longer.

Just over a month to go.

For a while there I was worried that "Yes" were catching up with "No"...

:sweating:

Looks like the debate last week polarised opinion and support for the Union appears to be in a very strong position, according to the latest poll:

Looks like the UK is going to be stuck with us (by us I mean "Scotland including blokes originally from the Saff" :blush: )  for a while longer.

Good, hopefully thoe polls are accurate.

Guest MattP

Blew what little chance he had on the currency question.

If they do vote no it's open season for us to give them a pounding (no pun intended) as they spread their arse cheeks for the Tories.

Blew what little chance he had on the currency question.

If they do vote no it's open season for us to give them a pounding (no pun intended) as they spread their arse cheeks for the Tories.

Not sure what you mean by this...

• 3 weeks later...

Latest poll suggests that the gap between "No" and "Yes" has narrowed to 6 points: http://news.sky.com/story/1328534/scottish-referendum-no-votes-lead-narrows

Might just be one poll out of line with the rest, but if there is a "Yes" vote, it'll be massive for the UK as a whole. If I was Scottish, I'd probably vote 'Yes', but as I'm not I hope that they vote 'No'.

Most people will have made up their minds, but what will the waverers do at the last minute? Will they think "play it safe" and vote 'No' or will they think "this is a once in a lifetime opportunity" and vote 'Yes'?

I wonder if some of the Tory right are actively hoping that there's a 'Yes' vote? Cameron probably isn't as it wouldn't look good on his CV - and Scottish Labour/SNP MPs would still be elected to Westminster in 2015 (but only until 2017, I think?). But I bet there's a few on the Tory right licking their lips at the thought of a 'Yes' vote, Cameron getting the bullet and then a right-wing Tory majority government of England, Wales & N. Ireland after 2017.... 

Would UKIP have to change its name? Would the UK change its name? After all, UK stands for "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland", and there'd no longer be a "Great Britain", unless you count just England & Wales. Could be the "United Kingdom of England, Wales and Northern Ireland", I suppose....

Will probably still be a 'No" vote, I imagine, but seems to be getting a bit close....with massive potential consequences for the UK. Where would the nukes go (the SNP want them out and there's currently no suitable harbour in England/Wales)? Would UK defence forces have to be downsized? Could we still justify a place on the UN Security Council? Would "rump UK" politics permanently shift to the right or would there be a realignment? Would we replace Scottish North Sea oil (up to 90% might be Scottish) or would we just buy it in as an import, further increasing the UK trade deficit? Would the union flag/jack have to be replaced?

I initially wanted a no vote but would love a yes now. If it works out for them then it could be the catalyst for a lot more decentralisation of power from Westminster. If it doesn't work out then it's Scotland that suffers. Seems like a win win situation.

I initially wanted a no vote but would love a yes now. If it works out for them then it could be the catalyst for a lot more decentralisation of power from Westminster. If it doesn't work out then it's Scotland that suffers. Seems like a win win situation.

All 3 main parties are already committed to more devolution to Scotland if there's a 'No' vote, which itself could be the catalyst for more decentralisation of power in the rest of the UK - which I'd like, too. I was hearing the other day that there's a lot of support now for devolution in the North East (as the region closest to Scotland), whereas it voted heavily against a Regional Assembly in 2004.

Until such time as there's a political realignment or electoral reform, it's also very likely that there'd be a right-wing Tory-led government in what remains of the UK. What motivation would it have to decentralise power, unless people in Tory-voting areas started demanding it? I've not heard of any such shift in SE England, the suburbs, small towns or rural areas, which are the Tory heartland....

It's silly to say that independence will lead to eternal left-wing Scotland and right wing rest of UK. If govt is seen to fail then they'll be voted out and replaced by the alternative.

Whatever happens in Scotland the Tories/England will be blamed for the bad things and get no credit for the good things. After independence they won't have that excuse,although they'll probably still try it on.

Archived