Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Away v Torquay - League Cup - 14/08/12 Pre-match trappings

OS

Pre-season displays give Nigel food for thought.

City manager Nigel Pearson admits the standard of his team’s pre-season performances has left places in his starting eleven up for grabs.

Just days before the new season gets underway, Pearson’s side produced perhaps their best display of the summer in Saturday’s 1-0 win over Premier League Sunderland.

Youngster Tom Parkes stepped off the bench to prod home a winner 18 minutes from the end against the Black Cats, but it was the overall quality of City’s pay that will have generated optimism among the Blue Army.

And as he prepares his side for a midweek trip to Torquay United in the Capital One Cup before next Saturday’s npower Championship opener at home to Peterborough, Pearson has selection decisions to ponder.

“The players have all worked exceptionally hard in pre-season and, for the most part, they’ve put themselves into a situation where it’s going to be a tough choice,” said the City boss.

“But because the squad’s not exceptionally big this year, all the players are going to be required and everyone will play a significant part this season.

“It’s up to them to deal with the disappointment if they’re not in the side for the first or second game, but we’ll need them all for sure this season.”

New boy Jamie Vardy gave fans a bit of a scare when he limped off just before half-time, after an energetic display in City’s attack.

But Pearson confirmed the withdrawal of his summer signing was merely precautionary ahead of an important week.

“His back was a little bit tight, but Jamie’s a player that plays a lot of games so I’m not too worried about that.

“Today we decided that if there were any players with any little question marks we’d take them off.

“There were some pleasing things today, but it’s good to get to the competitive season now.”

Wouldn't mind a relativley weakened side for this,

Kasper

Moore

Parkes

Morgan

Kennedy

Gallagher

King

Danns

Dyer

Waghorn

Beckford

Logan, De Laet, Konchesky, James, Marshall, Schlupp, Futacs

Feels a bit weird opening with a League Cup game. Never mind.

I'm going:

Schmeichel

De Laet - Moore - Morgan - Konchesky

Marshall - Danns - Drinkwater - Dyer

Futacs - Beckford

Subs: Nugent, Vardy, Taft, James, Gallagher, Wellens, Parkes

I obviously want us to win, but build that team spirit at the same time, hence why I've picked the midfield that I want to see against Posh.

Kasper

Moore

Parkes

Morgan

Kennedy

Marshall

Drinkwater

Danns

Knockaert

Vardy

Waghorn

Subs; De Laet, Konchesky, King, James, Schlupp, Futacs, Nugent

I want Vardy to start. Lower league opposition more to what he was used to with Fleetwood. Possibly bag himself a goal or two which would be a fantastic confidence booster heading into the league games. Torquay is an ideal opportunity for him to get off the mark.

I totally agree.

Good to hear that Jamie Vardy only went off as a precaution and I agree with the posts above - he should definitely start.

I'd go with a strong line up with the intention of getting off to a flyer and building momentum from the off. The team that bossed Sunderland will do nicely.

Kasper

De Laet

Morgan

Moore

Konch

Marshall

James

Drinky

Knocky

Vardy

Becks

Does anyone else agree that, though the squad has been slimmed down significantly and is now smaller, we seem to have a much stronger squad (in terms of quality anyway) than we did last season?

Good to hear that Jamie Vardy only went off as a precaution and I agree with the posts above - he should definitely start.

I'd go with a strong line up with the intention of getting off to a flyer and building momentum from the off. The team that bossed Sunderland will do nicely.

Kasper

De Laet

Morgan

Moore

Konch

Marshall

James

Drinky

Knocky

Vardy

Becks

Does anyone else agree that, though the squad has been slimmed down significantly and is now smaller, we seem to have a much stronger squad (in terms of quality anyway) than we did last season?

I think the most important aspect of this is that the squad will probably need to rotate more. Pearson said as much after yesterday's game. Everyone should play a part, should feel more involved and the squad should be more cohesive as a result.

IMO (and in Nige's too)

Vardy is a must for me too perfect game to build his confidence Torquay are still promotion candidates for the League above what he was playing last season so is a good opportunity to give him a competitive match that is not Championship level. Looking forward to it my first away match in the Leicester end!

As much as a cup run would be nice, I would rather some of our best players rested/avoid injury, its not like we can substitute the whole team at half time. A good start to the season is way more important.

Kasp

De Laet

Whit /parkes ?

Morgan

Konch

Dyer

James

Danns

Gally

Nuge

Futacs

Subs

Logan, Moore, king, knock, waggy

Resting. Moore, Marsh, Drinks, Vardy, Becks, knock (sub)

well hopefully see a few of you down there for the game as local for me before a trip up to leicester for peterborough at the kp anyone know where everyone meeting for a drink pre match

We are all heading for the harbour to meet some more who are staying overnight.

One of those weird ones where I almost want us to lose, loved the cups when I was very young and we were mid table Prem under O'Neil, hate them now. Just distractions from the league.

So I'd put out a weakened side, and play those short of match fitness.

Archived