Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
THEFATBASTARD

Ticket prices, we are in a double dipper..

Just bought a ticket online for a mate, 35 quid, plus 1 pound booking fee, then scanned the stadium, plenty of spare seats... note to the commercial staff, sometimes, less is more...

I thought the same , lots of seats to be sold , I even considered counting them. (SaD)

Not much on the marketing front from city such as memberships etc... they seem to be hoping good results will get the fans in !

I'm sure there will be a lot of spare seats this season. Times are hard and football is a luxury a lot of people just can't afford. It's not just our club, it's clubs up and down the country. God only knows what the prices will be like next season if we get promoted...

Having said that, there are generally a lot of promotions done throughout the season and getting a season ticket on DD does make it work out to be a hell of a lot cheaper per game, so there are more affordable options than just buying a ticket for the odd match every now and then.

Very expensive in my opinion, now I'm no longer a student full Adult prices are crippling and I'm going to be limited to very few games. I've always though it would be better to reduce costs to get more people in but perhaps make the same amount? obviously then there is the sale of food on merchandise to make the extra. Football is meant to be a working class sport yet someone such as myself in a minimum wage job can't afford to go, gutted i cant afford to watch them but until i get a better job there's nothing i can do.

Very expensive in my opinion, now I'm no longer a student full Adult prices are crippling and I'm going to be limited to very few games. I've always though it would be better to reduce costs to get more people in but perhaps make the same amount? obviously then there is the sale of food on merchandise to make the extra. Football is meant to be a working class sport yet someone such as myself in a minimum wage job can't afford to go, gutted i cant afford to watch them but until i get a better job there's nothing i can do.

Exactly what I think, what's the point of getting 22,000 thousand for example when you can lower the prices and sell at least 5,000 more tickets.

Totally agree. It is getting so expensive now, and do you feel you get value for money in return?

I've always thought if prices are reduced and we get 3,000/5,000 more fans in, for example, the club will be making the same amount. Remember, they will be selling more programmes, food, drink and merchandise within the extra fans as well.

Not one fan will be able to go to every game, home and away, anymore (unless they are rich).

Whatever the price was the average attendance wouldnt change. The casual fan is exactly that someone who doesn't go every game so the expectation of getting 5000 more fans on ticket price is wrong, are biggest attendance last year was about 27000 so assuming that fixture would have had most of the casual fans there it would involve them all coming every game so why wouldn't they just get a season ticket? The club also has to justify the price of a season ticket, why would someone buy one if it was cheaper to just buy a ticket for every game?

My views about the expense of tickets, the alienation of the core base of supporters and the absence of any entertainment in return for the price is pretty well documented on the forum, it's not changed one iota.

BBC

The start of the football season this weekend has arrived with a little less fanfare than usual as the euphoria of the Olympics dies down.

But while the return of the domestic leagues may have crept up on us, it feels safe to assume the ups and downs of England's national sport will soon be dominating the headlines again.

Football's popularity has not been tempered by the economic gloom, with attendances in the Football League increasing again last season.

Sports sociologist John Williams from Leicester University says the game has seemed "almost recession proof".

An increasing number of families are boosting numbers in stadiums with clubs working on new innovations to attract and retain new fans while competing among themselves for recognition in the Football League's Family Excellence Awards.

Changed mindset

The awards are run by the Fan Experience Company, a family business led by avid Sunderland supporter Mark Bradley, originally from Stanley, County Durham.

The firm has an army of families ready to visit football clubs for the first time and score them on every aspect of their experience.

Continue reading the main story

“Start Quote

Prior to the Hillsborough stadium disaster, football grounds were very difficult places and the game had a very negative national image”

John WilliamsLeicester University

Mr Bradley has witnessed clubs like Middlesbrough overhaul their concourse food offering to include local delicacies like the parmo burger, while staff at Cardiff City and Brighton have concentrated on making sure away fans come back year after year.

Away from individual gimmicks, Mr Bradley said feedback from new customers was helping to change the mindset of football clubs.

"If you confront organisations with the real experiences of customers that often works as the catalyst for change," he said.

"The principle is that each club receives two visits from families that are new to the live football experience. It's not about mystery shopping, this is done with real people.

"The clubs get unedited feedback from the families on everything from their website, the ticket office, the game itself and the car park. It's qualitative data."

Adopting a more traditional business-minded approach to its customers has been rewarding for the clubs.

'Pretty rudimentary'

The Football League said attendance by families had grown by 12% after three years of the awards, adding approximately £2m to the combined balance sheet. Mr Bradley says this is an "astonishing" figure.

Mr Williams, who researches the culture of football, said developments in stadiums and policing meant today's crowd was "very different" to that of the 1980s.

He said: "I think we often forget how difficult the experience had been in the 1980s. Prior to the Hillsborough stadium disaster, football grounds were very difficult places and the game had a very negative national image.

"Hooliganism had become part of the fabric of the game and facilities at many grounds were pretty rudimentary. The game was in a rut."

Mr Williams believes the presentation and packaging of football on television on Sky made it desirable to a wider and more family-orientated audience.

He said: "It was really satellite television that got the message across. It began to present Premier League football as something different, as something rather exclusive and as an attractive lifestyle accessory.

"It began to make the game appeal to what you might crudely say was a more middle class audience."

'Alienating'

Mr Williams accepts that a certain demographic has been largely excluded by the game's evolution and price increases.

He said: "If you're in low pay or particularly if you're unemployed, or if you're in that group of young teenage men from lower class backgrounds who don't particularly want to attend with parents and want freedom to see football as part of a youth culture, for those groups what has happened has been particularly alienating."

Between 50 and 70 families will assess their "matchday experience" this coming season and Mr Bradley insists that while price is a factor, once fans are hooked they tend to pay less attention to the costs of supporting a team.

"Price is important when it comes to getting fans to their first game but it's a less influential factor when it comes to getting them back," he said.

"I think it's fair to say that when you look at the core football fan what we've learned is that it's going to be one of the last things to go when money gets tight."

Many clubs, Mr Bradley says, believe "intrinsically" that only success on the pitch can help them grow.

This is not always the case though, he says, as he quotes an example from the winners of last season's Family Club of the Year Award.

"Portsmouth randomly chooses a family and sit them in the dugout 30 minutes before the game," he said.

"It doesn't upset the groundsman, the manager doesn't need the dugout, they get to see the players come and go right at the heart of the action - that has got them hooked, they're not going to support another club.

"Some clubs can take the magic in their hands for granted."

They're not bothered about young single people only families, they must be hoping that the current crop of kids wont be driven away by the sudden high costs they encounter when becoming an adult although it's not happening as this is the group that have suffered at the expense of getting families in.

One presumes this is on the basis that families spend more and don't need controlling it also explains why so many clubs are reluctant to welcome safe standing which to them means unruly youths and young men.

Dropping ticket prices to get bums on seats is counterproductive. If you work on the very basic assumption (I've ignored season tickets for simplicity) that we have 20,000 people paying £30 per match thats £600k per match. If you dropped prices by just £5 you'd need to attract 24,000 supporters just to make the £600k, drop prices to £20 and you are looking at a crowd of 30,000 just to make £600k.

The simpler answer is to improve the product and shudder 'match day experience' and get more people paying willing to pay premium prices.

What i've always thought but I can only assume they know what they're doing and that this is the most profitable way... shame. Ha;f empty stadiums are such a mood dampener.

BBC

They're not bothered about young single people only families, they must be hoping that the current crop of kids wont be driven away by the sudden high costs they encounter when becoming an adult although it's not happening as this is the group that have suffered at the expense of getting families in.

One presumes this is on the basis that families spend more and don't need controlling it also explains why so many clubs are reluctant to welcome safe standing which to them means unruly youths and young men.

It is annoying, but true.

Families =

multiple (probably 4) tickets / season tickets / memberships

new kit for the kids each season

probably one for the dad

LCFC birthday presents

LCFC christmas presents

drinks and sweets at the ground

Stadium tours

LCFC stuff for school (rulers pens etc)

Single person =

1 season ticket (maybe)

1 kit (maybe)

a pie and a couple of pints each week

It's a real shame, but the club knows they can make more money from a family than from you. On top of that, they'll hope that even if they lose you as a consumer, by the time you get to having a wife and kids, you'll want to get them involved in the club just like you were when you were a kid, and you'll buy back in again, except there will be 4 of you by then, buying rulers and tshirts...

Dropping ticket prices to get bums on seats is counterproductive. If you work on the very basic assumption (I've ignored season tickets for simplicity) that we have 20,000 people paying £30 per match thats £600k per match. If you dropped prices by just £5 you'd need to attract 24,000 supporters just to make the £600k, drop prices to £20 and you are looking at a crowd of 30,000 just to make £600k.

The simpler answer is to improve the product and shudder 'match day experience' and get more people paying willing to pay premium prices.

Or just don't be as greedy and get the stadium full.

Reduce player's wage packets by a few percent to offset the cost.

Football should be returned to the people.

Or just don't be as greedy and get the stadium full.

Reduce player's wage packets by a few percent to offset the cost.

Football should be returned to the people.

It never belonged to the 'people' (whoever they are). Clubs have always been subsidised by wealthy benefactors.

As I walk past the Ticket Booth on match days and see the ticket prices I often say to my mates ' If I had not got a season ticket there is no way I would pay that price to get in'

My mate asked me to get a ticket for him for the Peterborough match. Were in L1 so the closest seat I could get was K1, when I seen the price I nearly choked on my coffee £33 quid plus £1 to book !!! I had to phone up and say are you really sure you want to come ??

Its crazy were just getting out priced, familys are struggling enough and clubs are simply not helping with there silly pricing system

It never belonged to the 'people' (whoever they are). Clubs have always been subsidised by wealthy benefactors.

I'm not sure 'always subsidised' is correct back in the day of the maximum wage, 30k+ crowds and limited ground improvements I'd be amazed if some of the then local owners didn't make a bob or two out of it.

Yes but if 50% of those 30k spend a fiver on a hot dog, beer or whatever it maybe, thats another 75k in the coffers. less a bit of extra minimum wage for serving it.And that doesn't allow for dad who ends up buying his kid a scarf, shirt, whatever it maybe. filling the ground on £30 a ticket maybe great in the top flight because you can get away with it, but at this level in the current climate, get them in with offers and watch them spend the same money on cr@p essentially without even knowing they are doing it.

So how old are you?

When do you think Football was created? It used to be the game of the people. It's only recently become the game of corporations.

As I walk past the Ticket Booth on match days and see the ticket prices I often say to my mates ' If I had not got a season ticket there is no way I would pay that price to get in'

My mate asked me to get a ticket for him for the Peterborough match. Were in L1 so the closest seat I could get was K1, when I seen the price I nearly choked on my coffee £33 quid plus £1 to book !!! I had to phone up and say are you really sure you want to come ??

Its crazy were just getting out priced, familys are struggling enough and clubs are simply not helping with there silly pricing system

Bloody hell! That is so expensive, for Peterborough as well. I'm a season ticket holder (SK2), and being a senior it cost me £ 299.00 for the season, thats £13.00 per match. I'm more than happy to accept that, but the gulf between my ticket and £33.00 seems hard to justify. feeling a bit guilty now :(

For once I agree with fleckneymike. First time for everything ;)

The owners aren't fools. I'm sure they have 'war gamed' all sorts of ticket price scenarios prior to agreeing on this seasons prices. Each time they will have taken into account 'add on' sales from things like food, drinks, merchandise etc.

The realty is that lowering the prices by a few quid wouldn't add that many more to the average gate. To do that the prices would need cutting dramatically, and that simply isn't a viable business option.

Archived