Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bryn

Charlton Athletic (a) Pre Match + Starting XI

i dont think we need to change our shape for this game because they also play 442, maybe Danns for James if he is still ill and Nuge may give one of the strikers a brief rest if needed. id except a point but hoping for 0-2 win Beks/Vardy

Reasonable trip for me too, by train, just change at Waterloo....... :thumbup:

Think Charlton will be a real test tomorrow, be very interested to see how we approach things and of course, how we do.

Think we really need to up our game.

On a somewhat different note, King came on for most of the second half, played well and sealed our victory, when our forward players couldn't, yet hardly any one suggests he should start....... :dunno:

A midweek evening game down in London. Doesn't sound like it will particularly easy and knowing Leicester anything could happen.

These are the games where we really do need that bit of physicality in midfield. If James is fit then i'm happy for him to play but if not i would definitely play Danns, and that would be my only change. Think the others deserve to keep their places.

Hope you guys have a pleasant and safe journey to The Valley tomorrow night, but obviously leave with nothing.

With little addition to our sqaud over the summer, some of our supporters were really worried about the step-up in class and how our players were going to adapt. Well, i thought we completely outclassed Brum on saturday and were unlucky to not come away with all 3 points.

Our problem last season, and it was a fairly minor one after winning the league at a canter, was our inability to break teams down at home. Dont think thats something that will happen this season as most teams will come to Charlton looking for an away win, so expecting an open game of football.

You have a very good large squad, so i think the expectation from our fans is still on the cautious side. Defo see you as a top 6 side in the division.

I can see a 1-1 draw again and i would, along with most CAFC fans, take it.

Reasonable trip for me too, by train, just change at Waterloo....... :thumbup:

Think Charlton will be a real test tomorrow, be very interested to see how we approach things and of course, how we do.

Think we really need to up our game.

On a somewhat different note, King came on for most of the second half, played well and sealed our victory, when our forward players couldn't, yet hardly any one suggests he should start....... :dunno:

You're being rather controversial this year Dave..

lol

Would you start Kingy away in a game where we could be on the backfoot for lengthy periods?

I wouldn't. The Peterborough game was the ideal game to bring him on. I wouldn't start him at Charlton.

Everyone thinks he's too lightweight and they'd rather have Danns sprinting round like a lunatic and not doing a lot else. King, on form, is twice the player of Neil Danns for me and if Saturday is anything to go by, Pearson clearly thinks so too - and look how that paid off for us! Could you ever see Danns making an intelligent, well-timed late run onto the end of that ball and thundering it into the top corner? I highly doubt it.

With little addition to our sqaud over the summer, some of our supporters were really worried about the step-up in class and how our players were going to adapt. Well, i thought we completely outclassed Brum on saturday and were unlucky to not come away with all 3 points.

When you're coming into the Championship with momentum like yours, you don't need wholesale changes - when Leicester came back up from League One at the first time of asking, we didn't overhaul our entire team and a few smart additions were enough to see us into the playoffs. Chris Powell is very much a student of the NP school of management and he obviously learned a lot of Pearson while he was at Leicester, so I wouldn't be surprised to see Charlton have a good season. Perhaps not play-off material just yet, but I would be very surprised if you got pulled into a relegation scrap. Momentum alone should be enough to see you make mid-table.

I can see a 1-1 draw again and i would, along with most CAFC fans, take it.

I think it'll be close, but if you try and play an open and attacking game against us, we could really put you through the wringer. Once we scored against Peterborough and forced them to go for it a bit more, there was only one side in it. Your best bet would probably be to build up slow and try to frustrate us, then try and hit us on the break IMO. If you come out all guns blazing, it could get ugly.

lol

Would you start Kingy away in a game where we could be on the backfoot for lengthy periods?

I wouldn't. The Peterborough game was the ideal game to bring him on. I wouldn't start him at Charlton.

I certainly would, I don't think this will be a typical physical midfield battle, I think Charlton will sit back a bit and try to retain posession and frustrate us, before trying to hit us on the break. Johnnie Jackson and Matt Hollands will be the ones to watch in midfield for me - if we stifle them, we cut off the supply to their strikers. King is good in the tackle and quickly distributing the ball, Drinkwater has looked a class apart lately... I think if James doesn't start, King will be in the starting line-up.

Everyone thinks he's too lightweight and they'd rather have Danns sprinting round like a lunatic and not doing a lot else. King, on form, is twice the player of Neil Danns for me and if Saturday is anything to go by, Pearson clearly thinks so too - and look how that paid off for us! Could you ever see Danns making an intelligent, well-timed late run onto the end of that ball and thundering it into the top corner? I highly doubt it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Axg9A4ERKSU

Not the same kind of finish but he got forward and met a Dyer cross that found a Leicester player for once. Also hit the post shortly after.

Derby away last year!

Edit: Damn, Mark beat me to it.

I'd probably start with the same 11, ask James & Drinwater just to play a holding role and counter-attack with the pace of Dyer, Vardy & Beckford. Hopefully, plenty of opportunity for Marshall from free kicks when they're forced to foul us. That's just me though, we may just take the game to them and try to outclass them. Hard game to judge with them being League One last season. I've predicted a draw, i'd be happy with a point but I think we can win it

lol

I prefer the term realistic...... :thumbup:

I know we disagree on this but I feel it is absolutely crucial to get the best from our players and that, for me, requires us to be properly set up and with a solid (tactical) game plan.

Since NFP's return we have played a conservative, rather uninspiring style that I, personally, think will not be enough to get us up this season, though I do agree that our squad has been improved in all areas.

Whether City can develop NFP's 'trademark' 4-4-2 into something that is both fluid and effective remains to be seen but on his past record I am not confident that will be the case.

Schmeichel

De Laet Whitbread Morgan Moore Konchesky

Marshall King Dyer (Knockaert on in the 2nd half)

Beckford Nugent Vardy

Either 1-0 to us, or 1-1. I don't think their strike force can get many past our defence.

Archived