Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

England Under 21 Call Up's

Poor second half, lots of hoof....... :thumbdown:

Waghorn virtually playing in midfield, Pearce looks to have settled for a 1-0, which has naturally enough led Norway back into the game..... :dunno:

Norway on top now, hit the woodwork when the should have scored, so fooking predictable.

Pearson > Pearce.

That Jack Wilshire has been off form for a season too hope, he never plays for England again.

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Dick.

Waghorn was injured for several months of last season, but when was the last time he looked anything close to a decent English prospect? The summer of 2010. I appreciate what Waghorn has done for the club and understand that he was misused for most of the Sven reign but he has looked awful for us this season, and that's not exaggerating. I just find it incredible that he could be starting for the u21s when, regardless of the circumstances, he hasn't played well for over 2 years.

As for Wilshere, it's a completely pointless comparison.

I've watched for 32 minutes and could probably count the number of touches Marshall and Waghorn have had on 2 fingers. This is awful, awful football. Stuart Pearce is doing a horrendous job if it's always like this.

Because he's not played well for 2 seasons, and for him to be anywhere near the England u21s is, for me, bizarre. Do you think the German or Spanish u21s, or any of the big European countries, are starting a striker in a competitive game that has been off form for two seasons and isn't getting anywhere near the first team of a club in the second division?

Waghorn is going backwards at the moment and, despite his goals against the mighty forces that are Azerbaijan (ranked 107th) and Israel (ranked 75th), other and better English prospects should be starting ahead of him.

The u21 coaches will be fully aware of his lack of pitch time but credit to him he's obviously impressing in training and 2 goals in 3 cant be ignored regardless of the opposition. Give him a bit of credit hes done well tonight

Some really miserable gits on here. So what if you don't think Waggys good enough or if Marshall hasn't done much in the game. They're in there so good for them!

I am happy for them, especially Marshall as he deserves it. I was just questioning Waghorn's inclusion.

The u21 coaches will be fully aware of his lack of pitch time but credit to him he's obviously impressing in training and 2 goals in 3 cant be ignored regardless of the opposition. Give him a bit of credit hes done well tonight

He must have done bloody good in training :)

Waghorn was injured for several months of last season, but when was the last time he looked anything close to a decent English prospect? The summer of 2010. I appreciate what Waghorn has done for the club and understand that he was misused for most of the Sven reign but he has looked awful for us this season, and that's not exaggerating. I just find it incredible that he could be starting for the u21s when, regardless of the circumstances, he hasn't played well for over 2 years.

As for Wilshere, it's a completely pointless comparison.

Waghorn managed 2 games for us last season and scored and looked decent in his last one, got singled out for praise from np, he made 5 appearances at Hull scored once and was looking good for them before he got injured for the rest of the season, finally making his comeback in a goalscoring performance on the last game of the season at Leeds.

The Wilshire comparison was because he has had a lot of injuries, and it is stupid to say someone is off form when they have been injured. The Sousa season was a disaster to start with, then we chopped and changed so much that very few players came out of it with a lot of credit. I just don't get this slagging off of a young talented Leicester city footballer, it is just bizarre.

Waghorn managed 2 games for us last season and scored and looked decent in his last one, got singled out for praise from np, he made 5 appearances at Hull scored once and was looking good for them before he got injured for the rest of the season, finally making his comeback in a goalscoring performance on the last game of the season at Leeds.

The Wilshire comparison was because he has had a lot of injuries, and it is stupid to say someone is off form when they have been injured. The Sousa season was a disaster to start with, then we chopped and changed so much that very few players came out of it with a lot of credit. I just don't get this slagging off of a young talented Leicester city footballer, it is just bizarre.

'Wilshere' mate?

I agree with you completely.

I still can't see how folks can judge Waghorn on having seen him play so little football.

I thought that a striker gets his form and confidence by playing consistently, avoiding injury for some time etc. The only time City fans actually saw Waggy having both game time and being injury free (relatively) we all saw how good he could be.

So he's had 7 games in the last 12 months, why does that warrant a place in the England u21s team? We've had 6 games this season and Waghorn has featured in one of them. That was against League 2 Burton and he was shocking. This is coming off a pre-season where he performed poorly. I just find it difficult to believe that there aren't several players more worthy of that spot, players who have performed consistently well recently. As I said in the last post, regardless of the circumstances, he hasn't performed consistently well at club level for over 2 years now, and yet here he is playing in games that are intended for future England players. Shouldn't Harry Kane be playing in his place, a player who is ready for the step up to the Premier League and who Spurs don't want to let go? Or Sordell? Zaha?

Yes but Wilshere was an Arsenal regular and was becoming a full England International, who then picked up a serious ankle injury. Waghorn was coming off a rubbish season, where he was misused by the managers and as a result, was rubbish on the pitch.

I wasn't trying to slag him off, I was just pointing out that he doesn't deserve to be in that squad let alone the team. I'm genuinely happy that he played well tonight and hope that if he gets a place in the team (although that doesn't look likely any time soon) he takes the opportunity with both hands.

So he's had 7 games in the last 12 months, why does that warrant a place in the England u21s team? We've had 6 games this season and Waghorn has featured in one of them. That was against League 2 Burton and he was shocking. This is coming off a pre-season where he performed poorly. I just find it difficult to believe that there aren't several players more worthy of that spot, players who have performed consistently well recently. As I said in the last post, regardless of the circumstances, he hasn't performed consistently well at club level for over 2 years now, and yet here he is playing in games that are intended for future England players. Shouldn't Harry Kane be playing in his place, a player who is ready for the step up to the Premier League and who Spurs don't want to let go? Or Sordell? Zaha?

Yes but Wilshere was an Arsenal regular and was becoming a full England International, who then picked up a serious ankle injury. Waghorn was coming off a rubbish season, where he was misused by the managers and as a result, was rubbish on the pitch.

I wasn't trying to slag him off, I was just pointing out that he doesn't deserve to be in that squad let alone the team. I'm genuinely happy that he played well tonight and hope that if he gets a place in the team (although that doesn't look likely any time soon) he takes the opportunity with both hands.

Maybe I am getting you confused with some of the morons that just write abuse about waghorn, I was surprised he was called up, but obviously Pearce sees something in him from his past performances and attitude in u 21 call ups.

I am made up for him and that he played well, Kane will get his chances, but when they get together waghorn earns a place Kane doesn't.

I am very surprised that Waggy has been included in the U21's based on his recent form, however I am really pleased that he has been involved. With the current strikers at the club, he will struggle to start any matches, so any game time that he can get against reasonable opposition is great for Waggy and great for LCFC.

Waghorn played a deeper role last night, pretty much the central attacking midfielder in a 4-2-3-1. Worked hard, got the assist, somewhat luckily, and had one of England's best efforts on goal.

That said, it was no more than a workman like effort in an generally disjointed performance but he did make a big effort to make the most of his chance which was good to see.

On the other hand, Marshall's performance was more subdued, staying wide right he looked decent on the ball but did not see anything like enough possession to be really influential. By contrast, Ince on the other flank looked pacy and threatening, happy to come inside and attack more centrally helped a lot by the willingness of Rose to overlap and provide the width.

Overall a modest performance by England whose tactic of sitting back second half let Norway back into the game (where have we seen that before?...... :dunno: ), good to see the City lads involved though..... :thumbup:

Who cares whether Kane or anyone else should of started, Pearce picks the team and he picked Waghorn. Whilst im surprised of Waghorn's inclusion, the lad has always had talent and Pearce wouldnt pick him if he thought he wasnt good enough etc.

Seriously guys, whether you like Waggy or not, surely be pleased that a young LCFC striker is representing our country and trying his damned hardest to find his feet in the game again after some torrid injuries.

He's a great option for us and maybe if we give the lad some time, he'll still prove to be a good player for us

OS

Monday was a successful night for City’s international Under-21 contingent, with all four Foxes representatives picking up victories around the continent.

In Chesterfield, Ben Marshall and Martyn Waghorn were both in the England starting eleven as Stuart Pearce’s Young Lions beat Norway 1-0 in their final Group 8 fixture in qualification for next summer’s European Under-21 Championships in Israel.

Marshall, winning his second cap, completed the full 90 minutes at the Proact Stadium while Waghorn, winning his fourth cap, played for 77 minutes before being replaced by Crystal Palace’s Wilfried Zaha.

Sunderland’s Connor Wickham hit the only goal of the game shortly before half-time, ensuring top spot for Pearce’s side and a place in next month’s play-offs, where the ten group winners and four best runners up will compete for seven places alongside the hosts in next summer’s finals.

Joining England in Friday’s draw will be Anthony Knockaert’s France, who had already secured top spot in Group 9 before their defeat to Slovakia in their final group game last week.

On Monday night, Les Espoirs hosted Chile in a friendly in La Rochelle, with Foxes winger Knockaert marking his Under-21 debut with a spectacular opening goal on 53 minutes.

knockaert-4-3-lc4908-053280-362671.jpg

Anthony went on to complete the 90 minutes as the French ran out comfortable winners against their South American opponents – Lyon duo Gueida Fofana and Alexandre Lacazette on-target before Montpellier’s Remy Cabella wrapped up a 4-0 win.

But there will be no place in next summer’s finals for Marko Futacs and Hungary, despite them finishing their Group 7 campaign with consecutive wins – firstly over the Republic of Ireland last Thursday and then over Liechtenstein on Monday night.

Just as he was against the Irish, Marko was in the starting eleven for Monday night’s game in Kecskemet, completing 73 minutes of Hungary’s 2-0 win.

Attila Fiola and substitute Balazs Balogh delivered the goals as Hungary finished fourth in Group 7.

Foxes interest in the current international break concludes on Tuesday night at senior level, with Andy King’s Wales travelling to Serbia and Sean St. Ledger’s Republic of Ireland playing Oman in London.

Waghorn had a decent first half last night, but Marshall was far from his best.

But neither were helped by a woeful England central midfield. Jordan Henderson, a £20m player, looked especially dire. On last night's evidence, I wouldn't even swap him for Richie Wellens!

I was at the game lat night and thought Waghorn was one of our best players. All the neutrals around me were talking in very positive terms. Marshall was a bit quiet, mainly cause the system didn't suit him and the supply from midfield was shocking

Waghorn needs game time and I think we will see the best of him he has potential but he is stagnating injuries haven't helped him, best thing for him is to loan him out to get him game time I don't think the Under 21 is going to be enough for him any thoughts?

Archived