Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MattGamble92

Can The Pearson clear out really work? As Beckford looks to leave....

It is pretty obvious that Nigel really opposed the "Sven Revolution". The way in which we splashed the cash on big name players really isn't the Nigel way. Whether you agree or not with the way Sven did things. Is this mass clear out of big earners really going to work?

In many ways it reminds me of what AVB tried to do at Chelsea. Okay, there may not be the same reasoning behind the attempted clear out. But both managers have tried to come in and bring their own stamp on the side, a process that you would expect to take some time, while under the pressure of expected short term success.

So is this process really viable and realistic? I think if this was a 3 year plan for Pearson he'd have enough time to make it work. As much as i was impressed by our performances against Charlton and Blackburn, which gave me hope for the long term, i realised there simply isn't a long term. It's this season or never. For Pearson, and maybe for us.

It is pretty obvious that Nigel really opposed the "Sven Revolution". The way in which we splashed the cash on big name players really isn't the Nigel way. Whether you agree or not with the way Sven did things. Is this mass clear out of big earners really going to work?

In many ways it reminds me of what AVB tried to do at Chelsea. Okay, there may not be the same reasoning behind the attempted clear out. But both managers have tried to come in and bring their own stamp on the side, a process that you would expect to take some time, while under the pressure of expected short term success.

So is this process really viable and realistic? I think if this was a 3 year plan for Pearson he'd have enough time to make it work. As much as i was impressed by our performances against Charlton and Blackburn, which gave me hope for the long term, i realised there simply isn't a long term. It's this season or never. For Pearson, and maybe for us.

What if the rumoured mass clear-out of higher earners from the failed gamble isn't just a directive from the board... Pretty sure NP doesn't care where the zeros are on the books, but the board do...

what he will care about though is that he won't want players who think they have the right to pick the team with their name the first name on it, sat on the bench & causing unrest

What if the rumoured mass clear-out of higher earners from the failed gamble isn't just a directive from the board... Pretty sure NP doesn't care where the zeros are on the books, but the board do...

what he will care about though is that he won't want players who think they have the right to pick the team with their name the first name on it, sat on the bench & causing unrest

The reasoning behind it could be down to many things. I don't think it is a coincidence that Pearson has a history with getting rid of high earners. And he seems to like to buy players of the same ilk as he was a player. I also think he would be pissed off if the owners turn round and tell him to clear out all the highest earners and be conservative after Sven was handed a blank cheque book.

I'm not surprised he's opposed to the Sven revolution, the Sven revolution completely under-achieved and I think literally 100% every single aspect of it is opposite to what Pearson likes in a squad.

This was always gonna take time.

I agree to the extent that the wage bill needs evening out; it must create some sort of divide with the players. But I don't think Beckford should go. Those who suggest he has a poor attitude are jumping on the bandwagon. Everytime I've seen him play this season it's been with a smile and more effort.

I agree to the extent that the wage bill needs evening out; it must create some sort of divide with the players. But I don't think Beckford should go. Those who suggest he has a poor attitude are jumping on the bandwagon. Everytime I've seen him play this season it's been with a smile and more effort.

If he'd had any of this in the first place, people wouldn't be on his case as much.

Have any of the players gone or going been our best performers? For me the answer is clearly no. They have all disappointed in return for their outlay.

So long as replacements are signed I have no problem at all in replacing underperformers like these guys.

Have any of the players gone or going been our best performers? For me the answer is clearly no. They have all disappointed in return for their outlay.

So long as replacements are signed I have no problem at all in replacing underperformers like these guys.

I am a Beckford fan but I would have to agree that he hasn't been one of our best performers which is a huge shame because of the talent that is clearly in him. If any of this is true, just who is likely to be "cleared out" - Beckford does seem the first name on everyone's lips, but then who, Gallagher, St Ledger, Danns ? If they go, they go, but as for replacements, that would be a lot of players to bring in on deadline day. If these do go, how long before NP turns his attention to the one remaining Sven signing ( at least I think the last) Schmeichel ?

What would we do without all the in and out transfer speculation every August and January ?

Do you mean replaced before the window shuts? or at some point?

I look at it like this, we have far too many players that you wouldn't trust to put in a given performance on any day of the season, let alone the (often quoted) mid week winter away game. King, Danns, Beckford, (hate to say it) Nuge, SSL, Gallagher, and I might have added Sol and Mills to that list. I just think we need a different attitude of player in our squad. I think Nige recognises that.

To me, Vardy, DD, James, Morgan, De Laet and Knockaert appear to have a more grafting attitude. Not saying they are all better players, but I think that's what he's after.

I'm leaning towards this too. I'm not 100% convinced the clear-out is a board directive but more to do with NP attempting to build a harmonious, younger squad and removing elements he might see as poor examples for the younger players to be around.

I look at it like this, we have far too many players that you wouldn't trust to put in a given performance on any day of the season, let alone the (often quoted) mid week winter away game. King, Danns, Beckford, (hate to say it) Nuge, SSL, Gallagher, and I might have added Sol and Mills to that list. I just think we need a different attitude of player in our squad. I think Nige recognises that.

To me, Vardy, DD, James, Morgan, De Laet and Knockaert appear to have a more grafting attitude. Not saying they are all better players, but I think that's what he's after.

While I agree to a certain extent we also need players with ability too. It is a very difficult job to be a football manager but if you do not have the people skills to effectively manage all types of player then you will never be a top manager.

The players do not have to like him but they do need to be motivated to play for him. Tuesday was embarrassing and few seemed interested. Not sure whether that is down to him or the players but something needs to change and fast before we end up with another season of mediocrity.

First of all if he goes, I have only seen a loan deal mentioned, and no time frame either, so he will still be our player.

Beckford got the nod over Nugent at the start of the season, but didn't look great and didn't score, vardy and Nugent looked to have a better understanding at Blackburn, and Nugent was top scores last season.

Nugent and Becks weren't able to form a decent partnership last season, so it is not that surprising that having 2 top earners unable to play at the same time would mean one was going to leave, and of those 2 Nugent has been better.

As for can it work? Of course it can, np is more likely to get his players playing his way successfully. Will it work? We may never find out as none of these deals are actually confirmed yet.

Totally agree with this... This is one of the things I like about Pearson getting 'unproven' players, they try. For example, Vardy has come from the lower leagues so he puts the effort in, likewise the lads that have something to prove to Manchester United etc

Nothing official on Beckford (yet), but SSN reporting it anyway.

Sky Sources; Leicester striker Jermaine Beckford to join Huddersfield on loan.

Deadline day updates;

Huddersfield have a Jordan Rhodes sized hole to fill in their squad - could Leicester's Jermaine Beckford be the man for the job? Early whispers suggest he could be.

I am slowly starting to agree that Beckford isn't suited to Pearson's regime or Leicester's. Is there any point in us keeping him if he's not going to score the goals he is capable of?

Pearson is dismantling all what Sven tried to build and too be honest there are few players that have gone that achieved anything for us, as Babylon says. However, we are yet to improve under Pearson in terms of consistency or team spirit so i'm not convinced we're destined for success in the immediate future.

I am slowly starting to agree that Beckford isn't suited to Pearson's regime or Leicester's. Is there any point in us keeping him if he's not going to score the goals he is capable of?

Pearson is dismantling all what Sven tried to build and too be honest there are few players that have gone that achieved anything for us, as Babylon says. However, we are yet to improve under Pearson in terms of consistency or team spirit so i'm not convinced we're destined for success in the immediate future.

I think this about sums it up for me.

Pearson appears to be pretty ruthlessly dismantling the previous regime.

Whether this is due to wanting to 'establish a settled squad' or as a directive from the Thais (or both) nobody really knows.

Getting rid of Beckford? Well he's hardly set the world alight at City has he and the substitution at half time at Blackburn told it's own story. It's not the first time Pearson has done this with Jermaine.

I thought pre season that we weren't going to have enough quality in the squad anyway. But possibly losing players and not replacing them would leave us a little thin on the ground i would think. I could be wrong, but the signs remain for me that this is going to be a long, tough season.

Our problem last year was consistency. This has to stem from having too many inconsistent players.

We've had too many in the team that whilst capable of being excellent at times, too often in between they have stinkers or don't offer enough when off their game. I've seen Mills, SSL, Beckford, Gallagher, to some extent Bamba all put in performances that would rank as 9/10 maybe even the odd 10. But it's no good being excellent one in every 10 games or so, and then being rated 5/6 out of 10 the games in between.

The general feeling on here last year that Kasper, Nugent and Konch were out best performers. Kasper aside the other two might not be as eye catching as a Beckford or a Gallagher when on their game. But they probably pull in more 7/8 out of 10 games and didn't have so many dips in performance.

Their consistency seemed much higher, and when off form generally still offered something else to the team. Vardy looks like he could be one of those players, will he score loads more than Beckford did? Probably not many more. But by the looks of it so far you will get more from him for the team.

Every team can carry one maybe two players whose best only shines now and again but can be great. To me we look like we've been carrying too many of them.

I hope that comes across correctly, I have a stinking headache and it was hard to even write it.

I think this about sums it up for me.

Pearson appears to be pretty ruthlessly dismantling the previous regime.

Whether this is due to wanting to 'establish a settled squad' or as a directive from the Thais (or both) nobody really knows.

Getting rid of Beckford? Well he's hardly set the world alight at City has he and the substitution at half time at Blackburn told it's own story. It's not the first time Pearson has done this with Jermaine.

I thought pre season that we weren't going to have enough quality in the squad anyway. But possibly losing players and not replacing them would leave us a little thin on the ground i would think. I could be wrong, but the signs remain for me that this is going to be a long, tough season.

There's just too many question marks over our side at the minute for me. It doesn't seem right. The squad looked quite strong before the season started but it seems he's happy to let some players go without any indication of bringing replacements in. Scoring goals is a problem for us, whether we create a lot of chances or not. Nugent isn't a natural goalscorer and misses so many easy chances. Vardy might be prolific but there's a lot of pressure on him and that leaves Waghorn whose confidence and form is shot to bits and Futacs and Schlupp who are both learning their trade. It's not strong enough to challenge for a top 6 spot unless Pearson can work his magic.

Likewise at the back, it's been over 9 months since he's been back at Leicester but he's not tightened us defence up at all. New players have come in and plenty have defenders have left, but we're still suspect.

I hope he knows what he's doing.

Our problem last year was consistency. This has to stem from having too many inconsistent players.

We've had too many in the team that whilst capable of being excellent at times, too often in between they have stinkers or don't offer enough when off their game. I've seen Mills, SSL, Beckford, Gallagher, to some extent Bamba all put in performances that would rank as 9/10 maybe even the odd 10. But it's no good being excellent one in every 10 games or so, and then being rated 5/6 out of 10 the games in between.

The general feeling on here last year that Kasper, Nugent and Konch were out best performers. Kasper aside the other two might not be as eye catching as a Beckford or a Gallagher when on their game. But they probably pull in more 7/8 out of 10 games and didn't have so many dips in performance.

Their consistency seemed much higher, and when off form generally still offered something else to the team. Vardy looks like he could be one of those players, will he score loads more than Beckford did? Probably not many more. But by the looks of it so far you will get more from him for the team.

Every team can carry one maybe two players whose best only shines now and again but can be great. To me we look like we've been carrying too many of them.

I hope that comes across correctly, I have a stinking headache and it was hard to even write it.

Spot on mate. However, good managers seem to get the best out of these types of players. Look through the successful teams at this level in recent years and some of the players that have shone are players that were rejects and mis-fits because of this very reason. I have concerns over Pearson's ability to get through to the nucleus of this squad.

There's just too many question marks over our side at the minute for me. It doesn't seem right. The squad looked quite strong before the season started but it seems he's happy to let some players go without any indication of bringing replacements in. Scoring goals is a problem for us, whether we create a lot of chances or not. Nugent isn't a natural goalscorer and misses so many easy chances. Vardy might be prolific but there's a lot of pressure on him and that leaves Waghorn whose confidence and form is shot to bits and Futacs and Schlupp who are both learning their trade. It's not strong enough to challenge for a top 6 spot unless Pearson can work his magic.

Likewise at the back, it's been over 9 months since he's been back at Leicester but he's not tightened us defence up at all. New players have come in and plenty have defenders have left, but we're still suspect.

I hope he knows what he's doing.

You're last sentence is a beauty because it asks the million dollar question. Sad person that I am I woke up this morning thinking exactly what you've just said there. It's been a bad week for Nigel IMO. The loss in the cup which he, himself, stated was unacceptable, the rumours about unrest and last nights interview with Stringer which, for me, came across as a little too 'assertive' for someone who was feeling happy with his lot.

I'm a little torn at the mo. I've always liked Pearson, was over the moon when he returned but I think the next two games are 'biggies' in terms of judging whether we are going to be a real force in this division, or also rans. With any luck it's the former and all this tension can be quelled. It certainly needs to be.

Never a dull moment at City...

Spot on mate. However, good managers seem to get the best out of these types of players. Look through the successful teams at this level in recent years and some of the players that have shone are players that were rejects and mis-fits because of this very reason. I have concerns over Pearson's ability to get through to the nucleus of this squad.

One of those managers was Pearson with a team mostly made up of frees.

Are these players capable of consistency? Bamba was languishing at Hibs, SSL had been relegated at Preston, Mills we got told by Reading fans shone only when on TV and was average in between. Beckford is yet to prove himself consistent for anyone above league one. And Gally has always been one of those players lacking consistency.

I dunno.

Archived