Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bilbo

Wolves Away - Pre-match

There is another thread but that was so early considering it was started about an hour after the Blackpool game.

I'd give Knockaert a go ahead of Dyer, bring De Laet back and set up differently to start the game. This is my 4-2-3-1 idea which I've posted a couple of times, offering the balance between defence and attack, especially for away games. Marshall is playing behind, with Vardy wide left because of his workrate, pace and ability to beat defenders and create opportunities.

Kasper

De Laet -- Morgan -- Moore -- Konchesky

King -- Drinkwater

Knockaert -- Marshall -- Vardy

Nugent

Subs: St Ledger, James, Danns, Dyer, Schlupp Beckford, Futacs

I like the look of this...respect due to wolves 4-5-1...good man!

Same team as against Blackpool.

Lose 2-0 never being in it.

Just don't think we'll do well.

We love a defeat against a west midlands team when on tv at sunday lunchtime. It's happened so often. No doubt, give away a penalty as well and get a red card.

Having said that, i've had a 1-1 feeling all week.

Kasper

Moore Morgan St Ledger Konch

King Drink

Knocky Marshall Vardy

Nugent

King and Drinkwater can both tackle and can play defensively, Marshall plays better more centrally and Vardy scored most of his goals from a wide left position last season

Would probably play Kasper a bit more central :ph34r:

Nice ideas in there, but Marshall is out best crosser and hes played on the wing his whole career

Dont see us switching to a 4-2-3-1 either unfortunately, especially away from home

Would probably play Kasper a bit more central :ph34r:

Nice ideas in there, but Marshall is out best crosser and hes played on the wing his whole career

Dont see us switching to a 4-2-3-1 either unfortunately, especially away from home

On paper at least, that is the best side we could put out. It addresses virtually all of our current issues....... :thumbup:

The midfield '3' has to play quite tight, which will give us the extra presence in midfield and take some of the load off Drinkwater and King and most importantly gets Marshall more involved.

Any one of the '3' can get wide and stretch the defence but in the main they should be attacking the box and supporting the striker so we might actually win some second ball in a critical area.

Marshall may be the best crosser but given that the team does not attack crosses with any conviction this is largely irrelevant, furthermore, he has no pace so rarely beats a full back to get to the byline so his crosses are from deep and less effective as a consequence.

Our fullbacks and defence is our weakest area of the team so I would expect Pearson to play two wide men against us. He'd be mental not to. Our central midfield is pretty strong and tough to get through with Henry and Doumbia so the wings is where this game will be won or lost IMO and whoevers strikers csn put their chances away. It'll be a very tight game in all probability.

After Solbakken's press conference yesterday it sounds like Margreitter may stay on the bench for this leaving Berra to partner Johnson at the back.

Look out for Berra's grappling and shirt pulling, especially from set pieces. I sometimes think he'd be better of in WWE rather than football!!

Our fullbacks and defence is our weakest area of the team so I would expect Pearson to play two wide men against us. He'd be mental not to. Our central midfield is pretty strong and tough to get through with Henry and Doumbia so the wings is where this game will be won or lost IMO and whoevers strikers csn put their chances away. It'll be a very tight game in all probability.

I don't think Pearson ever really considers the opposition, he will play 442 with two wide man because that is how we've lined up all season, not because of any perceived weakness in wolves fullbacks.

Looking forward to the game should be a cracker, some quality forwards and not so tight defences can see it being a high scores, you have the quality up front so I think you'll score, or at least create a number of chances, hopefully you will commit some more men forwards than Charlton or Blackburn did at their places and we can use our pace to get in behind.

What's been the reaction to your new manager? I knew fvck all about him before, and can't say I know much more than that now.

What's been the reaction to your new manager? I knew fvck all about him before, and can't say I know much more than that now.

The reaction was first one of "who?" obviously. Then after reading about him he seemed to have a pretty impressive track record, especially with FC Copenhagen where he won 5 Danish league titles and a couple of cups with them. He also engineered victories over Man utd and Ajax and a draw against Barcelona in their various Champions League games. He got relegated with FC Koln last season but the club was a bit of a basket case by all accounts with intefering infuences from above. Stripping local hero Podolski of the captaincy didn't endear him to the fans much either. He actually agreed in principle to take over the Norway managers job after the Euros but agreed to join us instead.

He seems to be one of the new breed of possession based managers with the lines of defence moving up and down the field in unison and keeping their shape above all else. He speaks very openly and honestly and seems a very genuine down to earth bloke. He's already talked about the club creating a philosophy from top to bottom that will transcend whichever managers come and go. So he seems very ambitious, it's just whether he can translate his ideas into English football and be successful as well.

With the team and resources we have anything other than playoffs or above will be classed as a failure IMO. A slow start was expected due to the relegation hangover, low confidence, a poor defence, losing players and integrating so many new signings late on into the window, and trying to play a new style of football. But now we are starting to get a regular settled XI and more time on the training pitches then we should start to get better results hopefully.

It's worth remembering that Reading were around 16th place last November and still won the league. That's the positive about this league, a good run of form can shoot you up the table very quickly.

Archived