Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
chris_lcfc_85

Drinkwater unsung hero

Yes he has started this season well, majority of the games he has been one of our better players, but he is nowhere near being an unsung hero.

He is far too inconsistent, and far too lightweight, it's the little things that you can easily pick up on about his game, if you concentrate on his game properly.

His passing at times is absolutely horrid, on Sunday he attempted three passes, which ended up being three of the worst passes I have ever seen, he also should win the ball more often than he does, he closes down and gets stuck in, but his attempts to win the ball are so weak, he should of won a lot of balls in the first half against Hull, but it seemed James was doing most of that work, Matty James was far better than Drinkwater until he got subbed, then Drinkwater took over and started to control the midfield and started to play well.

But Drinkwater has some great qualities, but he also has a range of flaws in his game which need addressing.

Yes he has started this season well, majority of the games he has been one of our better players, but he is nowhere near being an unsung hero.

He is far too inconsistent, and far too lightweight, it's the little things that you can easily pick up on about his game, if you concentrate on his game properly.

oooh, get you! ;)

His passing at times is absolutely horrid, on Sunday he attempted three passes, which ended up being three of the worst passes I have ever seen, he also should win the ball more often than he does, he closes down and gets stuck in, but his attempts to win the ball are so weak, he should of won a lot of balls in the first half against Hull, but it seemed James was doing most of that work, Matty James was far better than Drinkwater until he got subbed, then Drinkwater took over and started to control the midfield and started to play well.

But Drinkwater has some great qualities, but he also has a range of flaws in his game which need addressing.

Yes its about opionions but totally disagree with this!

Drinkwater was excellent on Sunday, apart from 2/3 wayward passes, he controlled the game from start to finish and worked tirelessly.

Plus, on the lightweight note, granted he's no big strong ox but he's improved that side of his game no end

Drinky himself said he likes partnering James.

He would say that as they know each other from their Man Utd days and Drinkwater plays a more attacking role in that pairing. He's slightly more defensive when he plays with King so it's not so enjoyable for him. It's Drinkwater/King that have been dominant and looked classy, not Drinkwater/James.

He would say that as they know each other from their Man Utd days and Drinkwater plays a more attacking role in that pairing. He's slightly more defensive when he plays with King so it's not so enjoyable for him. It's Drinkwater/King that have been dominant and looked classy, not Drinkwater/James.

I can't agree with that mate. I thought the best midfield performance came last Sunday.

Don't you think that was more down to the formation and Knockaert being so good?

Yes.. But James and Drinky are suited to that formation. This isn't to knock King, but I think we need to develop that midfield partnership and stick with something if possible.

I wouldn't be chopping and changing the side.

Yes.. But James and Drinky are suited to that formation. This isn't to knock King, but I think we need to develop that midfield partnership and stick with something if possible.

I wouldn't be chopping and changing the side.

Well, that's the point Col, the other games were a standard 4-4-2 and the Drinkwater/King pairing was clearly the better of the 2. They dominated all the teams they played together apart from Wolves when Drinkwater was off his game first half and King went off injured. If we keep this formation i'd say keep James in as he's more defensive than King. 4-4-2, i'd bring back King

Well, that's the point Col, the other games were a standard 4-4-2 and the Drinkwater/King pairing was clearly the better of the 2. They dominated all the teams they played together apart from Wolves when Drinkwater was off his game first half and King went off injured. If we keep this formation i'd say keep James in as he's more defensive than King. 4-4-2, i'd bring back King

Yep I'd agree with that..

He likes to move the ball quickly around the pitch, and with Knockaert playing a different role, he has an option just in front of him.

Not a tackler in the true sense, his harrassing of players leads to winning the ball back and he's not reckless.

If he can work on his shooting we'll have a very effective player on our hands.

He shows that he can be a quality player, reads the game well, and rarely looses the ball once he has got it, yes the odd pass goes astray but that applies to all the players, perhaps why it shows more is because is passing is in close situations and is not a long hopeful ball which you get from the back 4.

Still think a good hard tackling midfielder would be the answer to let Drinky get forward more, think James is a better tackler than King.

Drinky was my MOTM on Sunday apart from the fact Nuge got the hattrick which will always sway in his favour understandably so!Drinky made us tick and was everywhere looking for options which our players provided in abundance.Knocky attacking creative flair Nuge and Vardy tireless endeavour Marshall not at his best at the moment but we know what he can do, James very improved and complimentary to Drinky king and Lloydy offering different options....What's not to like?

When Drinkwater was at oakwell we got the best out of him when barnsley played him with Perkins and Butterfield.

When he was at Barnsley i never thought he was brilliant at one thing but he could do both aspects well. HE played with perkins who just wins the ball, nothing more really and Butterfield who didn't really defend but was bril with the ball either to pick a pass or play with both feet and shoot.

Not sure what formation you lot use but 433/451 was the formation he was in at Oakwell.

When Drinkwater was at oakwell we got the best out of him when barnsley played him with Perkins and Butterfield.

When he was at Barnsley i never thought he was brilliant at one thing but he could do both aspects well. HE played with perkins who just wins the ball, nothing more really and Butterfield who didn't really defend but was bril with the ball either to pick a pass or play with both feet and shoot.

Not sure what formation you lot use but 433/451 was the formation he was in at Oakwell.

Twas a 4-4-2... not it's 4 at the back and everyone else wherever they feel like.

We play 4 2 3 1 and he plays in one of the holding roles, and has been doing it excellently recently.

He seems to be very similar to Wellens but with more energy and possibly more ability.

Personally I have always felt Wellens has been crying to play alongside a more defensive midfield partner (i.e. James) so he can get forward and be more creative.

All depends on the opposition but Drink / James is prob a safer bet or Wellens/James or for a more attacking style bring King on with Wellens or Drinks.

Archived