Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MPH

James Vardy - Just how important is he to the team?

Just a little observation really.... James Vardy's last start for us was the last of our 5 wins in a row.

We have won just one game in the last six. He's made 2 sub appearances in that time.

Firstly he was suffering with illness... now its Vardy ( ankle).

I Live in North Carolina so havnt seen recent games ( apart from today! :) ) so i cant comment on what his worth is to the team.. so its simply an observation... and im throwing it out there for any comments...

Is it a coincidence? or is Vardy REALLY that important to the team

I have noticed that Waghorn seems to be getting match-sharp (ish) Is he better for the team than Vardy?

( mods feel free to add to any other Vardy thread if you dont feel we need another one!).

Vardy and SSL together have both been a loss, I think.

Vardy's work for the team is sensational, he's full of endless running and his energy really challenges defenses. I also think he takes some of the strain off of Nugent and it's no coincidence that the Nuge has seemed a lot more fatigued with Vardy out of the side.

He's not irreplaceable, though, we've just had a general dip in form. Knockaert and Marshall are off the boil, Waghorn doesn't look like scoring, Drinkwater's had a couple of wonky games, King's had a wobble. What's important now is that we pick ourselves up and just crack on. You're going to have off-spells throughout a season and the important thing is that they don't last.

Its difficult to say.There's a number of factors that have changed since the end of our winning run, some people will cite Whitbread's presence as the sole cause of all woes, but in truth it's a combination of lots of little things, including injuries, interrupted momentum due to the international break, a few off colour performances from the midfield, some terrible refereeing, decent opposition teams, and when it all adds up, we stopped winning games.

One of the things I like about Vardy is his closing down when the opposition has the ball, it really helps the team to defend higher up the pitch and put pressure on the opposition defence. On today's performance, Waghorn demonstrated some excellent closing down of his own, so currently I guess there's not much to choose between the 2 of them in that regard. Certainly, when compared to the Brighton game a few weeks ago, Waghorn seems to have stepped things up a notch in the last 2 games.

Would be good to have Vardy back though, he can grab a goal, even if he's not been massively prolific so far, and outside Waghorn and Nugent, we don't seem to have many options up front at the moment, especially with Schlupp occupied by left back duty.

Its difficult to say.There's a number of factors that have changed since the end of our winning run, some people will cite Whitbread's presence as the sole cause of all woes, but in truth it's a combination of lots of little things, including injuries, interrupted momentum due to the international break, a few off colour performances from the midfield, some terrible refereeing, decent opposition teams, and when it all adds up, we stopped winning games.

One of the things I like about Vardy is his closing down when the opposition has the ball, it really helps the team to defend higher up the pitch and put pressure on the opposition defence. On today's performance, Waghorn demonstrated some excellent closing down of his own, so currently I guess there's not much to choose between the 2 of them in that regard. Certainly, when compared to the Brighton game a few weeks ago, Waghorn seems to have stepped things up a notch in the last 2 games.

Would be good to have Vardy back though, he can grab a goal, even if he's not been massively prolific so far, and outside Waghorn and Nugent, we don't seem to have many options up front at the moment, especially with Schlupp occupied by left back duty.

Yeah actually i think you touched on one difference between Waggy and Vardy.... Vardy has a HISTORY ( albeit in a lower division) of regularly finding the net....

Do you think that Vardy creates any space for the likes of knocky to do his stuff?

Yes, I do. There's a constant energy and running in Vardy, Nugent and Knockaert and I think the three of them compliment each other very well.

That's not to suggest that Waghorn is lazy but he has quite clearly been lacking in fitness and doesn't have the pace of Vardy. I thought today he looked much better, was a clear handful and caused a real disturbance to the Forest defense. Unfortunately, though, a few of the best chances came his way and he just didn't take them.

Yes, I do. There's a constant energy and running in Vardy, Nugent and Knockaert and I think the three of them compliment each other very well.

That's not to suggest that Waghorn is lazy but he has quite clearly been lacking in fitness and doesn't have the pace of Vardy. I thought today he looked much better, was a clear handful and caused a real disturbance to the Forest defense. Unfortunately, though, a few of the best chances came his way and he just didn't take them.

Like i say... i havnt seen any of the games... so im just gleaning info from the merc, radios leicester and here.... I might indeed be off the mark..

But it seems to me that Vardy and the role he played could of been quite pivotal... to quite a number of players.. and it also seems that our performances have picked up a little now that Waggy is getting match fit.... In hindsight it might of been wise for Waggy to of been out on loan somewhere with a recall option as the players seem to be working really hard to regain the momentum that was lost when Vardy was taken out of the equation and a not match fit/ match sharp waggy put in, instead.. Seems like alot of people relied on Vardys energy

SEAN ST LEDGER'S INJURY IS THE REASON WE'VE STOPPED WINNING. ZAK WHITBREAD IS THE ADE AKINBIYI OF CENTRE BACKS!!!!

I hope you're joking, I really do, because if you're not it's incredible that someone who just over two weeks ago plus repped a post bashing fans for 'slating our own players' can hold that view. It also means you're completely blind to the fact that Whitbread was £5,000,000 cheaper when it comes to the transfer fee. However as you've posted similar about Whitbread before I'm beginning to doubt that.

Our fans bloody love a scapegoat, and it was SSL when he first signed, good to see our fans have learnt their lesson and Whitbread is our new one :rolleyes:

Oh and re Vardy I think he is very important and we will be much stronger when he is back in the team, however I think Waghorn has really picked his game up recently.

I think Vardy would be better to go out on loan to a first or second level club. This would be a step up from last season, and the experience, I think would benefit him, and bring him some goals, and encouragement.

At the moment he has potential, but is not yet ready for regular Championship football.

I think Vardy would be better to go out on loan to a first or second level club. This would be a step up from last season, and the experience, I think would benefit him, and bring him some goals, and encouragement.

At the moment he has potential, but is not yet ready for regular Championship football.

Disagree better off sending Waghorn to that level of football, Vardy is far better than Waghorn imo.

DT out of curiosity,based on your post, would you persist with Waggy then? I personally feel Vardy has made a huge step up pretty well and far from looks out of place. I would persist with him and firmly believe more time in the team will reap rewards with Waggy aternating when required.

Vardy very important.

Brings the midfield into play allowing our attacks to have more pupose. Never gives defenders a second, meaning opposition attacks tend to be punts rather than meaningful passes & he bagged a few & was very unlucky with being denied by one in a million keeper's performances.

He's potentially got it all - Need him back in the team, as a minimum he brings the best out of others.

Vardy very important.

Brings the midfield into play allowing our attacks to have more pupose. Never gives defenders a second, meaning opposition attacks tend to be punts rather than meaningful passes & he bagged a few & was very unlucky with being denied by one in a million keeper's performances.

He's potentially got it all - Need him back in the team, as a minimum he brings the best out of others.

Agree :thumbup:

Vardy very important.

Agree. He does more than people think despite his lack of goals.

Archived