Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Sheffield Wednesday Player Ratings

Well I enjoyed that! Didn't see a thread so...

Kasper 6 - Nothing to do, apart from communicate better with that punch he missed

De Laet - 8

Morgan - 8 - Solid, as usual

Whitbread - 7

Schlupp - 7

Marshall - 7 - Did well, and then scored a beauty

King - 7

Drinkwater - 8 - Thought he was class today. Won the ball back, drove forward, scored a goal.

Dyer - 6

Vardy - 6

Waghorn - 7 - Unlucky with the effort that hit the bar.

Kasper - 6 - nothing to do

De laet - 7 - drive, determination and a good outlet. Impressing me more and more

Morgan - 8 - captains performance. Solid! Dealt perfectly with bothroyd

Whitbread - 7 - solid

Schlupp - 7 - very good. Pace, width and athleticism.

Marshall - 7 - quiet up until the goal. Great finish and positional play was first class.

Drinkwater - 8 - battled brilliantly. Tidy in possession. First class!

King - 8 - see DD

Dyer 7 - quiet but still looked dangerous on counter. Didnt get much of ball but caused problems.

Vardy - 6 - just lacked abit of quality on the ball. Unfortunately just looks slightly off the pace at this level of what I've seen. Hope he comes good.

Waghorn - 7 - good hold up play. Love this guy so much. Good touch and work rate. So unlucky with his shot that hit the bar. Him and nuge could be unreal

Kasper 6 - needs to communicate a bit more otherwise another nice clean sheet.

RDL 7 - Did well in attack and defence.

Schlupp 7 - Silly booking, but again didn't look out of place and starting to form a decent partnership with Lloyd.

Morgan 8 - Total beast. Unbeatable.

Whitbread 7 - Needs to realise he can't always win the ball, solid in the air.

Marshall 7 - Played like we know he can, another lovely goal.

Dyer 7 - Used his pace well and gave their defence a hard time.

King 8 - Perfect foil for Drinkwater today. Some of his runs were sublime.

Drinkwater 9 - ran the game, scored a great goal.

Vardy 6 - Wish he'd shoot sometimes. Could've scored in the second half. Hard work as always.

Waghorn 7 - Loving that he's continuing to play. Looks a totally different player. Unlucky not to score. Great endeavour.

All of the subs didn't really have enough time to warrant any real rating.

It's funny how people and rating Kasper he made five brilliant catches and punches in the first half and took all the pressure off the central defenders and all people are remembering is that one mixup they keep forgetting all the brilliant stuff him and the defence do and all the times the xominicate correctly which this season is 99% of the time. Hence our brilliant record!

Kasper - 6 - much better when he punches than tries to catch although one mix up nearly ended in tears

De laet - 7 - good game but poor touch a few times when under no pressure

Morgan - 8 - solid. Too strong for their forwards

Whitbread - 8.1 - MOM for me. Great in the air (again) and some excellent blocks (fortunately didn't let the booking restrict his play in the 2nd half)

Schlupp - 7 - some great link up play (wish Refs would fcuk off booking players for kicking the ball away - just add time on for time wasting)

Marshall - 7 - fantastic goal, pity about the 2nd half header which seemed much easier to score

Drinkwater - 8 - was everywhere today

King - 8 - bossed the midfield with DD

Dyer 7 - SW had watched the Ipswich highlights and put two men on LD but still a threat

Vardy - 6 - ran for everything up front but lacked touch in the penalty area

Waghorn - 7 - a good outlet up front but definitely needs to convert more chances

Konckaert - 7 - loved the way NP brought him on to tease SW for the last 10 minutes

Overall the lads played brilliantly today in horrible conditions. Defence/midfield very solid but we need to convert more chances in these games. Could easily have won 4-0 without flattering. Can't remember a worthwhile SW effort on goal.

Agree with Bert. Just to highlight Drinkwater, he was just a different class today. When he wants to he just dominates games by himself.

Also, nice that we can seemingly rest/drop Knockaert and still have another class to comfortably win away from home. When he came on he looked like the Knockaert we're used to seeing. Had me laughing when Taylor was tripping over his own feet in the box towards the end.

Kasper - 6 - Not much to do, not bad when called upon.

De laet - 7

Morgan - 7

Whitbread - 7.5 - Solid, best defender today

Schlupp - 7

Marshall - 8 - Another trademark goal and ran the show. One of my 3 men of the match.

Drinkwater - 8 - Brilliant finish and bossed midfield. Again, up there for MOTM.

King - 7 - Quieter game, doing the quiet job - and well.

Dyer 7

Vardy - 7 - Good to see him back in the team, solid enough, just needs his match-fitness. Personally like him and Waggy up top.

Waghorn - 8 - Top quality hold-up play. I've said it all along, he's not all about the goals, and he played a key part in DD's goal and was unlucky with 2 efforts today, one that hit the bar and one that was well saved. Well worth his starting place at present, and the last of my 3 joint MOTM's.

Can't comment too much on the subs, but since we were looking just fine during the last few minutes, they get 6's from me, other than Knockeart who earns a 7 for his tricky showboating. :thumbup:

Schmeichel- 6 (Little to do yet again, will be disappointed with the communication breakdown with Whitbread in the first half)

De Laet- 7 (Very impressive going forward and defending today)

Morgan- 8 (Just bullies strikers, would hate to play against him)

Whitbread- 7 (Very secure)

Schlupp- 7 (Another encouraging performance at LB)

Marshall- 7 (Drifted in and out, lovely goal)

Drinkwater- 9 (This lad is great, so crucial to our team)

King- 8 (Links up so well with Drinkwater, always involved now)

Dyer- 7 (Not as good as last week, but still ok)

Waghorn- 7 (Unlucky with his effort that hit the bar, build-up play fine again)

Vardy- 6 (Tried hard but little went his way)

Kasper - 6 - much better when he punches than tries to catch although one mix up nearly ended in tears

Whitbread - 8.1 - MOM for me. Great in the air (again) and some excellent blocks (fortunately didn't let the booking restrict his play in the 2nd half)

Schlupp - 7 - some great link up play (wish Refs would fcuk off booking players for kicking the ball away - just add time on for time wasting)

Marshall - 7 - fantastic goal, pity about the 2nd half header which seemed much easier to score

Dyer 7 - SW had watched the Ipswich highlights and put two men on LD but still a threat

Waghorn - 7 - a good outlet up front but definitely needs to convert more chances

Konckaert - 7 - loved the way NP brought him on to tease SW for the last 10 minutes

Overall the lads played brilliantly today in horrible conditions. Defence/midfield very solid but we need to convert more chances in these games. Could easily have won 4-0 without flattering. Can't remember a worthwhile SW effort on goal.

toially agree very close between him,& Drinky for me :chant:

Kasper - 4 - Little to do yet flapped at crosses and looked very unsteady and unconvincing. Gutted we didn't test him more. Looked a weak link.

De Laet - 5 - Worst of your back 4 and outfield players but not a poor performance. Very fortunate not to have been booked in the first 2-3 mins when he took out Antonio and he wasn't as assured as the others in your defence.

Morgan - 7 - Solid as a rock. Looked a real leader at the back. Never in any real danger.

Whitbread - 7 - Same as Morgan. Calm, composed and professional.

Schlupp - 6 - The better of your full backs. A steady performance.

Marshall - 8 - Not his best individual performance but even still he had a huge say in the outcome of the match. Setup a goal and scored with an excellent placed finish.

King - 7 - Another who looked superior in his position to his opponents.

Drinkwater - 8 - Ran the show. Dominant, composed, and contributed a goal as well. Head and shoulders above the lads in our midfield. Man of the match.

Dyer - 6 - Quietish game but his pace is always a threat.

Vardy - 5 - Missed a couple of decent chances. At times didn't look fully confident and comfortable.

Waghorn - 7 - Desperately unlucky not to score. Missed one excellent chance but kept his head down and didn't seem to let it affect him. Caused us problems and was a real nuisance.

Kasper - 4 - Little to do yet flapped at crosses and looked very unsteady and unconvincing. Gutted we didn't test him more. Looked a weak link.

De Laet - 5 - Worst of your back 4 and outfield players but not a poor performance. Very fortunate not to have been booked in the first 2-3 mins when he took out Antonio and he wasn't as assured as the others in your defence.

Morgan - 7 - Solid as a rock. Looked a real leader at the back. Never in any real danger.

Whitbread - 7 - Same as Morgan. Calm, composed and professional.

Schlupp - 6 - The better of your full backs. A steady performance.

Marshall - 8 - Not his best individual performance but even still he had a huge say in the outcome of the match. Setup a goal and scored with an excellent placed finish.

King - 7 - Another who looked superior in his position to his opponents.

Drinkwater - 8 - Ran the show. Dominant, composed, and contributed a goal as well. Head and shoulders above the lads in our midfield. Man of the match.

Dyer - 6 - Quietish game but his pace is always a threat.

Vardy - 5 - Missed a couple of decent chances. At times didn't look fully confident and comfortable.

Waghorn - 7 - Desperately unlucky not to score. Missed one excellent chance but kept his head down and didn't seem to let it affect him. Caused us problems and was a real nuisance.

Interesting to see from a Wednesdayite perspective! Agree with majority though a tad harsh on Kasper and RDL, as for Vardy his all round play is very good and considering the massive step up he's made he doesn't look out of place.Experience will help him with his decision making and persoally I feel he's either being too unselfish or taking that extra touch when he's done the hard work and got in a great position! Sure NP willl nurture him and get the performances and goals.

Didn't gomtomthe game but have been to every home so far!! Drinks is fastly becoming one of my fave players, loved his attitude in the post match interview!! Quality, engine man midfielder!! Right time to start learning that drinkwater/carragher song again ;)

Interesting to see from a Wednesdayite perspective! Agree with majority though a tad harsh on Kasper and RDL, as for Vardy his all round play is very good and considering the massive step up he's made he doesn't look out of place.Experience will help him with his decision making and persoally I feel he's either being too unselfish or taking that extra touch when he's done the hard work and got in a great position! Sure NP willl nurture him and get the performances and goals.

I agree that Jamie wlil come good and to be honest mate I'm just gutted that he's not currently playing for 'his' team! I would take him all day long over the likes of O'Grady. Jamie wasn't great yesterday, it was an average performance hence the 5 out of 10, but I agree that he needs time to adjust. I'm sure like you say that Pearson will get the best out of him.

I don't agree about being harsh on RDL and Kasper though but it's all opinions. Fans are too quick to give 9 and 10s in my opinion when in reality they happen maybe once or twice a season at most. 6 is a good score, and as I said above 5 out of 10 is an average performance, RDL was average in my eyes, and Kasper was below par and looked suspect at times despite having little to do. I gave some of ours 3s yesterday! The only player for me that didn't get pass marks for you yesterday was your keeper.

Couldn't disagree more with RDL being average. Going forward he looked our most creative player outside King and Drinkwater (his run to set up hitting the bar was absoluely superb and arguably the most individually creative thing all game) and he made several extremely key tackles and defensive clearances, especially first half. He was definitely our best defender and one of our best attackers IMO.

I agree that Jamie wlil come good and to be honest mate I'm just gutted that he's not currently playing for 'his' team! I would take him all day long over the likes of O'Grady. Jamie wasn't great yesterday, it was an average performance hence the 5 out of 10, but I agree that he needs time to adjust. I'm sure like you say that Pearson will get the best out of him.

I don't agree about being harsh on RDL and Kasper though but it's all opinions. Fans are too quick to give 9 and 10s in my opinion when in reality they happen maybe once or twice a season at most. 6 is a good score, and as I said above 5 out of 10 is an average performance, RDL was average in my eyes, and Kasper was below par and looked suspect at times despite having little to do. I gave some of ours 3s yesterday! The only player for me that didn't get pass marks for you yesterday was your keeper.

I thought RDL dealt well with Antonio to be honest, and he wasn't considered the best defensively when he signed and early on with us.

Kasper is having a spell of games where he's had little to do, for three games now he's made one or two genuine saves in all three. The mix-up with Whitbread was surprising because he usually commands that area.

Exactly my sentiments too mate, opinions is what makes football great and yours were informed, balanced and no bias as they were coming from a Wednesday fan! I always say it's not about being right it's about Roy Walker "say what you see" :chant:

Wouldn't it be just easier not kick the ball away - players know the FA directive - silly booking and meant he had to be careful for the rest of the game

Some people are 100% clueless when it comes to goalkeeping! Apart from the mix up kaspers performance yesterday was faultless. He commanded the area completly came for 5 crossed/throws and dealt with them perfectly. Took all the pressure of the defenders and you could see their appriciation when the ball was up the other end and they were giving kasper the thumbs up and clapping. The games where you have little to do in tearms of action are the hardest because the level of concentration needed. And remember him not having a lot to do is alot down to him and his organization of the players in front of him and you can see they have the utmost confidence in him when he comes and the pass the ball back to him any time and any way confident in the knowledge that he will deal with it. This is the whole point of goalkeeping not all the other stuff people think all keepers can stop shots, its all the other little things that sets good goalkeepers apart and kasper has that in abundance. I urge you all to look at goalkeeping in a different way and not just judge on "action" and shots cause thats the basics most keepers can do.

Kasper 5 - Made a howler, didn't have a shot to save

De Laet - 6 Just okay

Morgan - 8 - Snuffed out all the danger, not that there was much.

Whitbread - 7 Better today, but how will he fare against better opposition? He still looks dodgy to me.

Schlupp - 7 Not quite the link up with Dyer of recent, but made some fantastic runs. Gives ball away in dangerous positions

Marshall - 7 - Lacking any link up nouse with either Vardy or Waghorn, but kept trying and what a goal!

King - 8 Played well with Drinkwater, took responsibilty well.

Drinkwater - 9 - Man of the match by a distance. He was tracking back to collect the ball, and linking up when he could too. He really wanted it today and bossed the game.

Dyer - 6 - He didn't hit the heights of recent, but we can forgive him that.

Vardy - 6 - Took way too many touches when in front of goal. Don't like his body language and lack of chasing one little bit> Nige will sort that out hopefully! I think he'll end up okay, and believe he's more of a natural finisher than Waghorn.

Waghorn - 7 - He tries hard, set up the first and hit bar in second half, though he could have scored with that. I'm not convinced.

Futacs - 5 - No, sorry. Not for me. Had a great chance near the end and fluffed it.

Knockaert - 7 - Fabulous cameo role, trying to get his tall pal in on the act. A real entertainer.

Archived