Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
turkish14

Thoughts on a cup run, after today?

After today's result what better way to get the defeat out the system with a win on Tuesday, followed by a win against premier league opposition on Sunday.

I was against a cup run prior to today but feel this could now be a blessing, assuming we win both cup games, Feel Pearson will play a full strength team.

The concern being that hull will play a further 2 games before our next league game, hopefully they will take minimum points.

What are others thoughts? Could this be exactly what we need? Or a distraction?

(Feel free to delete if this is as crap a post as I think it maybe ;-))

Couldn't give a toss about the cup now, league is far more important.

Hopefully Pearson plays another weak side against Huddersfield in midweek, maybe bring some of the youngsters in on the bench like Panayiotou and Dodoo.

I was thinking that though some of us are rational on foxestalk ( ok a minority) how will the defeat affect the players?

After the last run we did not win in 5? Hence my point about the cup now coming at a good time.

Personally cannot see hull winning all 3.

We've just had 3 poor performances, we need to get out of this rut, not extend it.

If anything, our decision to play a weakened side against Huddersfield has disrupted our flow. Before that game we were playing some sparkling football and had just won 4-0.

Lets get back to playing football properly like we know we can do. All this 'let's concentrate on the league' attitude hasn't worked, winning is a habit, playng well is a habit, and we've made poor performances a habit as of late.

Play a full strength side, lets regain some confidence and use it to build up another run.

We've just had 3 poor performances, we need to get out of this rut, not extend it.

If anything, our decision to play a weakened side against Huddersfield has disrupted our flow. Before that game we were playing some sparkling football and had just won 4-0.

Lets get back to playing football properly like we know we can do. All this 'let's concentrate on the league' attitude hasn't worked, winning is a habit, playng well is a habit, and we've made poor performances a habit as of late.

Play a full strength side, lets regain some confidence and use it to build up another run.

This

This

You've posted exactly want I aimed to type, but in a far more eloquent way ;-)

Why should we play a full strength side in the cup, then if fatigue sets in and ruins our league form then people will be moaning about that.

Midweek is ideal to give our fringe players another go, the league is far more important. I can't see Pearson playing a full strength side in a cup replay mid week game, if he was to play a full strength side he would leave it to the Wigan game if we do get through.

Why should we play a full strength side in the cup, then if fatigue sets in and ruins our league form then people will be moaning about that.

Midweek is ideal to give our fringe players another go, the league is far more important. I can't see Pearson playing a full strength side in a cup replay mid week game, if he was to play a full strength side he would leave it to the Wigan game if we do get through.

Firstly, our fringe players have had a chance and they haven't taken it. In fact they've had numerous chances and let us down. Today is anoher example, King, Vardy and Waghorn have all played a part today and none of them have really proved anything positive.

Secondly this fatigue argument is scientifically rubbish. If our players are fully fit it's beneficial for them to play regularly. It keeps them match fit and mentally tuned in. The game is on Tuesday, we haven't got another until next Tuesday. It's not a problem.

I won't moan at all if Pearson plays his full strength side. I'm fed up of us playing poorly, I miss the Leicester of 4 or 5 games ago. And I'm hoping Pearson and his players think the same, because that's the attitude which will make them successful.

If you want to breed a winning mentality you need to try to win games. I think we risk far more by playing a weaker team and playing badly than we would by going all out to win a game with the right mentality.

Matty James hasn't played in any of those 3 games. Perhaps he makes a bigger difference to us that some fans give him credit for? For me our best side would contain both Wood and James. Both were missing today and we look to have paid the price.

The league should definitely be where our priorities lie for me. So based on that there are two schools of thought for Tuesday:

1. Play a full strength side and try and bring some confidence back, but risk another injury to a key player.

2. Rest key players and just do the best we can without them. But bear in mind if we do lose, it will be a bit like the Burton game, our fans will probably boo us off and create quite a negative atmosphere, which could make it harder for us to overcome in the next league game.

Ideally we would play a weakened side and still win. But something tells me in reality it's not going to be quite that straight forward.

It doesn't sit right with me that we want to be out of the cup to focus on the league. Would you cheer a Huddersfield win on Tuesday? If we win on Tuesday, would you be upset?

Winning breeds confidence, and despite being in 2nd, it's vital that confidence remains cos it will mean a hell of a lot in the long run. If we win on Tuesday, and find ourselves winning on Sunday, think about how much confidence and happiness that'll instil in to the players? I think a cup run is being heavily underestimated and too much focus is being placed on the 'backlog' of fixtures. Yes, it's a cluster of fixtures, but it's nothing that our team should be scared of or won't be prepared for. We have enough players and too much emphasis is being put on us having a 'small squad' which won't be able to cope. I see it differently and am just trying to think positively about a successful cup run actually helping our league form and not distracting us.

you don't get a winning mentality at a club by playing weak sides and going out of cup competitions ! Lets go for it and fund a loan signing with a cup run. Without expecting the owners to fund transfers all the time. I think Nigel will make one more signing now the loan window is open.

Nuge rescued us against Wolves.

We were poor today.

We were poor at Huddersfield and would be out but for a late equaliser.

I want us to win every game.

I have always enjoyed cup success [a child of the 60s]

Success breeds success...

Let's go for it...City for the Cup...and promotion!

Nuge rescued us against Wolves.

We were poor today.

We were poor at Huddersfield and would be out but for a late equaliser.

I want us to win every game.

I have always enjoyed cup success [a child of the 60s]

Success breeds success...

Let's go for it...City for the Cup...and promotion!

What about 1969 when we got to the FA Cup Final and got relegated. Success breeds success?

I certainly don't want to lose on Tuesday, let's go out to a side better than us, which Wigan are, then get on with the league.

Neither Leicester nor Wigan will play their best teams so nothing can be judged from the result.

I hope we lose on Tuesday and then have a free weekend and will be fresher against Charlton the following Tuesday.

Whatever Pearson chooses to do, he will have done wrong by some people. It's a no win situation for him and if I were him i'd just put out the youth team and then concentrate on the league but no doubt that will be the wrong thing to do in most people's eyes.

Archived