Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
suffolk fox

Accident waiting to happen ala Bradford Hillsborough

As more viewpoints of yesterday com forward it is quit clear this was bad management rather than oversold. Yet another example of assume very football fan isa thug.

The most stewards I sa in a group was when t scuffle took place and they all gathered at th front to enable one them to film a se of bodies in the aftermath, clearly shows what is important on their agenda. I imagine it didn't enter their mind that scuffle may have been caused by poor management of available space on the terrace.

As Dave says there was nowt wrong. Previously stewards have closed entrances and made you fill in via a different entrance. Yesterday they just organised it badly. They allowed people to stand in the 'aisle' when previously if so much as your shoe lace touched the yellow hashed area they'd ask you to move.

The stand is appalling. The single toilet has space for about 12 people standing and there is one wc, this to accommodate about 3500 male supporters. The only improvement from previous years is that you weren't actually standing in urine. The acess points to the stand are narrow and dangerous. Some years ago I read a book on football grounds by Simon Inglis who described the wooden seats a day rubbish between them at Bradford akin to being quaint. We all know what happened then. I would support any campaign to get this stand razed to the ground.

Actually I was crushed yesterday when we scored, the guy behind turned his back to me to hug his mate or something and I was pushed into the rail in front I managed to break out when others moved slightly. I'm in more pain this morning. Sure no one would've died but this should have been better managed!

Actually I was crushed yesterday when we scored, the guy behind turned his back to me to hug his mate or something and I was pushed into the rail in front I managed to break out when others moved slightly. I'm in more pain this morning. Sure no one would've died but this should have been better managed!

That's what will happen in terraces? I was moved forward abit when we scored but that's what'll happen when we score and in terraces. Don't like it, go in seating.

I didn't see any problems, the only real danger was of people falling over which is always the case at any game I go to. I didn't think a crush was really possible, there weren't enough people in there for that to happen, although the terrace probably wasn't a good place for young children or the elderly to be. Any teenager of adult would have been fine and might have got a bruised knee if they were unlucky.

To be honest, I have to agree with this. I have to ask what sensible parent would take a young child into a terrace like that.

That's not excusing Peterborough/the stewards though. Careless organisation was one of the main reasons for Hillsborough. I'm not saying someone could have died yesterday, but the fact that certain groups of people haven't learnt their lesson is unacceptable.

I'm glad you enjoyed it but for people who couldnt get in, in the first half half. It was really pissing people off. They re was no room left and they were trying to get more people on. Im up for standing but not that. Im not gonna risk getting hurt to stand up. Im glad no one was seriously hurt yesterday.

A bit of perspective might be in order. Had it gotten to genuinely life-endangering levels yesterday; fans would have ended up on the running track and pitch, a luxury that wasn't available at Hillsborough.

You have hit the nail on the head, the OP is massively overreacting, no one would be crushed in as there were no fences and as for saying it could be like Bradford, what an absolute tool.

The last time I checked concrete and steel wasn't highly flammable, no wooden fittings anywhere within the stand.

So how will a smoke bomb burn the stand down?

There was space in either corner but I suppose it is easier to moan afterwards about it, if we'd won I doubt we'd have two threads on the safety of it. Everyone knew it would be busy, go prepared and enjoy what is a rare experience in football now.

All standing on a terrace.

I'm glad you enjoyed it but for people who couldnt get in, in the first half half. It was really pissing people off. They re was no room left and they were trying to get more people on. Im up for standing but not that. Im not gonna risk getting hurt to stand up. Im glad no one was seriously hurt yesterday.

So at some point they did realise the primary objective was to organise the fans safely and evenly on the terrace rather than it being detecting all the the amongst u in ten on causing a riot. Shame they didn't do this from the start.

I'm more angry that i missed the first half hour. When we got in, it was fine and never felt like i was in any danger. The atmosphere was real and loud. I'm up for standing but i feel the stewards yesterday flapped and had no idea and they were the ones who would have caused a panic. They re idea just push forwards. Every entry was packed and thats where the danger could of happened. They over sold it pure and simple.

I'm more angry that i missed the first half hour. When we got in, it was fine and never felt like i was in any danger. The atmosphere was real and loud. I'm up for standing but i feel the stewards yesterday flapped and had no idea and they were the ones who would have caused a panic. They re idea just push forwards. Every entry was packed and thats where the danger could of happened. They over sold it pure and simple.

They mismanaged it pure and simple.

Well if you dont like stuff like that with the fans celebrating like that easily go in seating

You're totally missing the point lol. There were too many people in the stand yesterday. If safe standing is managed correctly, then people will feel safe obviously. Yesterday wasn't handled correctly by Peterborough - over selling and telling people to move to get more fans in.

You're just being very, very naive about it all and approaching the problem wrongly.

I'm posting this in both threads on over crowding.

Me and a friend were turned away from the turnstile because we had 'reissued tickets.' Our tickets would not scan and we were told by the attendant at the turnstile that someone had used them and passed them back to us. This isn't true as I had bought them from the LCFC ticket office. After debating the issue with the stewards we were told that this has happened a lot today. We were then told to go to the ticket office. Eventually the ticket office 'reset' the tickets. We then went back to the steward who let us in through the front and onto what is considerded the 'playing area' as the game kicked off! We walked a few yards along the stand before climbing in. This leads to the following questions - were there a number of duplicate tickets accidently issued thus increasing the amount sold? Thus were there actually more people then the stand is limited to?

I'm posting this in both threads on over crowding.

Me and a friend were turned away from the turnstile because we had 'reissued tickets.' Our tickets would not scan and we were told by the attendant at the turnstile that someone had used them and passed them back to us. This isn't true as I had bought them from the LCFC ticket office. After debating the issue with the stewards we were told that this has happened a lot today. We were then told to go to the ticket office. Eventually the ticket office 'reset' the tickets. We then went back to the steward who let us in through the front and onto what is considerded the 'playing area' as the game kicked off! We walked a few yards along the stand before climbing in. This leads to the following questions - were there a number of duplicate tickets accidently issued thus increasing the amount sold? Thus were there actually more people then the stand is limited to?

No, the barcode scanning has only been introduced a couple of weeks ago as Posh attempt to drag themselves into the 21st century. Quite a few home fans have experienced the same problems at previous games. I guess you just got unlucky.

As fun and as much of a good atmosphere it was, it was absolutely rammed and I'm surprised no-one got hurt. I'm fairly young and fit so could handle all the pushing and mental celebrations from the goal, as would most teens/adults, but any children, older fans, women could've easily got shoved into something... in the first half, we had a family of 2 children (must've been about 9/10) in front of us, was actually thinking what would happen if we scored cos no doubt we would've got pushed in the back straight into them and they would've gone into the barrier thing... Luckily, moved away 2nd half by the time we scored, but younger children could've easily got injured.

In terms of atmosphere, it was brilliant... in terms of safety, don't think that end should hold 5000 at all.

The stewards clearly do need to find a way to encourage people to head over to the right-hand side. I've escaped this "brush with death" twice by simply standing where there's not a population density to rival Hong Kong's. Clearly though if people were struggling to even get into the ground, Posh stewards need to figure out the appropriate entrances to let people in through at certain levels of capacity, even if it means forming a wall to stop people going through that far entrance.

Archived