Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Martin O'Neill Come on Down.

Isn't Alan Young a friend of MON's? Couldn't he put a good word in for us. I know MON is probably worried about losing his reputation but trust me he wouldn't, what ever he would do if he returned he wouldn't be forgotten for taking Leicester back to the premier league, lifting the league cup twice and getting leicester into europe.

But! he's still got unfinished business I believe and this time round we've got good owners, a big stadium & probably more money.

Isn't Alan Young a friend of MON's? Couldn't he put a good word in for us. I know MON is probably worried about losing his reputation but trust me he wouldn't, what ever he would do if he returned he wouldn't be forgotten for taking Leicester back to the premier league, lifting the league cup twice and getting leicester into europe.

But! he's still got unfinished business I believe and this time round we've got good owners, a big stadium & probably more money.

I doubt if MO'N is that worried about his reputation amongst Leicester fans.

I also don't think that the money likely to be on offer should be sniffed at.

Everyone said that about NP.

Not saying NP should be sacked, but this forum has gone backwards in 12 months.

I think Pearson has shown that going back rarely works, usually because everything has changed, and all the ducks need to be in a row to get things cooking.

We need a new face, not another trip down memory lane.

I think Pearson has shown that going back rarely works, usually because everything has changed, and all the ducks need to be in a row to get things cooking.

We need a new face, not another trip down memory lane.

Wouldn't mind a trip down mammary lane though.

We are crying out for someone with MON's qualities. A club like Leicester should never be in a position to turn down a man comfortably one of the top 10 in the country.

Based on his post-Leicester career what qualities are these? Turning down Radamel Falcao for 7 million because you've already got Heskey? Resigning the day before the season starts leaving your club high and dry? Leading a squad packed full of Prem players solemnly towards the Championship?

As MON would have to accept LCFC are now a different prospect to the one he took over in '96, so we must accept that he is a different manager now. His Sunderland tenure rings so many alarm bells.

I love the guy to bits and he is far and away the greatest manager we have had during my lifetime, but nothing good can come of him coming back in my opinion.

Second comings have been known to work. Pulis is the obvious example that everyone trots out, but Ron Atkinson also had a brief but fairly successful second stint with Sheffield Wednesday and overseas there's Trapattoni with Bayern.

Normally second comings, as has been pointed out, don't work out because the manager is too old second time around, he hasn't kept up with changes in the game and the circumstances are different to what they were the first time. I'm honestly not convinced this is the case with O'Neill; though I'd like to see a bit more of the old enthusiasm from him were he to come back. I think at 61 age shouldn't yet be a barrier; he's an intelligent man who had done a good job with pretty much every team he took charge of up until last summer. As for our circumstances, well they're not all that dissimilar to those of 1995: High expectations, respectable resources, a team that had become too predictable after an over-dependence on elaborate passing football, the need for promotion as soon as possible...

As a rule, second spells which don't work out can be predicted if you blot out the manager's first spell at the club from his managerial record. Pearson's unspectacular performance this time hasn't been out of synch with what he did at Hull, or even Carlisle and Southampton. Dalglish's up-and-down second spell with Liverpool could have been foreseen if he'd been judged only on the massively contrasting fortunes of Blackburn and Newcastle under his guidance. The argument that a special set of circumstances dictate who the man for the job is is right; but the better the manager, the more likely he is to experience success at most clubs he goes to.

Second comings have been known to work. Pulis is the obvious example that everyone trots out, but Ron Atkinson also had a brief but fairly successful second stint with Sheffield Wednesday and overseas there's Trapattoni with Bayern.

Normally second comings, as has been pointed out, don't work out because the manager is too old second time around, he hasn't kept up with changes in the game and the circumstances are different to what they were the first time. I'm honestly not convinced this is the case with O'Neill; though I'd like to see a bit more of the old enthusiasm from him were he to come back. I think at 61 age shouldn't yet be a barrier; he's an intelligent man who had done a good job with pretty much every team he took charge of up until last summer. As for our circumstances, well they're not all that dissimilar to those of 1995: High expectations, respectable resources, a team that had become too predictable after an over-dependence on elaborate passing football, the need for promotion as soon as possible...

As a rule, second spells which don't work out can be predicted if you blot out the manager's first spell at the club from his managerial record. Pearson's unspectacular performance this time hasn't been out of synch with what he did at Hull, or even Carlisle and Southampton. Dalglish's up-and-down second spell with Liverpool could have been foreseen if he'd been judged only on the massively contrasting fortunes of Blackburn and Newcastle under his guidance. The argument that a special set of circumstances dictate who the man for the job is is right; but the better the manager, the more likely he is to experience success at most clubs he goes to.

There's also Jupp Heynckes. He's currently in his THIRD spell as Bayern manager.

i want him back but if he fails he wont be seen as the o'neil we all love and worship....

To not want the best candidate for the job simply because we're scared he'll scar his legendary status seems just a bit cowardly.

If he's not the best candidate, then that's a different matter.

To not want the best candidate for the job simply because we're scared he'll scar his legendary status seems just a bit cowardly.

If he's not the best candidate, then that's a different matter.

the best candidate is one Mr Nigel Pearson!

MON is a manager who gets the best out of players... Much like Fergie, Moyes and Mourinho. The sign of a top manager, he should never have gone to Sunderland especially without Robertson. Everywhere else he over achieved. If we can get him in I would take him in a heartbeat, however if we can't I would want to keep Pearson... Who would be the alternative?

Archived