Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Martin O'Neill Come on Down.

Does the saying never go back mean we shouldn't bother? only have to look at bringing back NP to know it is a disaster and other second returns however there are also some examples of it working i.e Tony Pulis at Stoke etc.However if you judge there managerial credentials MON has managed in both the prem and championship (albeit a long time ago) successfully so seems like the perfect fit for the owners ambitions whether he would be a success again here, who knows but I would give him the chance because he knows the game inside out and is a motivator whether John Robertson had an input on that remains to be seen.

Exactly, Happy Fox, we shouldn't bother simply because a) MON doesn't do it and b) the experience we had with NP. I guess there will also be some living in the halcyon days of that era but it's gone and this Club needs to go forward.

Let's wait until next week-end and give Nigel his last chance but Martin would relish managing this bunch of players and has the know how to see us playing and staying in the Premership for a decade. Nigel if you read this board where the .... is Drinkwater ?

I wouldn't be getting your hopes up. Whilst I'd be shocked if the owners hadn't had him sounded out I don't think we're the most natural fit for him given that the Stoke job is likely to be available once the season is over. Pulis is getting a lot of stick from their fans (who should be very careful what they wish for) and comes across as fed up with it all. Stoke and O'Neill would be a good fit.

Did anyone watch Fantasy Football yesterday with Emile Heskey? Was asked which manager was the best tactician he has ever played for? Answer Sven Goran Eriksson said Martin O Neill would tell him just to run with the ball lol Would love Martin O Neill to return and even if we didn't achieve promotion under him that would be ok with me, can't see it myself if there ever was a chance or opportunity for it to have happened I think it would have happened either the last 2 times we have been looking for a manager

So the glass ceiling fans don't want Pearson removed because there is "no alternative." Then one of the top half dozen managers in the country becomes available, not only that but a Leicester legend.. And the new excuse is that O'Neill is finished or shouldn't tarnish his reputation. God help me....we do have some muppet fans in our midst!

I'm sure I read somewhere that Robertson still lives in the East Midlands, hence his reluctance to join O'Neill at Sunderland.

You'd hope there'd be a chance of him rejoining O'Neill if that were the case.

I'm sure I read somewhere that Robertson still lives in the East Midlands, hence his reluctance to join O'Neill at Sunderland.

You'd hope there'd be a chance of him rejoining O'Neill if that were the case.

I've heard that he's fallen out of love with the modern game and modern footballers.

Did anyone watch Fantasy Football yesterday with Emile Heskey? Was asked which manager was the best tactician he has ever played for? Answer Sven Goran Eriksson said Martin O Neill would tell him just to run with the ball lol Would love Martin O Neill to return and even if we didn't achieve promotion under him that would be ok with me, can't see it myself if there ever was a chance or opportunity for it to have happened I think it would have happened either the last 2 times we have been looking for a manager

O'Neill had it right with Heskey. He was such an explosive force with us and during his early days with Liverpool. Then he was overcoached and became something else entirely. It made him a more effective component of a team but did him no favours as an individual talent. That said, I'm sure he's happy enough with his multiple England caps and top flight appearances.

Id rather we go for a younger, hungrier manager who will get us playing a bit of football. Rosler, Solskjaer, Powell, Steve Davis, Fergie Jnr.

Whilst I wouldn't be turning O'Neill down people do need to accept that we'd see plenty of hoofball, albeit purposeful hoofball, under him if he was to return. I too would like to see somebody getting us playing football.

I take the cynical view that newspapers are there to sell what you want to read to you, there doesn't have to be too much truth in the content. For me MON was the best manager we had and he might return if he thought he could achive something, but I don't trust the papers to get it right.

Paul Lambert is suggesting that MON could return to management very soon. Does he know something? Plus MON is linked up to the stoke job according to some newspapers.

I'd hate to see o'neill go to stoke.

I'd hate to see o'neill go to stoke.

It wouldn't surprise me, but I think it would be another poor decision on O'Neill's part. They'll finish between 9th and 16th once again this season, so if they were to respond to that by firing the manager who had won them promotion, taken them to a Cup Final and kept them in a mid-table position for five years then I'm not sure they would be such a hugely attractive prospect for a manager who had struggled just above the relegation zone with Sunderland.

On top of that, would he really expect to improve on Pulis' achievements? If Stoke are on the decline, then a 17th place finish next season might actually be a good return. I think it will be a very hard club to take forward in a demonstrable way.

And then there's the perspective of the Stoke board: They will be looking at O'Neill's recent record in the transfer market, and his struggles with Sunderland. I could imagine that the likes of Poyet, Zola, Di Matteo, Martinez, Redknapp and Benitez would also be on their list if (and it's still a huge 'if') they fire him, or he walks.

I think it is but the owners will need to move quickly because if Pulis walks then Stoke is a great fit for O'Neill and, given the opportunity, he'd pick a to flight club over us any day of the week.

Archived