Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ian W LCFC

Positions To Strengthen...

I think we just need more options to add what we've already got. I think we need:

Today (as much as it pains me to say) I'd rather have had Wellens come on than DD as he would have slowed the game down when Watford were all over us. Having an older head (who's legs haven't gone) in the middle who can do that in tough games next season, and put a tackle in, for me is vital, and allow king and james to play their game.

A centre-back who is positionally sound.

We need players out wide who can run at players and cross a ball. Keep marshall and lloyd and add one or two quick players.

Add a new left back as konch is past it and schlupp is not a fullback.

A pacy striker who can finish (who doesn't need one though) to add to wood and nuge.

We have the makings of a good squad if we can shift some of the deadwood and add 4-5 players who offer a plan b, as this has ultimately cost us over the season (IMO). FFP will obviously impact us, but if we can get rid of 4-5 of the high-earners (we all know who) then we should be able to fill out the squad.

As of this moment we need a new Left back to replace the declining Koncheskey and a new EXPERIENCED center mid. King has been very good the last few games primarily cos he discarded his invisibility cloak and spent time on the ball but he still goes missing to often over a season. Drinkwater is just shite and should become 4th choice.

However as from tomorrow... Keane will be gone so a new CB needed to replace him. Morgan is the best CB in the division, someone may well try to poach him so possibly another CB. I expect one of SSL or Whitbread will go too so another CB there. Kasper may well be off so a Goalie. Danns may go so an attacking midfielder needed (we do NOT need a winger as they are only truly used in a 442 and if we go with that again next season we will get the same result!).  Upfront Kane is gone (thank God) Beckford looks to be on his way out and surely at least one if not two of Vardy, Waghorn and Futacs will be gone, That's at least two strikers needed in.  Id love to see Gallagher and Wellens kicked out and replaced but think they will stick to us like dogs*** to a shoe. 

I would expect anything between 6 and 9 players being needed this summer which kind of blows out the whole theory that a new manager would rip up the squad and sign too many new players. Its gonna happen regardless.

Must haves....LB,CH,CM to partner James as much as i like King we can do a lot better,strikers two possibly ...don't rate Woods,Nugent is hit and miss...the rest Waghorn and Vardy...would like see similar type players but better.

At the end of the day we have a good but thin on the ground squad, 5 to 6 players in should do the trick.

Don't financial fair play rules come in to play from next season? That will really be a hindrance for us when it comes to revamping the team.

I feel like we need a new ;

Left back - If Palace Don't go up, Parr?

Centre Back - Keane (If possible) + 1 more for back up with SSL going out.

Centre Mid - Back up for James, King and DD. Someone with experience of this league (Similar type player to Aron Gunnarsson)

Left Wing - To Replace Dyer. LuaLua?

Striker - Get rid of Futacs and Vardy on loan/perm. A proper striker who gets into positions that our strikers don't.

Goalkeeper - Doesn't need to be touched unless Schmeichel leaves. Think there is a serious possibility of this. Hopefully Logan is happy to play second fiddle again.

Right Back - De Laet is more than capable. With Moore around, then this area is fine.

Centre Back - Need a partner for Morgan. And then a solid back up. Young Sesay in the reserve squad has potential to step up to be the 4th.

Left Back - Definete improvement needed. 2x. Starter and cover.

Right Mid/Wing - Knockeart should make this position his own next year, with Marshall still around (hopefully having found some confidence again), then this area is fine.

Centre Midfield - James will step up and be #1. Need another mobile ball winning centre midfielder to start. King & Drinkwater will add competition and flexibility for formation.

Left Wing - Another area needing investment. Dyer is not good enough. A good back up option, but not a starting option.

Strikers - Nugent must be kept. Wood will hopefully get fit, and with Schlupp then there's a decent basis. Would like another QUALITY striker to join. Others aren't up to scratch,

So this means I would keep;

Schmeichel, Logan, De Laet, Moore, Morgan, Knockeart, Marshall, James, King, Drinkwater, Dyer, Nugent, Wood, Schlupp and step up Sesay.

I would look to move on

St Ledger, Whitbread, Konchesky, Wellens, Gallagher, Vardy, Waghorn, Futacs

Moving on these players, should give us enough budget to bring in;

2x CB

2X LB

1XCM

1XLM

1XCF

Get Danns back in the squad and we have a top midfield. 

A new left back, a new right back- as for me De Laet isn't all that. A new centre half to partner Morgan for when SSL isn't fit.

I think Wood can come good again, and I rate Nugent, but I think we just lack one more good striker. Players like Deeney/Vydra from today would fit the bill perfectly.

Other than that the main aim is to hold onto what we have really, which is going to be very difficult. 

Centre back - need a big strong bloke who can dominate his area to partner Wes. Hopefully Curtis Davies from Birmingham.

Left back - someone relatively young with pace and solid in defence, Parr from Palace or maybe Aaron Creswell from Ipswich.

Centre Midfield - someone who can win the ball and give it to the wide players - ie Nicky Bailey

Left Wing - someone with genuine pace who can beat their opponents and add a genuine goal threat. (Sako, Adamoah, Stanislas, McCleary etc)

Striker - need a big fast guy who can actually threaten opponents(unlike the donkey Chris Wood) - for example Sylvian Ebanks-Blake.

An alternative would be a small nippy striker who can get in behind, Baldock, le fondre

Also Centre midfielder who can actually create an opportunity, once 60 minutes is up Dyer and Knockaert are knackered and do nothing, hopefully someone like Tomlin

I'd not say the squad needs re-building as such, we've a decent spine that needs peppering with a few quality additions. We've lacked a genuine, top-class partner at centre half for Wes in the second half of this season. Michael Keane is a fantastic prospect and will doubtless play for United at some stage in his career, but there have been times where his inexperience has told. This isn't his fault obviously, merely the result of being a rough diamond that's learning his trade and still growing both mentally and physically.  

Whitbread arrived with rave reviews from Norwich fans, and my over-riding memory of him before we signed him was his absolutely goliath performance for MIllwall at our place in our League One season. He's never quite looked fully fit, but there must be a reason he arrived with such positive reports? I'd be keen to see what he can do with a proper pre-season behind him - on paper a centre half pairing of him and Morgan sounds incredibly strong. We need another aerial presence at centre-back, because our marking from set-pieces during this horrific run has been nothing short of petrifying, and I think Whitbread could be that man. Shoot me. I'd still like another CB brought in though, especially if SSL exits the club, which wouldn't sadden me.

Liam Moore never looked too bad at centre-half, either. One in, one out at the back and we're laughing. Needs to be quality though - I'll be forever gutted we missed out on Craig Dawson from WBA for this run-in, he's the absolute nads.

We need a new left-back, a position that's been exposed as a real pitfall this season, Konch has looked a shadow of the reliable performer he was last term, and Schlupp, well - I rate the lad and think he offers plenty to the side, as a striker. 

Another CM, preferably one with a defensive mindset that let's King do his business in a more attacking sense without having to work himself into the ground with defensive work, likewise James - the pair of which will be fantastic for us next season should we keep hold of them. A real source of positivity going into next season.

We desperately need another striker to take the pressure off the current one's when they have their blips. Desperately. And again, I await shooting down vociferously for even suggesting this - but, if we can get him fit after a horror season injury-wise, could we tempt Fryatt back? As said, I'm anticipating a frosty response to the suggestion but we've missed someone of his ilk this season, in my opinion. Dwight Gayle, Leigh Griffiths, there's enough steady strikers out there. 

We need another centre forward for sure. The Watford front men looked far more of a threat and we really had to graft to make chances.

We need some more experience at the back to partner big Wes. St Ledger is too expensive and not good enough, Whitbread is a liability and young Keane is still developing and will make mistakes.

We need a bone crunching central midfielder to partner King or James

We need another wide man to add competition for Dyer/Knockaert/Marshall

We need a new left back replacement for Konchesky

i dont think we are far off tbh  i would probably go for the following positions 

lb     schlupp just cant play there and konch is old and slow  replacement  ---aidan white    leeds united

cb    keane back to man utd  replacement  take a punt on roger johnson from wolves

lm   dyer is ok but lacks a little something   replacement     sako    from wolves  

st    sorry but wood just isnt good enough for me  replacement  replacement   ebanks blake from wolves    

i dont think we are far off tbh  i would probably go for the following positions 

lb     schlupp just cant play there and konch is old and slow  replacement  ---aidan white    leeds united

cb    keane back to man utd  replacement  take a punt on roger johnson from wolves

lm   dyer is ok but lacks a little something   replacement     sako    from wolves  

st    sorry but wood just isnt good enough for me  replacement  replacement   ebanks blake from wolves    

Wolves went down. Doesn't that tell you something??

Wolves went down. Doesn't that tell you something??

yes it tells me that there chairman was a fool to bring in a swede who knew nothing about any players and the championship infact he really was pants.

then it tells me that he got rid of him after the transfer window and bought in a new bloke who couldnt buy anyone. 

and then i am told any team with stearman in is crap 

ebanks blake didnt play most of season through injury and sakho was one of their best players roger johnson could go either way ...

yes it tells me that there chairman was a fool to bring in a swede who knew nothing about any players and the championship infact he really was pants.

then it tells me that he got rid of him after the transfer window and bought in a new bloke who couldnt buy anyone. 

and then i am told any team with stearman in is crap 

ebanks blake didnt play most of season through injury and sakho was one of their best players roger johnson could go either way ...

I'd take Sako for sure. He's the only one though

Archived