Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Kitchandro

The Penalty

I know it makes no difference now, but I have to get these things off my chest regarding the penalty, so I can bloody forget about this season.

A lot of people said they were surprised and terrified when they saw Knockaert, and not Nugent, putting himself forward to take it - I'm not quite sure why.

1. Knockaert may be a young lad, but I think we're all aware of the confidence he has in his own ability. He has always struck me as the kind of player who would want to take a penalty in such a situation. This, for me, is the most important thing. The man taking a pressure kick has to want to take it. If they don't fancy it, it's probably not going to work out. Some may say it was him trying to claim the glory, or you could put in another way and say he is the kind of player who wants responsibility and is willing to put himself on the line to make something happen. It was a brave decision, and it didn't work.

2. Contrast this with Nugent. Experienced he may be, but unless I'm mistaken, his penalty against Huddersfield was the only one he's ever taken in his career. Does being a striker make him more qualified to take a penalty when he really doesn't like taking them? Not for me. Earlier in the season it was he who was admitting being scared about being second in the league, and he is one of the players who has bottled it since January. He obviously wanted no part in taking the penalty, he's a different character to Knocky. Why do people think he would have fared any better than Knockers with that attitude?

3. We have not had many penalties this season. If I remember rightly, we've had 5. Nugent took one against Huddersfield and scored it. Wood who was off the pitch took 2, missing one and scoring the other. There was todays. And there was Marshall who scored against Blackpool. Now, Pearson only used 2 substitutes today. Would Marshall have been the right man? He has been out of form and has had a lack of game time, but is certainly keen on taking set pieces. I will always wonder why we didn't make a 3rd substitution, and what might have happened had we done so.

4. But the bottom line is, because we have had so few penalties we do not have a regular penalty taker. In fact, how many penalties have been taken in the combined careers of the players in today's squad? I'd be surprised if it was more than 10-15. There was no obvious taker on the pitch. People suggested King and James, neither of whom have taken a penalty this season either, King certainly hasn't ever taken one for us. But why was this eventuality not discussed before hand? Why was it left to a moments decision on who would take it? For me, this is a lack of proper preparation. After all, you'd assume they had practised penalties in training this week.

5. We all know that the most proven penalty taker in the full squad is Paul Gallagher. So I ask; why was he not included in the squad for the likelihood of penalties being an important factor? If it had gone to a shootout I'd definitely have wanted him as one of the 5. It's not as if many players have nailed their place in the squad with recent performances anyway.

So I think things could have been done differently, but by the time Knockaert won the penalty, I did not think there was anyone else on the pitch who should have taken it. It didn't work out, in hindsight somebody else should have took it, but to be honest, at the time, there was no one else I would have wanted to take it more. Knockaert is a set piece taker with a swagger and confidence in his own ability. He wanted to take it. 

I'm still much more concerned by the fact that not one of them, or one of our members of staff thought "what if he misses and they get the ball? Surely we're going to need to have some people in proper positions in case they break away." 

Knocky won the pen. Scored last week. High on confidence. Above all else he WANTED TO TAKE IT. If someone took it off him and missed we'd be going mad now, and probably rightly. 

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Many on here seem to think it makes them football geniuses. It doesn't. 

We are just one very ****ing unlucky football club. 

I wouldn't have chosen anyone else to take it. If someone else had taken it and missed, people would have been like "why didn't Knockaert take it?". Of course, everyone here seems to have 10/10 hindsight.

It wasn't as if it was the worlds worst penalty. Ok, it wasn't great, but it was on target at least. It was a good save.

Guest ttfn

Possibly a £60m missed penalty, Kane looked like he wanted it but who knows, was knocky the no1 penalty taker?

If Kane had taken it and missed this place would have imploded.

I turned to my son and said it was a bad call. Why ? Look at his chest before he hits it on the close-ups. It's heaving. He had the run that created it - I think he was still recovering. Just got this thing that peno-takers are better cool and calm. He was still catching oxygen.

I thought at the time that Pearson might have made his 3rd and final change to bring Marshall or Konchesky on to take the penalty.

I didn't feel confident when I saw knockaert put the ball down, but anyone who has been involved with important penalties knows it always comes down to someone who wants to take one. There would have been know point in telling Nuge to take one as he doesn't like them.

But like ScouseFox said why weren't we professional enough to have people back incase we missed it.

Agreed.

Don't get the clamour for Nugent to have taken it. He had his head in his hands before the penalty was even struck. Why Gallagher wasn't on the bench is the biggest question for me, surely he could have come on and put it away but instead we had the likes of Vardy sat there, what was the point?

I turned to my son and said it was a bad call. Why ? Look at his chest before he hits it on the close-ups. It's heaving. He had the run that created it - I think he was still recovering. Just got this thing that peno-takers are better cool and calm. He was still catching oxygen.

You might be right, but turned to my lad and said that he looked nervous just before. Bit of both maybe? However, with lack of Wood, absence of set piece players (I would have had Gally there for sure) and the RIGHT of Knocky being the involved, can't complain.  Really don't want Knocky to get the Kermogant treatment - it wasn't deserved then and surely not now.

Guest parky0607

If Kane had taken it and missed this place would have imploded.

Could you imagine if Gallagher had missed...

Guest ttfn

Fair play to Almunia, by the way, it wasn't a great penalty but it still needed saving.

Saved a big one against Riquelme in a Champions League Semi if memory serves. At least I think it was him but now I'm starting to think it was Lehmann...

Archived