Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Kitchandro

The Penalty

Senior players should have stopped him from taking it. They didn't because they are a bunch of pussies.

Either King or Nugent should have taken it.

King is the best finisher in the squad and I've often thought he'd be good in that situation. But the fact is he has never put himself forward to take one, for whatever reason. Not even in the penalty shootout against Cardiff, never understood why.

Karma,  if Knockaert hadnt cheated to get the penalty when there was hardly any contact maybe Watford  wouldnt off scored from it and on to extra time and poss pens

You reep what you sow mr Knockaert

Up the port

Or reap even.

Like Kermo's, I will never, ever watch the penalty again. I've got in replaying in my head anyhow, but all the money in the world couldn't make me go through that once more.

I've just watched it again and it's more painful than when I watched it live. Still absolutely devastated.

I turned to my son and said it was a bad call. Why ? Look at his chest before he hits it on the close-ups. It's heaving. He had the run that created it - I think he was still recovering. Just got this thing that peno-takers are better cool and calm. He was still catching oxygen.

Absolutely spot on Trent.

I saw (and thought) exactly the same thing.

One of the senior members if the squad (Morgan anyone? Captain....) should have taken the fookin ball off him and given it to Nugent or King.

I don't think Knocky gave anyone the time to be able to discuss who 'wanted' to take it. He should have been told to calm down and back off.

As I said yesterday, poor captaincy, poor management.

Absolutely spot on Trent.

I saw (and thought) exactly the same thing.

One of the senior members if the squad (Morgan anyone? Captain....) should have taken the fookin ball off him and given it to Nugent or King.

I don't think Knocky gave anyone the time to be able to discuss who 'wanted' to take it. He should have been told to calm down and back off.

As I said yesterday, poor captaincy, poor management.

Why? Nugent has taken one penalty for us (and in his whole career) and King has never taken a penalty in a senior game.

Why would they be any more appropriate than Knockaert? If if was Gallagher then I'd understand the confusion, but we had no genuine penalty taker on the pitch.

Why would they be any more appropriate than Knockaert? If if was Gallagher then I'd understand the confusion, but we had no genuine penalty taker on the pitch.

Maybe because of his age and inexperience ? Lets face it the whole thing was a shambles, everyone ready to celibrate the "goal", no cover against the best counter attacking team in the league, Knockaert still blowing hard or about to have an anxiety attack. Could we have handled it any worse ?

Maybe because of his age and inexperience ? Lets face it the whole thing was a shambles, everyone ready to celibrate the "goal", no cover against the best counter attacking team in the league, Knockaert still blowing hard or about to have an anxiety attack. Could we have handled it any worse ?

That still amazes me, when watching the replay.

Konckaert must have been confident taking it.

I am still amazed how he failed to score the rebound with Almunia near enough still on the ground.

Also worried how we didn't have enough cover at the back... When the winger was running with it, I still think either Schlupp or King should have made a tackle. It still looks like he showed the ball just a little.

Why? Nugent has taken one penalty for us (and in his whole career) and King has never taken a penalty in a senior game.

Because Knocky was knackered and blowing like a fookin Whale. He'd won the penalty and his head was likely all over the place.

The captain should have calmed him down, spoken with the manager and considered who the right player would be to take the penalty. Personally, if have gone King or Nugent.

NOT just let Knocky get up and rush his kick.

That was a very very very expensive error.

THIS!

And the answer to your question is no, we couldn't.

Very very poor captaincy and management.

These things matter...

I think if it had been a decent penalty and a good save I wouldn't be filled with so much regret.

It's such a shame because he's so technically capable, he just did not do himself justice at all.

I don't like lingering on it but I just can't help it, what a waste.

I'm still not sure quite what to make of that whole minute yesterday, so much was going through my mind, being amazed that we had created an opening so late when I was sure Watford would nick it, being in disbelief that we'd won a penalty, feeling disappointed in the back of my mind that it was a dive, hoping he wouldn't chip it, believing he was going to hit it with convinction just before he took it, my dad's reaction (he was more animated than me) and then it all happened so quickly.

I don't feel devastated this morning, just confused. I'm struggling to come to terms with it.

Archived