Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Is the City of Leicester a dump?

I live in Corby which is tiny in size and must seem really pretty crap overall but when you have lived here and have friends that have llived here there whole lives its not all that bad.

If i ever want to go further afield to shop or on a night out I'm stuck between Northampton, Leicester and Peterborough.

I can't stand Peterborough its awful for both shopping and nightlife but its something more than that i just hate the place.

Northampton is terrible for shopping but the nightlife isn't terrible i can stomach it once in a while.

Which leaves Leicester, I think the shopping is brilliant it has really good nightlife ive seen bands at the De Monfort and there are some nice bars and it also happens to be the home of my football team.

The only nice bit of Leicester is the Highcross - just look at this new square, nice idea but its in the wrong place - just look at the building around it, it's a disgusting place to sit, and has caused traffic chaos over the past few months.

The city is full of tramps, drunks, JK show back-up families, chavs and religious preachers screaming into microphones and rattling their tambourines - not the mention the fvcking brummie charity workers who harass you for cash every 20 yards all the time.

And what they have done to humberstone gate since removing the big screen I'll never understand. It looks absolutely awful, it's like they didn't pay the builders so they took the piss.

The best thing I've done is move away from the doss pit and will only return for city games.

I'm talking about the whole of the county, not just the city centre as that is generally a dump.

And to the chump who claims I have a poor imagination, I couldn't care less.

Just out of interest as I don't live there anymore, but everyone says things along the lines of "not Yates and Walkabout......etc" and yes I agree but what bars would you recommend?

As Unabomber said (given we're on the payroll) Taps is boss, Rutland and Derby is class, St Martin's Coffee is a great gaff that does beer, Queen of Bradgate is top drawer nowadays, The Orange Tree is always great, the Pub has a brilliant selection of stuff to try...

EDIT to say there's the Lansdowne, the Parcel Yard, The Salmon....

Edited by Miquel The Work Geordie

As Unabomber said (given we're on the payroll) Taps is boss, Rutland and Derby is class, St Martin's Coffee is a great gaff that does beer, Queen of Bradgate is top drawer nowadays, The Orange Tree is always great, the Pub has a brilliant selection of stuff to try...

EDIT to say there's the Lansdowne, the Parcel Yard, The Salmon....

Kings Head is good. don't go in the Landsdowme much. The Parcel Yard is expensive but you can get a discount card. The Pub has a card too. 10 stamps and the next one is free.Went in the one in the Highcross the other Sunday and come straight back out. The only beer that they seemed to have was Red stripe.

Same sort of gimmick mate but a proper nice place regardless

**quick Google says they might be linked, yeah

yeah seems the same kinda thing with the same name. doesn't seem like a chain kinda place though. never been the one in leicester but the one in manc is decent, just proper expensive. barely ever pay above 3 quid for a pint in most bars an pubs round here, nearly spat at the bird was she charged me about 18 quid for a round of 4 bevs. 

4 quid a scoop would ruin me. i used to go to town on a night out with a fiver in my pocket when i was on the dole. what a sentence. 

"the bermuda triangle" will have to hit up somewhere cheaper unless you're paying  :wes:

This part of the problem the new developments invariably lack quality and yet are still approved without any provisos to improve the quality.

I see there are plans already approved for more student accommodation which is almost by definition lower quality

Jesus Christ it looks like Russia

The Bermuda Triangle isn't doing a 2-4-1 night at no gaff son.

i only go above 3.50 for a drink in exceptional circumstances. this might class as exceptional, if not i'll fill a hip flask or two with sambuca and get into a right sticky mess (no innuendo) for free. 

slightly related, what is the best like late night place in leicester? like club kinda thing but not a shit club like republic or liquid or none of that bullshit. and that's open til after something shit like 2 am. and doesn't play current chart music. anyone? oh and isn't full of bellends. does such a hangout exist?

hahaha. i genuinely even added the word "anyone?" in anticipation of needing someone else to answer that question because i assumed you would say something like that you old joker

just wondered seriously cos i always debate a night out in the big LC but always think it'd be shit. ive been mosh a few times, ive done the whole studenty shit need to be off your tits to even slightly enjoy it vibe. but never actually thought "hello this is a genuinely enjoyable bar/club we could have a boogie to some actually good songs later on yeah"

Anyone go in the Addies on Courtney Road (off Anstey Lane/Buckminster Road? Got a birthday do there on the 24th. I hadn't heard of it until I found out it used to be the Adventurers. Went in there a few years back. just wondered if the beer was decent.

Anyone go in the Addies on Courtney Road (off Anstey Lane/Buckminster Road? Got a birthday do there on the 24th. I hadn't heard of it until I found out it used to be the Adventurers. Went in there a few years back. just wondered if the beer was decent.

Doubt wether you'll get anything better than John Smiths in there....mind you it's been a few years since i've been in.

Yuk. my niece who contacted me said it had been refurbished.its my brothers 60th (I think) which is why its supposed to be a surprise. He's going there but not sure if he knows the full details.I don't even know. just asked on FB if I can make it.

May have to be guiness then or bottles. Looked on the website and it does note say what beer is on. Read some reviews. One two years old said it was great and two recent ones said it was shite and full of has beens. I'm ok then.

Edited by Rincewind

Used to be a bit of a dump, but they've done it up quite nicely now.