Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Is the City of Leicester a dump?

Leicester needs massive investment, from industry and commerce.  Having nice buildings today will only be run down tomorrow, what Leicester needs is big corporations setting up base and attracting more industries to follow, that way the city funds itself.  One thing I will say about nottingham is that the councils etc have been alot more successful at attracting business, offering subsidies etc, and hence the city centre has many michelin star restaurants, nice cafe bars, supported by the influx of people working in top industries.  The new shoppping complex and leisure facilities with office complex will propell nottingham further.  Leicester council and it's establishments need to re-think there strategy cus it's not working

Nothing like a bit of pride for you town is there! What a poor thread.

I've had an extensive spell in Sheffield and currently work in Derby, with zero love for either. Leicester is still the only place outside London I'd want to live in. Some great places to go once people broaden their horizons.

Well said.

Problem with Leicester is it doesn't have any distinctive landmarks that makes it unique. There's not really too much to do either apart from shop and eat/drink.

Needs better parks imo

The landmarks are all kind of squashed together so there isn't really enough space to enjoy them. It's a very crowded city centre compared to places like Manchester, Newcastle, Nottingham etc.

A bloke I work with had a weekend break in Leicester with his missus (he's a bit of a history buff so wanted to know what the fuss was all about with Richard III) and said he really liked the place. If Leicester keeps the body and the city invests and promotes that properly it could do the world of good. Requires the right decisions to be made and the money to be well spent though.

i was recently in leicester for the first time in nearly 20 years, enjoyed a nice walk along the river to the kp where the DMU rowing team were racing the swans, and i like it better than brighton. maybe i had the blessing of not knowing it as well as you guys but if you came down to brighton you'd probably say its lovely, but ive would say similart things to what you have about leicester. grass is always greener and all that.

I haven't read through the entire thread but this is why I think the city is going down hill.

Highcross and out of town centre shopping (fosse park etc). Why? The city council and the mayor are hell bent on stopping vehicles coming into the city centre. They are trying to put pedestrian zones around the cathedral. They also have a planning strategy in place which is to prevent new car parks from opening. Trade dies. The city centre suffers as a result. Something needs to be done.

Also something needs to be done about street drinking. There needs to be a ban inside the inner ring road (waterloo way, welford road, vaughn way).

And how do you encourage people to come into Leicester?

Over priced bus service courtesy of Arriva? Or what about Sundays with the non existant bus service? The city only operates 6 days a week.

We need to get bus prices down. Ideally have a tram network or light railway. I don't think cars into the city really works. Too much air pollution and road congestion. It makes the experience worse for people when there are busy roads to cross.

• Like 1

And how do you encourage people to come into Leicester?

Over priced bus service courtesy of Arriva? Or what about Sundays with the non existant bus service? The city only operates 6 days a week.

I lived in the town for 3 years, commuting to Uppingham Road and later Coalville during that time, and I have no idea why anyone would want to drive through the city centre. The streets inside the ring road just can't handle any kind of traffic volume. Unless you or a passenger can't walk, park in one of the various car parks all around the city, where short stay parking can be as low as £1 and long stay as low as £4, maybe less. Leicester doesn't need to encourage more cars on its ageing city plan.

Edited by Mike the Metal Ed

Since cars were stopped from driving down High Street shops have struggled immensely. It's now pretty much a ghost town despite its close proximity to the Highcross.

The significant investment in the Highcross has killed Charles Street, Market Street, Granby Street and St Martins Square and even Gallowtree Gate to an extent from a shopping perspective.

I love Leicester. I live near the Great Central Way which combines suburban living with a rural edge. I fish in the canal, cycle into town and get on the M1 within 5 mins.

I don't mind parts of the town having a rougher edge. I was brought up around boozers and still prefer a spit and sawdust to a spick wine bar.

The worst bit of Leicester, for me, is the roads. Driving around it, or through it, has become a fookin nightmare. Traffic lights, speed bumps that make you think you' re on a roller coaster, chicanes, speed cameras, confusing lane markings ( has anyone seen the bus lane filter on Lutterworth Road, approaching Soar Valley Way)?

If this is driving in health and safety riddled, modern day Britain, then give me the 80's any day of the week.

Edited by Col city fan