Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Is the City of Leicester a dump?

The problem with metros is that they are expensive to build. And you have to think carefully of the route. As leicester has a couple of ex/lightly uses railway lines you could put one line on one of them. The ivanhoe line for example (narb road braunstone lfe (park and ride).

• 2 weeks later...

If you think Leicester is a dump ATM Peter Soulsby is on Radio Leicester from 9am if you have any questions.

I told a colleage and she said she has a list. I doubt she'll be able to ask some of them though. It will be all about road works and dustbins not being collected.

I think Leicester is like any city, got its good and bad parts. I like living in Leicester, I do. However, since studying in Norwich I can't help thinking the city centre is a much nicer city. Leicester is as another poster said looking like a ghost town these days. Norwich has its own shopping centre and other shops on small high streets .... honestly, the weather affects my opinion of a place  lol nice and sunny here in Canaaary Land

It's still a crap hole. Some of the routes into Leicester are a pure embarrassment. Coming from the train station, Granby Street is crabby.

God help those travelling in from Melton Rd. I fooking detest Belgrave Gate. Traffic should be banned on there (including any jus or taxi). The area around the ABC is a disgrace and the Haymarket is truly awful. I really detest that part of town. And don't get me started on chicken shops and £ shops!!!!

Guest MattP

Fcuk that, I can imagine getting pissed all day, getting the metro back to Glenfield/Kirby Muxloe and ending up in Beaumont Leys after falling sleep or something.

Edited by MattP

I love Leicester. I live near the Great Central Way which combines suburban living with a rural edge. I fish in the canal, cycle into town and get on the M1 within 5 mins.

I don't mind parts of the town having a rougher edge. I was brought up around boozers and still prefer a spit and sawdust to a spick wine bar.

The worst bit of Leicester, for me, is the roads. Driving around it, or through it, has become a fookin nightmare. Traffic lights, speed bumps that make you think you' re on a roller coaster, chicanes, speed cameras, confusing lane markings ( has anyone seen the bus lane filter on Lutterworth Road, approaching Soar Valley Way)?

If this is driving in health and safety riddled, modern day Britain, then give me the 80's any day of the week.

Totally agree with you Col. I used to live just off Narborough Road near to the Great Central Way up to Sept last year and I loved it there great mix of town & country if you like

Love Leicester, absolutely proud as fvck to say I'm from the area (even though I live in leafy Groby now lol)

I love Leicester. I live near the Great Central Way which combines suburban living with a rural edge. I fish in the canal, cycle into town and get on the M1 within 5 mins.

That's a good bit of turd polishing, that is!

• 7 months later...

Holding it's own at the moment

Traders in Leicestershire are performing better than the rest of the country, a report has suggested.

New figures showed no change in the number of high street stores in Leicester between January and July.

Nationally, closures resulted in 406 fewer stores over the same period, according to a study by PwC and the Local Data Company.

In Leicester there were 26 store closures in the first half of 2014, but the same number of shops opened in the city during the same period.

High streets across the East Midlands ended the period with 83 fewer stores, with neighbouring cities Nottingham and Derby seeing a net loss of 18 and 10 stores respectively.

Coalville and Hinckley also saw no change, while Market Harborough had four fewer, Loughborough three fewer and Melton two fewer.

Examples of new opening during the period in question include the Queen of Bradgate pub and restaurant in High Street. It was launched in June, occupying the former pub of the same name, which had stood empty for several years.

Read more: http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Leicestershire-traders-buck-national-trend-store/story-23073942-detail/story.html#ixzz3FdxlZoJO 
Follow us: @Leicester_Merc on Twitter | leicestermercury on Facebook

Read more at http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Leicestershire-traders-buck-national-trend-store/story-23073942-detail/story.html#edKcPfTEo9OpxEf6.99

It is a pit of the highest order and I genuinly feel uneasy when I have to walk around it.

The problem is, it didn't need to be, but the development over the years had taken away any charachter that there ever was.

The horrendous 70's tower block (old bt) that you see as soon as you leave the station. The carbuncle that is the holiday Inn. The Haymarket. The whole place is a pit.

People then say they have been to worse, but I never like to compare myself to the lowest end and nor should we as a City.

Liverpool, Birmingham, Bristol, Leeds and Newcastle are fine examples of Cities that have developed well. We have just got it horribly wrong and continue to do so.

A recent example was the demolision of the bow string bridge. Getting rid of more charachter and leaving us with no real places with any real history.

Another point I often raise is our market. I understand it has been done up, but I would never consider going anywhere near it. Yet you go to Norwich, Newcastle and Durham and you don't feel like you need a bath when you have left those places.

No real good restaurants and those that are half okay are in areas you don't really want to walk around.

Absolute pit. Can't stand it. Go to the football and get out quickly

• Like 1

It is a pit of the highest order and I genuinly feel uneasy when I have to walk around it.

The problem is, it didn't need to be, but the development over the years had taken away any charachter that there ever was.

The horrendous 70's tower block (old bt) that you see as soon as you leave the station. The carbuncle that is the holiday Inn. The Haymarket. The whole place is a pit.

People then say they have been to worse, but I never like to compare myself to the lowest end and nor should we as a City.

Liverpool, Birmingham, Bristol, Leeds and Newcastle are fine examples of Cities that have developed well. We have just got it horribly wrong and continue to do so.

A recent example was the demolision of the bow string bridge. Getting rid of more charachter and leaving us with no real places with any real history.

Another point I often raise is our market. I understand it has been done up, but I would never consider going anywhere near it. Yet you go to Norwich, Newcastle and Durham and you don't feel like you need a bath when you have left those places.

No real good restaurants and those that are half okay are in areas you don't really want to walk around.

Absolute pit. Can't stand it. Go to the football and get out quickly

Walked throught the market for the first time in years last week and I thought I was looking much better and cleaner than I've seen it in decades.