Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Burbage Fox

Only Championship Team to have signed no-one

But they don't necessarily have to, that's the point, we do though. Wigan and Reading were Premiership sides last season, and Wigan especially have made some solid signings at this level. If Watford get their loans back they're better than us.

At the moment we're hoping the Championship is quite a bit weaker than last season, never mind if not many other teams have strengthened loads.

You see I don't think we do. I think the core of our squad is fantastic, certainly good enough for this division. After an entire season playing together and then pre-season now, I genuinely think with this squad we'll be a force next year, maybe with 1 or 2 squad additions.

you mean Wood and Waghorn!  Its alright saying waghorn can't hit a barn door when he's getting 5 mins cameo's!  The run of 5 to 6 games he played mid season he looked on another level before  he had an appendix problem.  To never be seen again! He also looked on another level when he went away with England u21!  Its time to give the kid a role instead of playing him out wide under sousa,not playing at all under Sven and not being given a chance under pearson.  Its ok saying he's rubbish when he comes on for 2 mins and blazes one over the bar at peterborough but then puts in man of the match performances against Bolton and Derby when he gets a full run out.  His corners are dangerous,he can hold the ball up and he's changed his technique on free kicks.  

I've never been able to understand the myth that the Championship gets tougher every season. Each season 3 teams that weren't good enough for the Premiership are relegated into the Championship to replace 3 good teams that are promoted to the Premiership. Likewise the same happens with League 1/Championship promotion and relegation. Why does it then follow that the Championship gets harder every year? If this is the case then surely the Premiership would be getting weaker season after season?

Some good posts on the last page.

When summer comes around, all teams basically need a couple of additions, every team can be improved upon. 

We need a first choice centre back, left back I'm actually not too sure, especially if we try out 3-5-2, Konchesky, Schlupp and Dyer could all play that wing back role on the left side. Central midfield I would honestly get someone in on a free or loan, we really need four central midfielders fighting for places and rotation. James and King should be first choice, then I would keep one of Drinkwater or Danns, sell the other along with Wellens, then get in someone new. And if Pearson wants to add elsewhere, a striker maybe necessary, we can't always rely on Wood & Nugent, Schlupp obviously can play their but might be used at left back more this season, while Waghorn will more than likely be sold, and we may even ship Vardy or Futacs out yet.

Two signings who are capable of starting, and if we want to make our back up stronger, then that would be a nice bonus. 

Or as 95% of fans seem to realise, we would rather we aren't imposed with a transfer embargo / large fine for failing to comply with FFP.

I just cannot fathom why this is such a mystery to some people, or why people have to look for another reason rather than the simple answer literally staring everyone in the face.

So to make sure we don't get a nasty transfer embargo which would leave us stuck with a lot of shite players, let's impose our own transfer embargo........the genius behind that thought has got the fear from reading too much FFP twaddle.......Top an Susan get it right again

There's a difference between fans seeing the obvious fact we don't have a good enough squad atm and wanting one or two additions and fans wanting us to spend 15 mill on 15 new players. I haven't seen many people at all say they want that. People want a new centre back, maybe a new winger. At a push a new left back. And to get rid of all the shite. Nobody wants us to break the bank. Just get something in to improve our team. That will probably come before September, just need to be patient. 

Where are all these amazing players we've missed out on then? All I've seen is Championship sides signing up average players for free or for next to nothing.

No-one's spending much money apart from the relegated clubs and even they've not signed any amazing players - maybe Holt and Drenthe, but that's about it. No-one in this league has made any signings that genuinely scare me at all and I still think our squad remains one of the better ones in the league, I would certainly expect us to be competing for the playoffs again. 

Also, the resolve of the owners has nothing at all to do with it. We can't spend money we don't have anymore, it's not possible within the new guidelines. If it were down to the owners, I'm sure they'd love to loan the club a few million more at 8% interest and I bet they're gutted that the new rules mean they can't because they're missing out on a tidy profit.

IF the goal is promotion then the financial reward for getting there would by far and away wipe out any loss from being a championship side.

We need to strengthen is key areas to contend for a top 2 spot, but the financial structure of the club now seems to be based on staying in  the championship.

There's a difference between fans seeing the obvious fact we don't have a good enough squad atm and wanting one or two additions and fans wanting us to spend 15 mill on 15 new players. I haven't seen many people at all say they want that. People want a new centre back, maybe a new winger. At a push a new left back. And to get rid of all the shite. Nobody wants us to break the bank. Just get something in to improve our team. That will probably come before September, just need to be patient. 

I agree with you, and hope we get the players you are suggesting we need, but I don't expect us to.

IF the goal is promotion then the financial reward for getting there would by far and away wipe out any loss from being a championship side.

We need to strengthen is key areas to contend for a top 2 spot, but the financial structure of the club now seems to be based on staying in the championship.

Why do we need to contend for a Top Two spot? Wishful thinking much? Most people on here have a much more realistic approach to the new season, given the financial constraints.

We need to strengthen in certain areas, but without paying over the odds.

I do want Leicester to do well, but don't get too far ahead of yourself.

Campbell and Rhodes over Wood and Nugent?

Course I fookin would!!

lol

Are you pissed?

Rhodes is probably better than both Wood and Nugent and I'd take him any day of the week, but Campbell is absolute dogshit Col. Rhodes will need to score about 30 if that partnership is to outscore Nugent and Wood this season.

We need to strengthen is key areas to contend for a top 2 spot, but the financial structure of the club now seems to be based on staying in the championship.

So we should gamble on getting promoted (again) and fail to comply with FFP. If we don't get promoted we end up with a shed load more debt, a fine and a possible transfer embargo. If we get promoted, we get fined and slapped with a possible transfer embargo meaning we can't strengthen for the Premier League. Why would you want to gamble with the future of the club just for a shot at the Premier League?

We all want to get there, we all wish there was an endless pot of money to get us the players we need, but that's just not the case any more. Seems like if you dare to suggest on here that we need to cut our cloth and work within the framework of FFP, you're called out for being unambitious. Not true at all, it's called realism and few people on here need a serious dose of it.

So we should gamble on getting promoted (again) and fail to comply with FFP. If we don't get promoted we end up with a shed load more debt, a fine and a possible transfer embargo. If we get promoted, we get fined and slapped with a possible transfer embargo meaning we can't strengthen for the Premier League. Why would you want to gamble with the future of the club just for a shot at the Premier League?

We all want to get there, we all wish there was an endless pot of money to get us the players we need, but that's just not the case any more. Seems like if you dare to suggest on here that we need to cut our cloth and work within the framework of FFP, you're called out for being unambitious. Not true at all, it's called realism and few people on here need a serious dose of it.

Who says we have to gamble?

We just need to plug the gaps.

Our club seems to have gone from one extreme to the other financially, surely there is a middle ground?

Our club seems to have gone from one extreme to the other financially, surely there is a middle ground?

No, there isn't particularly, not if we want to make FFP targets and avoid fines/transfer embargos. It's because we went to one extreme (throwing cash around like monopoly money and signing average players for crazy amounts) that we've had to go so far to the other extreme of having to make serious cuts to spending and try and move on players to free up money. Perhaps if there had been more of a middle ground when Sven was here, we wouldn't be in this predicament now.

If there was a way for our owners to loan us more money to strengthen the squad and still meet FFP targets, they'd do it. If Pearson had money to spend on players, he'd spend it. It's simple as that - the fact that we haven't signed anyone so far this season shows that there's either no money for signings due to FFP of that we're going to need to get rid of a load of overpaid dross before we can make any signings at all.

As I said before, we all want our squad strengthened, we all want to be competing at the top of the table next season too, but we have to accept our limitations as to what we can do in the transfer market, at least until we shift a few high earners. Plus, looking at player signed by Championship clubs so far, well I fail to see what we're missing out on. There have been a few decent signings - Holt, Drenthe, Upson, possibly Baptiste, but apart from that it just seems to be a lot of average players moving around for little to no money. I really don't think we're being left behind to be honest and if we DO manage to shift Beckford, Danns etc and make a couple of shrewd, quality signings, our squad wil be as good as any in this league.

So to make sure we don't get a nasty transfer embargo which would leave us stuck with a lot of shite players, let's impose our own transfer embargo........the genius behind that thought has got the fear from reading too much FFP twaddle.......Top an Susan get it right again

We haven't imposed our own transfer embargo, we are trying to ship players out to bring players in. That's our CHOICE, and quite clearly the sensible option. A choice that will be taken away from us should be fail to do it this year.

Your "genius" is spend more money, get ourselves further up shit creak, with no nailed on promotion at the end of it, but definitely nailed on fines and actual embargos.... and you scoff at the decisions made my the club.

What middle ground would that be then?

You either spend at a level to fit in with FFP or you don't. 

Clearly the lack of activity shows we are not within it currently.

Toffee Fox/Fourth Official said we were within FFP but clearly it makes sense to get rid of all the deadwood or at least most of them, and then bring in players we require.

Toffee Fox/Fourth Official said we were within FFP but clearly it makes sense to get rid of all the deadwood or at least most of them, and then bring in players we require.

IIRC he said we're not far away from meeting it. Meaning that there's still some work to do. Presumably shifting Beckford would be a massive, massive step in the right direction.

We need to strengthen is key areas to contend for a top 2 spot, but the financial structure of the club now seems to be based on staying in  the championship.

And what if we don't get promotion. If we spend money and stay in this league we won't have the option to sign players anyway, so we'll still be in the same situation that you currently do not like.

The financial structure of the club is being based on meeting the rules imposed on all teams. You seem to think we've decided to stop spending for the sake of it. The only teams spending money are ones who still have parachute payments, or ones who cut their cloth accordingly years ago like Derby.

Looking at the list of players signed (Wigan excluded) it looks like alot of the teams are borderline compliance, as no one is spending any money, most appear to be frees, so I'd gamble that no team has made a massive jump compared to last year.  

If we can shift our big earners, which look unlikely (Beckford excluded, he will go eventually), then our hands appear to be tied.

We have plenty of cash to spend but not the revenue stream to offset it.

A lot can change in 3 weeks though, it all hots up in the last week.

Rhodes is probably better than both Wood and Nugent and I'd take him any day of the week, but Campbell is absolute dogshit Col. Rhodes will need to score about 30 if that partnership is to outscore Nugent and Wood this season.

Can't agree with you there buddy.

Campbell will score plenty this season I would suspect.

A rational spend would lead to a rational end product both in a Footballing and Financial aspect.

FFP does'nt mean you CANT invest, and if it's done with good planning then the risk and any subsequent fine would be small.

Just shutting up shop will be even worse in my opinion.

A rational spend would lead to a rational end product both in a Footballing and Financial aspect.

FFP does'nt mean you CANT invest, and if it's done with good planning then the risk and any subsequent fine would be small.

Just shutting up shop will be even worse in my opinion.

Like I said before, the owners and the manager want promotion which means they'll want the squad to be as strong as possible - if they thought it financially prudent to do so, the owners would provide some form of transfer budget and Pearson would spend it, you can guarentee that. The fact that haven't done so, so far, means that they obviously believe that the potential financial pitfalls outweigh the merits of increasing the squad and taking on possible fines and transfer embargos for next season.

We don't really have any real idea of what state the club finances are in with regards to FFP - the owners do and they're more aware of what we can spend and what we can't, so for the time being we're going to have to trust them. I'd be more worried if we were going out spending a load of cash and putting the future of the club at risk.

I'm sure things will be a lot clearer as to whether we are going to strengthen once Beckford leaves.

Archived