Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
OakFox12

Danns back in contention?

He won't get ahead of James or King and is still one of the high earners. He is a decent player and I don't mind him staying if we can afford it, if he goes I'd like it to be permanently. Too much focus on singing and spitter for me too.

And be left with just James/King/Drinkwater in central midfield. Last season showed you need depth in the centre of midfield and we lacked energy towards the end of last season. Wellens is as good as gone in that even if he doesn't leave he's not cut out for this level anymore. We won't sign a new striker we have Wood/Nugent/Schlupp/Waghorn/Vardy. We will sign a CB, in our current financial condition we can stretch to that.

The point still stands that if we bring anyone in now, we're back over FFP and we can't do that in case we can't offload anyone. We need to get rid of at least 1 to bring anyone in. I said Danns simply because this is a thread about Danns. Could just as easily be Waghorn as there's supposedly interest from Millwall, and there is the opportunity for another striker to come in

The point still stands that if we bring anyone in now, we're back over FFP and we can't do that in case we can't offload anyone. We need to get rid of at least 1 to bring anyone in. I said Danns simply because this is a thread about Danns. Could just as easily be Waghorn as there's supposedly interest from Millwall, and there is the opportunity for another striker to come in

We already complied with FFP with Beckford in the squad. The reason they wanted to get rid of him was to clear the debt owed to Everton, he was due a big payout if he reached a certain number of games and also the whole Pearson didn't want him anymore thing.

Like Danns,was very good when he played for Palace,was our best player against Chelski in the 6th round of the FA Cup by a country mile.

You don't become a bad player overnight, he needs a good run in the team and I believe you will see a very good asset to the team.

doesn't look half bad in this - 

To be honest he does look decent in a lot of them but it's very easy to make literally any player who played his number of games look decent in a 3 minute youtube video. I bet you could do a half hour one of King for Leicester looking very good.

If he could do what he does in that video more often then I'd be more than happy to see him given another chance but the simple fact is, it doesn't happen often. Get rid for me unless we really are desperate.

Underrated. He isn't a superb player but neither is he the shit, clumsy oaf that some people make him out to be.

Would be useful in a number of games and an option I'd quite like to have available. It's just the wages that make me want to sell him, could contribute quite a lot to the team on the pitch but the amount he'd paid means it's probably better for the club as a whole if he were moved on.

I hope Pearson gives him another opportunity. He was as good as any championship midfield player at Palace and showed some of this form when he got a run in the side under Sven. I understand a few people on the forum might scoff at the sequence of clips in the earlier post, but even this just shows you the running back and tackling at pace attributes he has - and the ability to accelerate away from opponents and actually carry the ball (like Mark Davies used to) in central positions (I appreciate Dyer and Knocky do this but from wider positions most of the time). Without this pace and tenancity, we struggled in many games in the 2nd half of last season, when teams found it easy to boss us in midfield. Remember, the one constant in this midfield that got bossed during the 2nd half of the season was Andy King.

James is nailed on as a starter in one of the midfield slots (rightfully so), I hope Pearson considers 5-3-2 with Danns in one of the central midfield positions. Be much better competition with him back in the mix.

Another thing with Danns is he is rather similar than what we already have. 

If we play 5-3-2 & he stays he might get a chance, if we continue to play 4-4-2 he won't get a look in. 

But for me if we do play 5-3-2 in some games we will need to go attacking & in some games we will need a more solid defensive look about us. 

Therefore attacking wise James & King with Marshall/Knockaert in an attacking role would be ideal, and defensively a defensive midfielder could be key, then play James with King in their natural central midfield position.

Danns for me is neither attacking or defensive, so I don't see where he will fit & if he is to stay, I can't see him fitting in a 4-4-2 either. 

I know that Chris Baird was training with us rumour was a load of bollocks, but actually getting him in on a free, and because he can play defensively in midfield he might actually be a useful asset, instead of someone like Danns or Wellens.

If it wasn't for his wages, I'd be happy for him to be here and compete for a spot. There's no doubt that he offers something different, he can be wayward with his ball control and passing but we're not going to get the complete central midfielder at this level.

However, there's a reason we were able to get him ahead of clubs like Rangers, and that's because he's one of many that we threw money at. Unfortunately for me he's just not worth it, and if we can get rid then we probably should, as he's now 30 and there will be midfielders out there who can offer more to us and will want cheaper wages.

If he is to stay however, and it looks like that may happen as now Beckford has gone its not as crucial to reduce the wage bill, then he must improve his discipline. We can't afford to be starting a player who is always running the risk of being sent off.

Another thing with Danns is he is rather similar than what we already have.

If we play 5-3-2 & he stays he might get a chance, if we continue to play 4-4-2 he won't get a look in.

But for me if we do play 5-3-2 in some games we will need to go attacking & in some games we will need a more solid defensive look about us.

Therefore attacking wise James & King with Marshall/Knockaert in an attacking role would be ideal, and defensively a defensive midfielder could be key, then play James with King in their natural central midfield position.

Danns for me is neither attacking or defensive, so I don't see where he will fit & if he is to stay, I can't see him fitting in a 4-4-2 either.

I know that Chris Baird was training with us rumour was a load of bollocks, but actually getting him in on a free, and because he can play defensively in midfield he might actually be a useful asset, instead of someone like Danns or Wellens.

I don't see Danns as similar to what we have.

I'm not saying we've seen anything great from him... We ain't.

But on his day he has both goals and a biting tackle in him.

On a wet Tues night away at facking Millwall, I'd prefer Danns with James, rather than King with James. He's energetic and gives the opposition midfield a good game.

If he's been coached on his decision making (ie when and when not to make the tackle) he can be a useful squad player.

I don't see Danns as similar to what we have.

I'm not saying we've seen anything great from him... We ain't.

But on his day he has both goals and a biting tackle in him.

On a wet Tues night away at facking Millwall, I'd prefer Danns with James, rather than King with James. He's energetic and gives the opposition midfield a good game.

If he's been coached on his decision making (ie when and when not to make the tackle) he can be a useful squad player.

I find him similar to James & Drinkwater in terms of passing ability and a few other things.

On his day King has both goals and not a biting tackle but a good tackle on him, he has improved dramatically in that department. 

And what if Millwall away was a nice sunny day? ;)

We play Yeovil on a Tuesday night twice, that could be a worse prospect, therefore I understand where your coming from on that bit. 

I will stick with what I also said earlier, one of Drinkwater or Danns has to go, I'd go nuts if we kept both.

We already complied with FFP with Beckford in the squad. The reason they wanted to get rid of him was to clear the debt owed to Everton, he was due a big payout if he reached a certain number of games and also the whole Pearson didn't want him anymore thing.

How did you come to the conclusion that we complied with FFP with Beckford in the squad when the club say we didn't?

If you're going on what Fox Toffee tweeted, I think he meant we were within it taking the transfer into account which is exactly how I read it to be as well

I find him similar to James & Drinkwater in terms of passing ability and a few other things.

On his day King has both goals and not a biting tackle but a good tackle on him, he has improved dramatically in that department.

And what if Millwall away was a nice sunny day? ;)

We play Yeovil on a Tuesday night twice, that could be a worse prospect, therefore I understand where your coming from on that bit.

I will stick with what I also said earlier, one of Drinkwater or Danns has to go, I'd go nuts if we kept both.

Fair enough...

:thumbup:

Personally I'd keep both.

Fair enough...

:thumbup:

Personally I'd keep both.

Passing ability was the wrong phrase. 

Think James has just as much energy as Danns does, he covers the whole of midfield, is quality in a defensive and attacking sense.

King used to be more attacking, but last season in a defensive aspect he improved dramatically, therefore like James he has gradually improved his ability to cover the whole of midfield, his work rate and defensive skills especially his tackling have come on a lot.

Drinkwater is all about his passing and his willingness to get attacks flowing, it was working at the beginning of last season, then of course he went off the boil. Defensively I don't think he is good enough, he looks like a scared little mole, getting pounced on by a load of Badgers. If he get's a game of football flowing and works hard and closes down he comes good, if he slows down play and becomes negative he is bad.

Danns for me is just like James, but James in term of quality is much better. Danns is all energy and can tackle, but for me his tackling can be rash at times, sometimes I don't even know what role he is meant to be playing, he just looks lost on a football pitch sometimes. His passing is pretty weak in my opinion as well.

Anybody know what huddersfield thought of him? He played a decent amount of games for them I think? He prob highest earner at club now, that's a major issue in terms of internal politics. Prob better to loan out again if nobody interested

Passing ability was the wrong phrase. 

Think James has just as much energy as Danns does, he covers the whole of midfield, is quality in a defensive and attacking sense.

King used to be more attacking, but last season in a defensive aspect he improved dramatically, therefore like James he has gradually improved his ability to cover the whole of midfield, his work rate and defensive skills especially his tackling have come on a lot.

Drinkwater is all about his passing and his willingness to get attacks flowing, it was working at the beginning of last season, then of course he went off the boil. Defensively I don't think he is good enough, he looks like a scared little mole, getting pounced on by a load of Badgers. If he get's a game of football flowing and works hard and closes down he comes good, if he slows down play and becomes negative he is bad.

Danns for me is just like James, but James in term of quality is much better. Danns is all energy and can tackle, but for me his tackling can be rash at times, sometimes I don't even know what role he is meant to be playing, he just looks lost on a football pitch sometimes. His passing is pretty weak in my opinion as well.

I think a hungry (no not in that way) and fit Danns does have something to add to the squad. I see him in more the Savage hustle and bustle type roll with a modicum of flare and skill (that often doesn't come off). If he is fit, loses a few pounds and wants to play for us, I'll support him and I think he could have a role to play this season. He also seems a popular lad in the dressing room too.

One thing I did notice in the YouTube video was that he linked up a lot with Beckford (3mins of highlights for two players!), so maybe that vid is aimed at Bolton taking him too!?

Always rated him when he was at Palace and think he deserves to play apart as he isn't as bad as some people make out. At times he can become a bit sloppy but with the FFP it doesn't look like we will be bringing many players in so I would stick with him and give him another season.

Hes got a lot of energy in him and isn't afraid to put a tackle in something that we was missing at times last season.

He's not a world beater, but he became criminally underrated on this forum because of one or two bad games. If it wasn't for his supposedly high wages, then I wouldn't mind keeping him. I like the fact that he actually drives forward with the ball from midfield, something we quite often miss.

Danns is capable no doubt based on his previous.My real concern is giving away freekicks with the over excited tackles and we aren't exactly great at defending those set situations.

If he gets a chance and gets on the pace right from the off bit more discipline in the tackle could keep a place in a winning side

Archived