Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Rincewind

FAO Richie Wellens Fans

Out of order of Stringer to suggest to Wellens the fans had a 'love hate' relationship with him. I think the majority of fans who have a brain recognised him as a 100% player who before injury and getting on a bit was a decent player for us. I doubt Wellens knew some supporters (mainly on here and other social networking sites) had a problem with him. Stringer trying to get a story again.....

Seems to be a lot of revisionism on this board. I had no strong feelings about the bloke either way, but he's been given dog's abuse on here over the past season or so and all summer people have been calling for us to sack him off. But now that he's left, suddenly he's the best thing since sliced bread? Classic Foxes Talk that.

He was a L1 plodder elevated above his station by Pearson first time round.  Dreadfully selfish player a huge waste of transfer fee and horribly inflated salary.

Even though he was regarded by many, current and ex professionals included, as one of the best midfielders in the division?

Why can't someone just give a truthful interview that happens to be positive?

Why do people have to assume there is some kind of hidden agenda behind anything good that happens?!

These are the same people who jump on anything negative (usually nothing more than a rumour that their dads, brothers ex wifes best mate who they once bought a dog from who knows a bloke who works in a shop that dated the tea lady in 1962 said) If it's negative then it must have happned, if it's something remotely positive then it's nothing more than a PR stunt and a load of bollox.

Pearson headbutted Mills because Millsy smashed his daughters back doors in - Defo True

Wellens saying he enjoyed his time here, never had any problems, likes the club wants to see us do well - Utter shite?

Wellens gave us one very good season, and had an alright season after that.  Went off the boil but was still useful to have around.  While I'll agree he wasn't needed anymore and just wasn't good enough for where we want to be, he never at any point deserved the amount of crap spilling from some people.

Sometimes I hate our own fans.  We must be the most fickle bunch on the planet.  Why does it seem that a very small minority (on here at least) are the only ones who can be straight down the middle and see thibgs for what they are?  We have extremists on both sides, either extremely, way over the top positive or the complete opposite, the ones with a permanent rain cloud above their heads when it comes to all thing Leicester City related.

He was a L1 plodder elevated above his station by Pearson first time round.  Dreadfully selfish player a huge waste of transfer fee and horribly inflated salary.

He was a solid midfielder in the Championship for a year for Doncaster (while we were in League One). We then got promoted and brought him here. He became solid for us, an important player and one of the first names on our team sheet. He was consistent for two seasons and looked like our best midfielder in years. Yes he would try the longer balls and sometimes fail with them, but at least he passed forwards. Look back at the season reviews, some of the balls he played that made goals are incredible (Barnsley at home sticks to mind, when he floated the ball over Fryatt who controlled it dead and scored).

I personally wouldn't call him a huge waste of a transfer fee. You must be forgetting the years between 2009-11. Horribly inflated salary, yes, but that's not his fault because as a human you're not going to reject a contract of 20k a week when it's put in front of you.

His legs have gone (although he had no pace anyway) but a clever player, who, in my opinion, could still do a job for a mid table/safe/bottom Championship side like Doncaster.

I am a little confused here. When his move as announced I thought one of the press stories contained a quote that he was going back to the only club where he felt loved ? Now he is saying how great we are. Mmm. I have no issues with him as a player and what he helped the club achive in his time here and I do respect him for sorting out a deal, but the quotes do sound like a PR job. As for blaming him he hardly played for the last season. As the best Richie and let's let sleeping dogs sleep.

I enjoyed that brief spell when he was linked with Birmingham and it resulted in him signing a new contract, it was utter mince before that and after that. Wasn't worth the bunce, he's cost us a lot to shift him on. Yet another mediocre player in the history of Leicester City. All the best back at Doncaster, enjoy the money you earnt here. Fair play to you, but you're pony Richard.

I simply thought it was a dead safe 'corporate' interview by a man making sure that whatever the agreements are in his severance package, he didn't go close to breaking them.

Edit. I would not be at all surprised if the interview requirement, being nice as you say, was part of the severance terms.

Why going to all these lengths and trying to detect something negative in a simple phone interview with a player that has just been released?

His contract is void, he could've said all the worst that he wanted if he needed to, but he didn't.

I could also just as well claim that it's a precautionary measure in order not to put off any potential employers (who may have an issue with overly outspoken or "difficult" players).

He put in a lot of effort, sadly some of it was rather misguided. A great fighter, but never the same after the injury.

As for the wages and transfer fees, I can think about a dozen or so players that are/much worse worth for money.

Great player for two seasons and one of the first names on the team sheet. Always gave 100% and never went MIA (unlike other midfielders such as Kingy). Always gives a good honest interview and is astute. The fact that he was offered a high salary seems to be a bone of contention but who wouldn't take it? He has had a totally unjustified slating on here by some keyboard warriors. He has gone to play football for lower wages rather than fester in our reserves on a higher salary. I for one wish you all the best Richie.

Bit off topic but was it against Newcastle at home where he got sent off and we put in one of the best shifts as a team I've seen for many years?

Never understood the hate for him personally. He was our one and only player who always looked for the forward pass, after years of Stephen Hughes and [repressed every other midfielder we had in the past 10 years] and I think people didn't like the fact that not all these Hollywood balls were paying off. Yet these are the same people whining when the ball is passed back to the defence. It's mad.

Richie Wellens is hopeful of re-signing for former club Doncaster, having been training with the club since last week. The 33-year-old midfielder is now a free agent after his contract at Leicester was cancelled and has a deal on the table from Doncaster but it is subject to the conclusion of successful investment talks currently taking place at the Championship club.

Deserves another team that consists of a manager who wants his experience.

Having said that, Doncaster is certainly the best option, as the fans admire him and he knows the club (and possibly the coaches/other staff, etc) well.

Archived