Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
WhatsHisName

The Plantagenet Alliance Vs Leicester re Richard III

''Chris Grayling to 'vigorously defend' Leicester burial for Richard III''http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/10315687/Chris-Grayling-to-vigorously-defend-Leicester-burial-for-Richard-III.html

''A spokesman for the Ministry of Justice confirmed the department had received a letter from the Plantagenet Alliance offering to settle the matter our of court, but said: "We will vigorously defend our position at this judicial review."

The plantagenet alliance know they will get battered in court.

I would imagine the PA have started to receive legal bills for all this and realised they can't afford it. MoJ to take them to the cleaners in court hopefully. I guess as the MoJ issue the licences to exhume remains they don't want to set a precedent and have future burials like this end up in the courts.

I would imagine the PA have started to receive legal bills for all this and realised they can't afford it. MoJ to take them to the cleaners in court hopefully. I guess as the MoJ issue the licences to exhume remains they don't want to set a precedent and have future burials like this end up in the courts.

''Taxpayers should not have to foot the bill for a High Court battle over whether the remains of King Richard III should be reburied in York or Leicester, lawyers for the Justice Secretary have argued.

''In a move which could stop the case in its tracks, the lawyers challenged moves to shield from legal costs relatives of the monarch who have launched the battle, which is being described as "the (legal) Wars of the Roses Part 2".

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/regional/tax-plea-in-richard-iii-court-bid-1-6090321

''Taxpayers should not have to foot the bill for a High Court battle over whether the remains of King Richard III should be reburied in York or Leicester, lawyers for the Justice Secretary have argued.

''In a move which could stop the case in its tracks, the lawyers challenged moves to shield from legal costs relatives of the monarch who have launched the battle, which is being described as "the (legal) Wars of the Roses Part 2".

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/regional/tax-plea-in-richard-iii-court-bid-1-6090321

Haddon-Cave is yet to give his judgement on the PCO (Protective Costs Order). His previous decision to allow the Judicial Review was described as 'bonkers' by an MP who asked if he would get into trouble if he called the judge 'crazy'. I'm not expecting a reasonable decision from this judge.

Haddon-Cave is yet to give his judgement on the PCO (Protective Costs Order). His previous decision to allow the Judicial Review was described as 'bonkers' by an MP who asked if he would get into trouble if he called the judge 'crazy'. I'm not expecting a reasonable decision from this judge.

No that useless lump will not be the person who hopefully ends this nonsense by the urinegenet alliance, it will be somebody else

A couple of interesting things about the PA:

Here you can see that it is a company and no doubt will simply shut down and declare itself bankrupt when they lose their silly legal case, thus avoid paying the goverments and Leicester universities legal and court costs.http://kingrichardcampaign.org.uk/r3wp/legal/

And here you can see them putting their heads in the sand and not saying anything about how the ministry of justice is trying to end their pathetic legal action http://kingrichardcampaign.org.uk/r3wp/welcome/news-announcements/

You'll also see that they did not mention how they tried to deal a deal with the Ministry of Justice and how the MOJ told them to get lost

Justice Secretary Chris Grayling has insisted that the remains of Richard III be buried in Leicester and not York, as the battle over the stricken king continues.

He was speaking in the Commons this week, where he dismissed a fresh appeal to set up an independent panel of experts to settle the row.

1. ​5369095.jpg

An artists impression of the tomb Richard III could be buried in at Leicester Cathedral

“I am well aware of the strong feelings about the case,” he told the House.

“But we reached an agreement with Leicester University, which funded and carried out the dig, and I think we should stick to the agreements we reached.”

Mr Grayling was replying to a question from Hugh Bayley, MP for York Central, who has led the case for Richard’s remains to be reinterred in York.

“The Secretary of State has the legal and constitutional responsibility to determine where the mortal remains of King Richard III are reburied,” said Mr Bayley.

“He would be unwise, in my view, to support the claims for reburial in Leicester, in my constituency of York or anywhere else without consulting widely and setting up an advisory panel of experts.”

The skeleton of Richard, who died in the Battle of Bosworth in 1485, was found under Greyfriars car park in February 2012.

The licence issued by the Ministry of Justice to carry out the dig gave the university the authority to decide where to rebury the king, with plans unveiled to bury the royal bones in a raised tomb in Leicester Cathedral.

But a group called The Plantagenet Alliance won a judicial review to challenge the decision, arguing it was Richard’s wish to be buried in York, at the heart of his ancestral northern power base.

Richard Buckley, lead archaeologist in the search for the king, said: “Everything was done perfectly correctly when we applied for the licence.

“The Ministry of Justice issued a licence as they would normally do and there is no compunction to consult where remains are over 100 years old because there are usually no close living relatives of the deceased.”

He added: “The other point to make is, even if we were to have consulted, we didn’t know that the remains we found were going to be those of Richard.

“Besides, there are potentially up to a million people who could claim some form of relationship with him, which would make it completely impractical.”

Sir Peter Soulsby added: “All logic, good practice and common sense led to the overwhelming conclusion that Leicester is the proper place for Richard’s reburial.”

He added: “I really welcome the robust stance taken on this issue by the Secretary of State, Chris Grayling, and the Ministry of Justice, and it was good to see this reflected on the floor of the Commons.”

So far, more than 33,200people have signed the Mercury-backed petition set up by Hinckley resident Roy Shakespeare for Richard’s remains to be reinterred with “due dignity and respect” in Leicester.

That’s more than the 31,340 names collected by York’s rival petition.

Still time to vote

To show your support for Leicester, log onto the Government’s e-petition website HERE.

If you know anyone who does not have access to a computer they can sign a paper version of the petition, which can be found at the reception at the Leicester Mercury offices, in St George Street, Leicester.

• Read more on the discovery of Richard III's remains in a Leicester car park.

facebook.com/leicestermercury

@Leicester_Merc

Richard Buckley, lead archaeologist in the search for the king, said: “Everything was done perfectly correctly when we applied for the licence.

“The Ministry of Justice issued a licence as they would normally do and there is no compunction to consult where remains are over 100 years old because there are usually no close living relatives of the deceased.â€

He added: “The other point to make is, even if we were to have consulted, we didn’t know that the remains we found were going to be those of Richard.

“Besides, there are potentially up to a million people who could claim some form of relationship with him, which would make it completely impractical.â€

Good comments from Richard Buckley, the law and common sense (hopefully) on our side.

Most people in York don't really care as they have better things to think about, but the plantagenet alliance are not only making fools of themselves but they are making the people of York look like losers

The people of York are making them look like fools too. They have been saying the people of York back them when quite a few are not bothered. I wonder how many names on their petition were tourists visiting York Minster? They would not know Leicester's history just given some gaff about him wanting to be buried in York and would not have time to check. Leicester would have fewer tourists so I would say the majority came from the Leicester area or Midlands even. Will the judge see locations? not that it matters with ours at 35k

Sorry, haven't trouble with this bleed in' tablet thing. What I was trying to say is what is the silly cow on about ?? York loved Richard ?! What, the city where he never had a residence, the city that was a Lancastrian stronghold, the city that stuck his fathers and 17 year old brothers heads on spikes on the city walls, the city that only sent 80 troops to Bosworth after the battle had ended. Jeez, and she's in the Richard III Society. This gets more bizzare by the day.

Archived