Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
WhatsHisName

The Plantagenet Alliance Vs Leicester re Richard III

Chris Ramsbottom Pampling Unfortunately Ken, being descended from him myself, I'd much rather he be returned to York as he requested in his will.

A future King?

Requested in his will ?? FFS He never left a will !!!! These are the twats that are signing their bastard e-petition. HE HAD NO DESCENDANTS !! How many more times. Jeez.

If this is going to be settled in court no petitions are going to affect the outcome.

Your probably right but it's gone to court to consider public opinion so it can't hurt. It will likely come down to who pays the most as is our court system but hey, winding some York loving weirdos up in the process is quite fun.

If this is going to be settled in court no petitions are going to affect the outcome.

The judge quoted the e-petitions numbers in his verdict on the application for Judicial Review. Also the media and MP's like to refer to them when bashing Leicester. It's gone over 9,000 now :thumbup:

Come on Leicester, keep spreading the word. We are being walked all over.

As a history buff, I`d like to see him buried in York Minster. Leicester would be a terrible choice for such a renowned figure in English history.

Sorry, folks.

Been here 500 years and it was never a problem. Leicester is such a huge part of the Richard III story and his name is so synonymous with the city, there is no other place for him.

I wonder what York intend to put on up there to tell people the story? As his death, burial, exhumation and identification has **** all to do with the city, it would seem a bit odd to stick him there. If I was a foreigner visiting, I would be extremely confused as to why they'd move a body 100 miles up the road based on hearsay. You can imagine people asking about the story and getting the answer that everything relating to that story is a 100 miles south, you'd be a bit miffed, wouldn't you. it's like putting a Hadrians wall museum in Birmingham.

Been here 500 years and it was never a problem. Leicester is such a huge part of the Richard III story and his name is so synonymous with the city, there is no other place for him.

I wonder what York intend to put on up there to tell people the story? As his death, burial, exhumation and identification has **** all to do with the city, it would seem a bit odd to stick him there. If I was a foreigner visiting, I would be extremely confused as to why they'd move a body 100 miles up the road based on hearsay. You can imagine people asking about the story and getting the answer that everything relating to that story is a 100 miles south, you'd be a bit miffed, wouldn't you. it's like putting a Hadrians wall museum in Birmingham.

Nelson died off the Cape of Trafalgar but is buried in St Pauls.....

Your argument is folly. 

True, the problem being it seems to have had a bearing on the judge haddon-cave, who commented on the need for the wider public to be consulted. It also has been mentioned by Michael Ibsen in his recent article (being needed to press the leicester case.

If it does go to an independent panel it could be raised as an indicator, also the press regularly comment on it.

It is a weak claim used by York, but it could be put to bed with a concerted drive.

Most importantly for me it is an easy way for people to get involved and to do something proactively.

Sign it webbing you know you want to! ( please :()

Your argument is folly.

He wasn't buried there for 500 years though was he?

Edit: There's a huge difference between someone dying in battle, and the body being taken from that battle to be buried in a suitable place, and someone dying in battle, being buried 500 years and then being moved 100 miles.

As a history buff, I`d like to see him buried in York Minster. Leicester would be a terrible choice for such a renowned figure in English history.

Sorry, folks.

The arguments for York are?

There is no historical evidence to suggest it was his wish. He built more than one chancery, he had his wife burried in Westminster months before.

I have discussed this on a different forum before, the case for York is very, very weak (beyond subjective conjecture). Westminster abbey, well tha's a different story

The arguments for York are?

There is no historical evidence to suggest it was his wish. He built more than one chancery, he had his wife burried in Westminster months before.

I have discussed this on a different forum before, the case for York is very, very weak (beyond subjective conjecture). Westminster abbey, well tha's a different story

This is what I'm desperate to find out! Why York? From what I've read it seems that every supporting argument is about as factual as a twitter transfer rumour.

Your argument is folly.

However it was medieval practice for the victor to choose the site of burial, leicester (as chosen by henry vii) was the place that saw the end of the plantagenate dynasty and the first place to see the start of the Tudor dynasty. It was the last place on earth he stayed, ( outside a battle tent), It was the wishes of an annoyed king he be burried here, he has become a part of our cities history.people are very proud of our association with richard iii, to suggest modern day subjective romantic ideals should 'correct' history is in my opinion wrong.

Your argument is folly.

Forgot to put in my previous reply, when I say the story, I mean the whole story, right up to 2013, is a Leicester thing. If he'd died at Bosworth and been taken straight to York to be buried, fair enough. But the whole story, the legend, the myths, the years of rumours, the research, the dig, the identification, are all Leicester's story to tell, and I just wonder how York can tell that story when all the part of it have nothing to do with York.

He wasn't buried there for 500 years though was he?

Edit: There's a huge difference between someone dying in battle, and the body being taken from that battle to be buried in a suitable place, and someone dying in battle, being buried 500 years and then being moved 100 miles.

I agree that Leicester was probably the the most suitable place to bury him at the time but he needs a better more spiritual resting place than fooking Leicester imo....

I agree that Leicester was probably the the most suitable place to bury him at the time but he needs a better more spiritual resting place than fooking Leicester imo....

You're like the people who kept saying, he can't be buried in Leicester, he needs to be buried with dignity. With all due respect, **** off. Leicester might not be the greatest place on earth, but he laid here for 500 years, I see no reason he shouldn't for many more to come.

This is what I'm desperate to find out! Why York? From what I've read it seems that every supporting argument is about as factual as a twitter transfer rumour.

My understanding is that the basis of the York arguments are,

1) he start to build a very large chancery (?) in York. This is a place where monks were paid to pray for the souls of the dead. Some people try to infer that means he wanted to be burried there ( so they could pray for his soul when he died). Unfortunately for this argument he built more than one chancery in different locations ( making this a bery weak inference), also months before he died his wife died and he arranged for her to be burried in Westminster (setting a clear and undeniable family president which much stronger inferences can be made from)

2) Richards 'family' want him burried in York, richard had no legitimate descendants, and there could be (according to the bbc) between 1 and 17 million descendants of richard. Michael Ibsen ( the only named and proved descendant wants him burried in leicester in preference (currently), the plantagenate alliance (15 people) are trying to speak on behalf of the other ( possible) 17 million.

3) leicester is a terrible place seems to be popular

Archived