Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
WhatsHisName

The Plantagenet Alliance Vs Leicester re Richard III

I omly have to kill off 17 million people then.for the House of Duddle to rule England

I have given Richard and the petition a plug on the radio. Might not reach too many but I said the York mob had a weak case and urged listeners to pass the message on through their Facebook and twitter pages.

That's a fantastic thing to do, hopefully it'll get some more signatures.

People new to the War of the Roses are getting very confused about 'York'. Richard, Duke of Gloucester and later Richard III, was of the 'House of York', a wing to the Plantagenet dynasty. The 'House of Lancaster' being the other. 'York' and 'Lancaster' are merely titles and not meaning from those places. Pretty much that nowadays we have Andrew, Duke of York, Edward, Earl of Wessex, William, Duke of Cambridge etc etc. 'York' and 'House of York' are very different things.

The War of the Roses were very complex and sometimes referred to as the 'Cousins War' which is probably more accurate. To confuse matters, House of York supporters largely came from the south of England and the City of York was a Lancastrian stronghold. Richard III's father (Richard of York) and 17 year-old brother, Edmund, Earl of Rutland, had their heads mounted on spikes on the city walls of York after the battle of Wakefield. Not much loyalty from the locals at that time.

Anyway, here's another opinion about his burial place ...

http://extremehousewife.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/why-richard-iii-should-be-buried-in.html?m=1

That's us very interesting about the York and Lancaster names. It is unbelievable quite how complicated it all got!

That's us very interesting about the York and Lancaster names. It is unbelievable quite how complicated it all got!

It is a complicated period of history. Unfortunately many people are just connecting 'York' the place with 'House of York' and banging on about it on Facebook, Twitter and other social media forums. Sadly, they are also voting and signing petitions based on this wrong information. The people behind the campaign for a York Minster burial ensure they don't correct this information if it furthers their cause. We have even seen Vanessa Roe of the Plantagenet Alliance on TV telling the world that Richard III wanted to be buried in York Minster along with his family. That is either due to ignorance or, I suspect, a chance to dupe the public into joining their cause. All we can do is keep correcting them wherever we can.

528 years ago today there was a hell of a scrap on that field in Bosworth.

According to the scholars, Richard spent very little time in York, His title of Duke of York, meant as little about the city, as it does to the Duke of York today.

The Plantagenet Alliance are merely a bunch of know nothing humbugs. Be of with you, serfs! 

I agree with your sentiment .... but he wasn't Duke of York. That was his father (known as Richard of York). Richard III was Duke of Gloucester.

I like you have really got into researching this. It is amazing what people will say to prove they are itk or correct. You're right about twitter etc, its such a shame peoe don't seem to be as questioning anymore. However it is great that there are people like you who try to challenge things a bit more. Keep up the good research.

For me one of the things I found out researching made me realise what at rich history leicester has from that time, e.g henry vi being knighted in leicester (I believe he had big connections before becoming king) Simon de Montfort, cardinal walsey (spelling?), richard iii, the whe lady Jayne grey story etc. all in all it has made me determined to do the little I can to help preserve that history, richard iii is a central part of our history, we are very fond of him, and we need to start showing people that.

It's fascinating the links you find. Just reading through Wiki now and it appears Richard of York (Richard III's Dad) was also knighted in Leicester - so the link between Richard III and Leicester is even stronger!

It's fascinating the links you find. Just reading through Wiki now and it appears Richard of York (Richard III's Dad) was also knighted in Leicester - so the link between Richard III and Leicester is even stronger!

Know that is very interesting, I might have a look into that myself. You're right that would make a very strong link with richard iii.

Know that is very interesting, I might have a look into that myself. You're right that would make a very strong link with richard iii.

According to the scholars, Richard spent very little time in York, His title of Duke of York, meant as little about the city, as it does to the Duke of York today.

The Plantagenet Alliance are merely a bunch of know nothing humbugs. Be of with you, serfs! 

The Plantagenwt Alliiance are a bunch of losers

York is winning so get voting

To be fair when that vote was first posted on Wednesday I think Leicester was on about 12% and York was well over 60%. In just a couple of days we've gone up to 34%.

According to the Oxford DNB he was knighted on Whitsunday 19 May 1426 at Leicester by the young King Henry VI. Parliament was sitting at Leicester castle from 18 February until 1 June.

They have no room for him in York. Because he has not been a resident there for the past 15 years he will be put at the bottom of the waiting list.

YORK CITY COUNCIL (obtained via FOI act)

1. How many one bedroom properties do you have available to Let? tbc

2. How many tenants are deemed to be under-occupying, and needing one bed accommodation? 354

3. How many people are already on the waiting list for one bedroom properties? 2826 CYC applicants - 8569 Sub Regional applicants with one bed need

As an aside Derby put at the bottom of theirs -For your information processing this cost £97 (?) :)

I agree with your sentiment .... but he wasn't Duke of York. That was his father (known as Richard of York). Richard III was Duke of Gloucester.

Praise The Lord. I thought I was going to have to step in and make this correction. Many people seem to be interested in the issue yet can't seem to get their head around this simple fact.

The York claim is not entirely without merit but I think Leicester has a greater claim even without the fact his body was actually buried and dug up here.

There also seems to be a few who have forgotten this is a man's body. Not really right to be squabbling over it in my opinion.

To be honest I think the "right" thing is for him to be buried as though he were a recently deceased monarch, probably that would mean burying him at Windsor Castle as that is where monarchs tend to be buried now. He would probably have expected to be buried at Westminster Abbey.

However if you don't do that then I don't think there is a strong enough argument to move him away from Leicester. Certainly these so called relatives invoking a section of the European Charter of Human Rights to claim they should decide where he is buried is a farce.

To be honest I think the "right" thing is for him to be buried as though he were a recently deceased monarch, probably that would mean burying him at Windsor Castle as that is where monarchs tend to be buried now. He would probably have expected to be buried at Westminster Abbey.

However if you don't do that then I don't think there is a strong enough argument to move him away from Leicester. Certainly these so called relatives invoking a section of the European Charter of Human Rights to claim they should decide where he is buried is a farce.

Isn't that half the problem? People presuming where he should be buried?

Just reading the comments on the history website, can someone get those Yorkists a children's history book they are embarrassingly clueless and just keep repeating historical inaccuracies no matter how often they are corrected.

Its amusing though if you can prevent yourself getting frustrated. It rather ruins some minor good points the Yorkists make.

Archived