Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
theessexfox

Leicester 2-1 Barnsley Post Match

My only slight worry is that we are not killing off teams that well and we should be improving the GD by winning with more goals.

But at the moment 3 points is all i care about.

im not worried by this as the 2 teams automatically promoted last season ground out results,infact hull had a very poor goal difference for a top 2 side and cardiff had a lot of 1 goals deficit wins.

Strange game....

1st half was typical home game against a struggling team, with them packing men behind the ball and looking for the odd break, while we missed several good chances.

Early 2nd half, took a couple of chances, started playing some really good stuff and looked like running riot. Then it almost went horribly wrong...

How many times in the last 20 mins did Barnsley get a man free "in the hole", who was able to pick up the ball, turn and shoot under no pressure whatsoever?!? Was that just a shortage of bodies in midfield or were the centre backs sitting too deep? Probably a bit of both...

I thought King, Drinky, Lloyd & Knocky all played well and the balance was fine for most of the match, then went awry. If opposing teams start getting that much space when we're put on the back foot, I can see Hammond playing quite regularly to counter it.

We are winning yet I still feel we have a couple of gears to go through. The team seems to have a lot more character than last year and the mental strength to see out games and come from behind.

It really does look the disappointment of last season has taught the squad and Nige some valuable lessons. Lets hope this is the season

I agree with those who say this was a win that would have only been a draw in the past couple of seasons.

Pearson has been shrewd in adding vital experience to the squad and this has had a positive impact on our results for me.

This season we genuinely look like the top two contenders our owners have craved, however we are still a striker short for me, as despite Vardy's exemplary work rate he still panics in front of goal and gets pushed off the ball around the box too easily.

I'm wondering if Wood can fill that role as Taylor Fletcher is a number 10 rather than a goal scorer. If Wood cant step up we'll need a new addition for me to complete the jigsaw.

All in all we did enough to deserve the win despite some poor refereeing decisions. Barnsley could bemoan the off side goal that wasn't however we had a blatant penalty on Knockaert turned down in the first half so we can all point to the ref for excuses.

If we carry on in a dominant winning manner we can expect many more teams to turn up at King Power to frustrate their way to a draw, and we'll need that experience and a genuine plausible plan B from our coaching staff to ensure the points continue to mount up.

I really think this could be the season.

Strange game....

1st half was typical home game against a struggling team, with them packing men behind the ball and looking for the odd break, while we missed several good chances.

Early 2nd half, took a couple of chances, started playing some really good stuff and looked like running riot. Then it almost went horribly wrong...

How many times in the last 20 mins did Barnsley get a man free "in the hole", who was able to pick up the ball, turn and shoot under no pressure whatsoever?!? Was that just a shortage of bodies in midfield or were the centre backs sitting too deep? Probably a bit of both...

I thought King, Drinky, Lloyd & Knocky all played well and the balance was fine for most of the match, then went awry. If opposing teams start getting that much space when we're put on the back foot, I can see Hammond playing quite regularly to counter it.

That was my issue and was against Blackburn too. We just stopped closing their defenders and midfielders down. Sure it was winning 'ugly' but it our own fault for us having to do so IMO.

Strange game....

Good assessment. I didn't think we started all that positively though. Their approach, whilst understandable, was frankly an insult to their supporters who paid good money to travel and watch their team make almost no effort to win the game until they managed to score.

In the first half we were patient but for me we didn't break with enough speed. Yet when we did we nearly scored. Our corners were not very threatening either.

At the start of the second half we did play some really good stuff but failed to kill the game off and then it looked like we became complacent and nearly paid for it. The subs should have come on earlier as we were backing off and giving them far too much space in the middle of the pitch.

Good to get the three points though and move on to the next match. We're winning whilst not playing very well which is a good habit to have. I'm still unconvinced by our strike force though and we will need them to keep scoring from open play if we are to get promoted.

Just a side note (haven't read the thread so apologies if it's already been said) but I've picked up a lot of respect for the people around us in SK1. Stewards were getting us to sit down and literally everyone around us was singing in our support, didn't see that one coming, thanks to all of you. Much more like it.

Wasn't vintage but we did enough to win. Dominated the chances but gave their midfield too much space and time on the ball, McCourt was clearly their best player yet we continually allowed him to run at us.

Nugent had a good game, his touch was improved and his link-up play excellent. Most pleasingly, apart from his open play goal, is that his penalty taking is fantastic, three penalties where no keeper could get near them. Also encouraging was a first for Leicester for a long time (if ever) is that we wasted time late on by actually keeping the ball instead of lumping it forward, standing on the edge of our box waiting for opponents to launch it back in. Bringing on James and Hammond helped.

So, nine games gone, 20 points on the board and it seems, early on, that a pack of 7 could break away. Need to continue in the next week and get back to winning ways on the road.

The fans should get credit yesterday too, the patience shown at 0-0 was a far cry from what's gone on before in this type of game. Fair play to all :cool:

Just a side note (haven't read the thread so apologies if it's already been said) but I've picked up a lot of respect for the people around us in SK1. Stewards were getting us to sit down and literally everyone around us was singing in our support, didn't see that one coming, thanks to all of you. Much more like it.

Heard that from the family stand "stand up if you love Leicester" Thought something had kicked of over there.

Overall, a win is a win.

We should of had the game out of sight despite not being our best but my only concern is our inability to 'finish' teams off and then find oursleves hanging on with minutes to go.

I think their only decent player was that McCourt in the middle, everytime he had the ball, he caused us problems and he had the ability to carry it from midfield.

For us, Dyer was immense. Apart from the odd poor final ball (as ever), he was excellent. Caused all sorts of problems but also was impressed how he came deep alot to get the ball and wanted the ball more. How people can say he's not good enough amazes me.

King and Drinkwater were also superb, as they have been so far this season. James and Hammond will struggle to get in.

Konch has been like a new player since he came back in although seem to lose focus for their goal..... shame as otherwise he was excellent too.

I found alot of criticism for De Laet but i thought his workrate was excellent.

People need to realise how much work he puts in..... Often Knocky comes inside so De Laet has alot of ground to work with.

Yes not his best game but easily one of the best RB's in this league

We should of had the game out of sight despite not being our best but my only concern is our inability to 'finish' teams off and then find oursleves hanging on with minutes to go.

Spot on, it's a concern that i hope won't hinder us...

We got away with it against Blackburn, we should have been 4 up against them and ended up holding on! we did the same against Barnsley and just held on! We can't keep doing this because we will end up blowing it in the end, only so much luck you can get!

That was my issue and was against Blackburn too. We just stopped closing their defenders and midfielders down. Sure it was winning 'ugly' but it our own fault for us having to do so IMO.

It is a simple problem and we have had it for years.

When we are in front and looking to close out a game our back 4 drop a few yards deeper pulling our central midfielders back with them, our wide men 'tuck in' to cover their fullback and we concede midfield. 

We give the opposition space to play in front of us and anyone who does try and close down and tackle in midfield is usually on his own and easily bypassed.

Oh, and when we do win the ball we have few options moving the ball forward and get closed down easily.

We have been better at all these things this season, but the problem still surfaces on occasion, as it did saturday but we are more resiliant this season and I we can just find a way to really control our own box, we would be very sound indeed.

It is a simple problem and we have had it for years.

When we are in front and looking to close out a game our back 4 drop a few yards deeper pulling our central midfielders back with them, our wide men 'tuck in' to cover their fullback and we concede midfield. 

We give the opposition space to play in front of us and anyone who does try and close down and tackle in midfield is usually on his own and easily bypassed.

Oh, and when we do win the ball we have few options moving the ball forward and get closed down easily.

We have been better at all these things this season, but the problem still surfaces on occasion, as it did saturday but we are more resiliant this season and I we can just find a way to really control our own box, we would be very sound indeed.

Completely agree with this but why does it happen still? Force of habit from the players? Is Pearson not noticing it himself?

Either way its suicidal

Archived