Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
theessexfox

Leicester 2-1 Barnsley Post Match

Despite the win, I'm not overly pleased.

We made it a lot harder, than it should of been. We were all over them for most of the game, but instead of taking chances and shooting, we tried to walk it into the net too often. Then Barnsley started to have good spells, where they just were allowed to walk through our midfield, and get some shots on target from range. King and Drinkwater on the ball and defensively played well, but they allowed Barnsley to open up, due to poor positioning. Also yet again, if it wasn't for Kasper we would of drawn, world class save from a set piece header.

All in all, we played quite well, but the last ten minutes, was hard to watch.

No real stand out performances today, Nugent obviously did well scoring two goals, one thankfully from open play. Defence was solid again, and it needed to be, I thought De Laet in particular had a good game today.

Roll on Cider Land.

Thought De Laet was our worst player though agree with much of this. Drinkwater was positive and he is much better for it. GTF showed some classy touches when he came on too. We're finding a way to win.

Don't think we played bad at all they just made it hard for us. Nice for Nuge to get one from open play, hopefully it might shut the idiots up who will criticise at the slightest opportunity.

3 points the most important thing by far.

Good analysis KF, apart from DeLaet, whose final ball today, I thought was shocking.

Dyer was MOTM for me today.

Thought De Laet was our worst player though agree with much of this. Drinkwater was positive and he is much better for it. GTF showed some classy touches when he came on too. We're finding a way to win.

I just thought he got forward a lot today, some of his balls were crap, but even the best right-backs hit shit crosses from time to time. But as I said he got forward a lot today, and made some very direct and good runs.

But one reason in particular, why I thought he had a good game, was his defensive play, much more assured today, defensively he isn't the best, but today I thought he did well, one tackle in particular towards the end of the game, was timed to perfection.

Pre match it was obvious Barnsley would put 11 behind the ball, so it was never going to be a great spectacle, but we did a steady job till the second goal, then we either took the foot off the gas, got complacent or got very leggy, not sure what it was.

My only complaint about the game is even before the goal we look tired, I think due to the amount of running first half trying to get past their 11 defenders, but we seemed slow in making the changes, and I think it nearly cost us.

After the changes we seemed to calm down and get control again, but for decent periods I could see them nicking a point.

A good 3 points and keeping up with the early pace setters in the league, and hopefully we can get something out of the next two away games.

Gonna be honest today. I thought they were the worst side we've seen down here this season and I'm surprised the margin of victory wasn't larger.

A win is a win and last season we could have lost that game.

I thought Pearson was naive today. It was clear they were coming back into the game and he should have made the subs 10 mins earlier. They made three chances during that period when they could have scored.

All in all, I'm glad we won, but we did it the hard way IMO.

Yes, I thought Nige was spot on with the personnel he subbed, but was surprised too that he didn't bring them on 10-15 mins earlier when we were coming under pressure.  He's been quicker to react so far this season.  ( I should admit that I'm basing my judgements on Stringer's commentary, tho).

Don't think we played bad at all they just made it hard for us. Nice for Nuge to get one from open play, hopefully it might shut the idiots up who will criticise at the slightest opportunity.

3 points the most important thing by far.

I think the stats show that Nugent's been poor for more than "the slightest opportunity". I'm glad that he took his opportunity though, will hopefully give him the bit of confidence in front of goal that he has been lacking this season.

As well as not bothering to dive for it.

I think his weight was on his wrong foot for him to be able to dive, not him "not bothering". Come on now, this is Kasper, does he really strike you as one who wouldn't bother to dive?!

Good win.

There's a little gap opening up with the top 6 now and, Burnley maybe dropping out aside, I can't see the teams in that group changing too much so it's important to keep pace and hold our position within that group. Someone will start to pull away in the next couple of months (QPR imo) and it's important to try and keep pace with them.

I don't think we were particularly poor today, just a bit naive at times. We were clearly the superior team and had more possession but we weren't wise enough with the ball until Pearson changed the shape a little at the break. When you have a team set up with a bank of 4 and 5 in front of you there's going to be lots of time and space for your defenders on the ball. Too often we looked to cross from deep or hoisted it forward instead of taking the ball forward and pulling them out of shape. A switch to a narrow midfield diamond 4 and the full backs pushing on more down the sides of this diamond certainly changed this for the second half.

I don't think there were any real stand-out performers today. Knockaert was good, Schmeichel saved us two points and Vardy was a handfull again (winning another penalty). The most important thing was to come through it as a team and we had the added option of being able to throw the older heads of Hammond and GTF on who were certainly that bit wiser in helping us to the win.

The Yeovil game on Tuesday is probably about the equivelent of Huddersfield away last season when we really started to hit our stride having not picked up a great many points by that point. This time around we sit in 3rd with plenty of points amassed and having shown glimpses of both being able to win ugly and having a bit of quality about us. It feels like that team of last season is maturing and if we can come out of the next two games with 4 points then we'll have had an excellent start and have laid the foundations for a quality campaign.

I just thought he got forward a lot today, some of his balls were crap, but even the best right-backs hit shit crosses from time to time. But as I said he got forward a lot today, and made some very direct and good runs.

But one reason in particular, why I thought he had a good game, was his defensive play, much more assured today, defensively he isn't the best, but today I thought he did well, one tackle in particular towards the end of the game, was timed to perfection.

The slide tackle from behind/the side? Agreed.

Quality player IMO. I swear we have to really really look for the tiniest things sometimes to create a thread (see the De Laet thread)

Didn't play particularly well, but who cares, I'll always take a poor performance aslong as we win, playing well is nice, but results are the most important thing.

How many times have we come away saying we've battered an opposition but had nothing to show for it.

Another positive is today is a game we would have drew or lost in the past, you could say the same about the two games coming up, hopefully we can get a decent return points wise out of those too. I'm looking at a 4 points.

Think Vardy needs to grow his hair again though, he was quite poor today (Compared to recent performances), but like when he came good and I said 1 games doesn't make him a great players, he needs several good games to win me back and prove me wrong - which he has, today's poor performance doesn't make him a poor player, just don't let it happen to often - De Laet has a very heavy first touch, but listen i'm singling players out for the sake of it, no-one was amazing for us today but we got a result and that's all that matters!

The slide tackle from behind/the side? Agreed.

Quality player IMO. I swear we have to really really look for the tiniest things sometimes to create a thread (see the De Laet thread)

There were a couple of slide tackles  lol

But the one towards the end of the game, think it was Rose who broke through, near the side if De Laet didn't make that excellent tackle, he would of been clean through. 

Overall thought we deserved the 3 points. Lacked a bit of tempo in the first half and at times we could do with being more incisive instead of always looking for the pass. On the whole though, considering how defensive Barnsley were until we scored I thought we created some good opportunities. Nice to see that we're not being bullied out of the game as well, I remember last year that they physically out-did us home and away. This year we seem to have a bit more steel about us, as well as more confidence and better decision-making. 

The table is looking tight at the top right now but if we carry on in this vein I see no reason why can't firmly keep ourselves in this position. 

Take that every day of the week. Thought Schmeichel could have come for the ball for their goal but by the time it reached Scotland's head it was too late.

Thought everyone put in a shift today, would have loved Vardy to score though, reassuring that he's getting himself into the positions for chances, just needs to convert them.

Archived