Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest CityFan 06

'When Your Smiling' at KP.

Guest bss9401

I'm prepared to be shouted at and abused but why is it our anthem and why have I never heard it at the club, is it a anthem that some fans have picked because surely if the club had picked it they would play it

Been our anthem since the sixties. Most teams have one. In was awesome in the 80's when it was full voice in pen 2/3 and at away games. It will always be the anthem for me and any Foxes fan of my generation. The club tried with Jersey Budd's version but it needs to be in tune with the earlier recorded versions; ie Armstrong or Sinatra to be a success at the KP.

I do envy clubs like Liverpool and West Ham that have decent songs associated with them.

Nothing wrong with WYS, it's our fans who refuse to sing it passionately that are the problem.

You'll never walk alone and I'm forever blowing bubbles would both sound shit as well if their fans sang it as out of tune and as quickly as possible (almost as if they are embarrassed to hold a long note because they think it's gay) like ours do.

Can you invite him on here, just to hear the fans view, we accept we have to have pre match music (well some of us do), but it would be nice if they took some input from the fans.

I know he's not too keen on fan forums as he took a bit of grief on one a couple of years back to do with what he does at the club, but I could see if he'd mind if I passed on his works email address to one person on here?

I know there are people within the club who want to improve the atmosphere in the ground and have regular meetings about it, the problem as far as I'm aware is though that he's the only genuine city fan that is involved in them!

It was a good start emailing the club though as if it reaches the right person then I think you'll have more chance of making something happen than what you probably think

I know he's not too keen on fan forums as he took a bit of grief on one a couple of years back to do with what he does at the club, but I could see if he'd mind if I passed on his works email address to one person on here?

I know there are people within the club who want to improve the atmosphere in the ground and have regular meetings about it, the problem as far as I'm aware is though that he's the only genuine city fan that is involved in them!

It was a good start emailing the club though as if it reaches the right person then I think you'll have more chance of making something happen than what you probably think

He doesn't have to join, just point him in the direction of the forum, or even start a thread about improving atmosphere/match day music and then direct him towards it.

Most people hate Hey Jude, and would much rather have our anthem played before the match like they do at other grounds.

It's a fvcking awful, cringeworthy song. That's why it has never caught on. "When you're smiling the whole world smiles with you"? Sounds like some god-awful nursery rhyme you'd find being taught to toddlers at some fcked up rural Christian brainwashing camp. Doesn't exactly capture the cut and thrust of terrace life.

I know the chap who picks/plays the music personally, .. Think he just pretty much picks what he wants nowadays (no club directives)

When I suggested not playing any music just prior to kick off ( or even just not playing it so loud) due to it killing any atmosphere he said the club think they need to play it due to us being unable to create our own!

You suggested not playing music to the person who picks and plays the music? Bet that went down well with him, #on the dole!

It's a fvcking awful, cringeworthy song. That's why it has never caught on. "When you're smiling the whole world smiles with you"? Sounds like some god-awful nursery rhyme you'd find being taught to toddlers at some fcked up rural Christian brainwashing camp. Doesn't exactly capture the cut and thrust of terrace life.

What club anthems do then?

Pretty much all of them are just old pop songs.

I think the lyrics are great, they're about positivity and belief - exactly the sort of attitude our fans should have.

It sounds better faster. We sung it when Leeds came to our place and it was dreary and slow tbh. Jersey budd tried but no one bothered!

Only heard it sound really good once and that was villa in the cup a few years back when our keeper saved 2 pens in one game. Henderson? We sang it at a good speed that night.

It sounds better faster. We sung it when Leeds came to our place and it was dreary and slow tbh. Jersey budd tried but no one bothered!

Only heard it sound really good once and that was villa in the cup a few years back when our keeper saved 2 pens in one game. Henderson? We sang it at a good speed that night.

Disagree completely. When sung fast it just sounds like any other chant. Where as YNWA and the like are sung slowly and with pride.

Disagree completely. When sung fast it just sounds like any other chant. Where as YNWA and the like are sung slowly and with pride.

Yep. Of course it's going to sound shit if we're singing along to the Jersey Budd version.

It should be sung slowly, and in tune. It only sounds drab because we don't sing it in tune. We don't sing anything in tune.

Anyone who was at the play-off final defeats to blackburn and swindon and thinks 30k singing WYS sounds shit is a ****ing idiot.

I love it because it's ours. My 3 y/o knows it word perfect because to me it's our song.

Just cuz our fans can't learn a song with more than 3 words or jersey budd murdered it. Doesn't make it shit.

Not convinced Jersey Budd murdered it.

I've grown up in an era where it's been sung well about as many times as I can count on one hand. I think the reason people aren't keen in general is because it's never been anything other than average.

If thousands sung it like THIS;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_INAw0lLJc

It would be fvcking terrific.

I don't think he murdered it. but he missed the opportunity to record it as a terrace anthem, real shame as his version is not bad, just not how we sing it.

Fair comment.

Question is how are we suddenly going to get everyone to start singing it slow ? Unless we have a recorded version like that played before a game where everyone sings it won't happen.

The more people individually sing it slow, the more chance there is of it catching on to be sung at a proper tempo.

I've never ever understand why people sing songs so quickly. It's like a race to see who can finish first lol

That Jersey Budd bloke sang it live before a game a few weeks ago, and no one paid attention.

I think the club have done their bit on this already.

Because it's a ****ing terrible version sung by a local amateur, with Gally and Wellens for backing.

Awful. I rarely get all Calcio Moderno but that cover is grade A, plastic shit.

If Budd was an actual fan he'd have the bollocks to tell the club that and stop showboating.

Er, Glad All Over? Sunshine on Leith? Lord's My Shepherd?

Because it's a ****ing terrible version sung by a local amateur, with Gally and Wellens for backing.

Awful. I rarely get all Calcio Moderno but that cover is grade A, plastic shit.

If Budd was an actual fan he'd have the bollocks to tell the club that and stop showboating.

Then someone needs to tell the club the right version to play and get them to bang it out pre match.

The rest will be up to all of us.

I'M FOREVER BLOWING BUBBLES

PRETTY BUBBLES IN THE AIR,

THEY FLY SO HIGH

NEARLY REACH THE SKY

THEN LIKE MY DREAMS, THEY FADE AND DIE

FORTUNE'S ALWAYS HIDING!

I'VE LOOKED EVERYWHERE!

I'M FOREVER BLOWING BUBBLES,

PRETTY BUBBLES IN THE AIR!

It captured the cut and thrust when there was more gong on on the terraces than either you know or care to remember. You critisise it now, basically calling it lame and not worth singing in our sterile all seater theatre, when back in the days of terraces we were happy to sing it, and sang it loud and proud at every home game. I'd say the atmosphere now would be more suitable to some "god-awful nursery rhyme". It's our song, peculiar to us. I wish we'd embrace it, slow it down and sing it like we used to.

It captured the cut and thrust when there was more gong on on the terraces than either you know or care to remember. You critisise it now, basically calling it lame and not worth singing in our sterile all seater theatre, when back in the days of terraces we were happy to sing it, and sang it loud and proud at every home game. I'd say the atmosphere now would be more suitable to some "god-awful nursery rhyme". It's our song, peculiar to us. I wish we'd embrace it, slow it down and sing it like we used to.

Yeah, fair point. I was thinking about this yesterday. Maybe people on the terraces back then were a lot more drunk than they are today? I'm sure it sounds great when you're hammered and slurring your way through it.

I don't know, I just don't like the song, it seems far too camp to ever sing with any real conviction.

Yeah, fair point. I was thinking about this yesterday. Maybe people on the terraces back then were a lot more drunk than they are today? I'm sure it sounds great when you're hammered and slurring your way through it.

I don't know, I just don't like the song, it seems far too camp to ever sing with any real conviction.

Read Bilo's post.

Then go hang around East London making your point. ;)

Archived