Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mr.X

What is the last song you cried to ?

I've only ever heard the Davie Arthur Fureys version .

Just had a look at Wiki and hadn't realised there were so many . I'll give that version a try, but it's the lyrics that really get to me. I nearly blubbed when I heard someone do a karaoke version in an irish bar in Lanzarote  :D

Here's a Youtube link to the recorded Men they couldn't hang version (live versions available, too): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kr6OzLJrS2k

You're right that Bogle's lyrics are the main thing, but I reckon this version has more genuine feeling than any other version that I've heard - and the angry (but not preachy) ending adds something, I think.

Maybe it also meant more to me as the first time that I heard it (1984ish on John Peel) was my first night back in England after 3 months youthful wandering around France. Two years back, I walked from Ypres to Paeschendaele (green fields of Belgium, admittedly!) - it took me 3 hours, whereas it took them 3 years in WW1 and countless thousands dead. It was eery walking along between the tranquil green fields, aware of what had happened 100 years ago and what might be below the surface.

Incidentally, the Men they couldn't hang reformed some years back and play The Musician occasionally, though last time that I saw them they didn't play Green Fields (probably hard to keep doing it justice over so many years - they always used to finish their set with it).

Bizarrely, the last song that had me weeping was "Last thing on my mind" by Steps!

There is a good reason for that, as it was played at my closest mate's funeral 10 months ago. He grew up in the punk/post-punk era like me, but we also shared a liking for good quality, catchy bubblegum pop - and the Steps song was firmly in that category for both of us. He requested it at his funeral, together with Wreckless Eric's "Final Taxi", Warren Zevon's "My ride ends here" and Katrina & the Waves "Walking on sunshine" (sorry, Glenn, there wasn't time for Townes Van Zandt as well!).

Sadly, his death wasn't the last thing that I was expecting as he'd been drinking himself to death for years (while fundamentally remaining the interesting, provocative, loyal and original friend he'd been since I met him in 1980, when I was 18 and he was 23). I'd hoped that we'd end up side by side outside the nursing home in our bath chairs, arguing about economics, women and the influence of post-punk, but it wasn't to be. His family asked me to recite some Jacques Brel lyrics at his funeral and I managed to do that without blubbing, but the Steps song was too much.

Mind you, a couple of drinks and an emotional song can be enough to set me off. It's in the genes, as my Dad's a terror for getting tearful, even at something as abstract as the passing of time...

Yes that is a very good version of Sir Alf  :thumbup:

You probably know this Rita McNeil song . About very different hardships suffered by our recent ancestors.

Perhaps not quite so horrific as being in the trenches , but when we consider this was their whole working life , I'd say these two forms of hell are not that different .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvFqVgz1AGo

We live in a golden age in many respects .

Tindersticks - Tiny Tears

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZE9yGJSb1Q

YES!

+1 for Joy Division, but -1 for PSB. You remain on zero.

Never heard that one by Flaming Lips before. Thanks! :)

i dont cry to no song because i aint no gay

So many double negatives.

I haven't slept for the last two nights, and have had a couple of cheeky bevies on my tod, so defences are down, but shit the bed, that's a breaker. Brilliant song.

I'll put it down to being a hormonal teenager!

Archived