Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
brisfox

Best Stadium in the Championship

They've got one decent stand- the trent end. The rest of the ground is dated. As already mentioned the concourse area shocking.

As much as fans may hate modern day stadia, nobody can deny moving away from filbert street was a bad idea. It was holding the club back, as MON used to say- he had to back prospective new signings out of the carling stand. So the KP looks generic? So what? It offers far more in ways of attendance, corporate events, hospitality and other revenue streams we wouldn't have if we were in an 'old fashioned' stadium.

Holding the club back? Since leaving it we've spent one year out of eleven in the top flight and even then we went down. I'd argue the spending on this ground itself held us back as much as anything.

They've got one decent stand- the trent end. The rest of the ground is dated. As already mentioned the concourse area shocking.

As much as fans may hate modern day stadia, nobody can deny moving away from filbert street was a bad idea. It was holding the club back, as MON used to say- he had to back prospective new signings out of the carling stand. So the KP looks generic? So what? It offers far more in ways of attendance, corporate events, hospitality and other revenue streams we wouldn't have if we were in an 'old fashioned' stadium.

What's wrong with the Clough stand? Lovely stand. Nothing wrong with the away end either.

Concourse Shmoncourse. I could not care less what that part of the ground is like.

I do think moving from Filbo was the right idea, I've not said otherwise. But that's not the point. The point is they replaced it with a piece of shit.

All the things you mentioned are a) of secondary importance to me as a fan, and b) achievable anyway if they had built us a much nicer ground.

This this and this. We could have had something amazing. Would of cost a lot more though I imagine...

I remember those plans, wasn't it two tiers the whole way round!?

Almost best way I can describe it was on the exterior and interior very similar to the main executive stands at Derby and Middlesborough but the same all the way round the structure, 40,000 capacity

Almost best way I can describe it was on the exterior and interior very similar to the main executive stands at Derby and Middlesborough but the same all the way round the structure, 40,000 capacity

So if the club had chosen that design instead of what we have, at present every other seat in the ground would be unused.

A bit like MK Dons now then.

Nothing wrong we what we have, a lot of clubs would give their right arm for our ground.

One criticism is the stands are a lot further from the pitch, but this is the same every where now.

Health and safety, security reasons I don't know maybe that's why we aren't on top of the touch line nowadays at grounds.

The queues for the train after the game were a nightmare! Surely they could just have more trains ready for the fans after the game? There were enough platforms free at Brighton station.

We left early to avoid the queues. Could see it was going to be a nightmare beforehand.

Couldn't be doing with that everyweek!

So if the club had chosen that design instead of what we have, at present every other seat in the ground would be unused.

Nothing wrong we what we have, a lot of clubs would give their right arm for our ground.

One criticism is the stands are a lot further from the pitch, but this is the same every where now.

Health and safety, security reasons I don't know maybe that's why we aren't on top of the touch line nowadays at grounds.

For a start the club didn't choose the current design over the Bede Island design it was chosen because the original was refused planning, also as well to assume we would be in the same position with the same attendance is a unlikely assumption. For example based on our current attendances we would sell out Filbert St every week, but before at Filbert St we wouldn't sell out every game in the 2nd tier. Bigger and better stadiums often attract more fans and better calibre of players, look at Swansea, Cardiff and Hull now and where they were 10 years ago.

Would take Forest's stadium over our's in an instant. There's just so much more character and history to it. None of the club's finest moments have happened at the KP and unfortunately, until we have some real success there (promotions, premier league successes, etc) it will remain fairly soulless, there's no sentiment to it.

Holding the club back? Since leaving it we've spent one year out of eleven in the top flight and even then we went down. I'd argue the spending on this ground itself held us back as much as anything.

Have to disagree there. I think the reckless spending under Tater Peeler is the reason behind our fall from grace.

Even poor attendances at the KP are larger than we could manage at FS. All extra revenue for the club.

I'd give my right arm for most other British grounds.

What club of a similar size to ours would swap their ground with ours? They'd have to be fvcking mental.

Forest want to build a new stadium themselves,a 50,000 seater,you can be sure that that if they were to move,then there new stadium would be lifeless aswell,the kp has a shit atmosphere because of where the kop us allocated,if like filberts street away fans were sandwiched in between the east stand and kop,and families the opposit end,I think the atmosphere would be great,but it ain't gonna happen?

In the mists of time, people forget how desperate we were at the time to get out of Filbert Street - players, managers and fans were embarrassed by it (cue Martin O'Neill's famous quote about telling new signings to walk backwards out of the Carling Stand so they didn't see the East Stand opposite) and it was unanimously agreed we needed to move to somewhere larger. Facilities were crappy, capacity only 22k, concourses were run down, views poor in several places and the East Stand was actually a joke. When a ball can be booted into someone's garden, it doesn't smack of a top tier professional club - it was proper small time. Imagine if we were still there now, there would be daily demonstrations against the board. None of this is to say I don't have fond memories of some highlights, but it's ridiculous for anyone to be wishing we were still there.

The Riverside is the best ground in the league IMO. It might be half empty every game but it's still a lovely stadium, both inside and out. Love the Ayresome Park gates outside, wish we'd done something similar with Filbert Street.

Nice idea - what would you have saved? The broken scoreboard? The terraced houses along one side? The electricity pylons behind the double decker? Bernie???

I'm sure someone with a bit of imagination and genuine interest in the history of the club could have made use of this. It could have been incorporated as the entrance to the museum that was promised but never materialised. 

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/davieg/LastDayAtFilbertSt/filbertst.jpg

Archived