Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

Do you believe in Psychics? (NOT physics)!

I have every faith in Alakazam and Sigilyph. Unown can eat a dick though.

What about Slowbro - that guy was a badass.

Anyway, Matts right when he says they're conmen. They prey on the vulnerable with false promises, saying what they want to hear. There's absolutely nothing to it - it's simple cold reading - make a few vague guesses and gauge their responses to make more guesses - there's no actual ability to it.

of course it is.

Find a market. Exploit it. Make money.

The market only exists because some people believe in it which is absolutely their right. Would you prefer that someone is given the power to decide what people are allowed to believe? That wouldn't be very liberal would it.

The market only exists because some people believe in it which is absolutely their right. Would you prefer that someone is given the power to decide what people are allowed to believe? That wouldn't be very liberal would it.

I'm not arguing.

It's a market.

What about Slowbro - that guy was a badass.

Anyway, Matts FiF's  right when he says they're conmen. They prey on the vulnerable with false promises, saying what they want to hear. There's absolutely nothing to it - it's simple cold reading - make a few vague guesses and gauge their responses to make more guesses - there's no actual ability to it.

Went to one once (for a joke / peer pressure cos everyone else did) and it was a load of shit. She told me that I shouldn't blame myself for my dad disappearing and not being there for me. Piss off I see him far too much as it is! :whistle:

I've known quite a few people who've been to see them, had consultations or whatever.  I see them a bit like religious people.  They may come across as quite normal, intelligent people until they mention God/psychics...........you don't believe that shit do you?  I thought you were alright as well, but now I'm not so sure?

Just wondering what the views of you good folks are of psychics.

Are they charlatans (as I believe)? Or do they provide a form of relief for those who have lost and miss loved ones?

Charlatans who provide a form of relief, I'd say.....on a par with booze, drugs and faith in deities in softening the hard edges of reality... As a hard-boiled atheist who believes that we end with our physical deaths (aside from memories of us maybe living on for a few years), I prefer booze as my "edge-softener", but wouldn't want to criticise people for taking solace in psychics - or religion - provided they're not too preachy or bigoted about it.

I had a strange experience a few years back, though. You know how sometimes, as you're waking up, dreams can blend into real waking life? I found myself waking up with the "knowledge" that my long-dead grandparents were still alive....nothing particular was happening, they were just there alive. I was fully awake for at least 10 minutes before I realised that it wasn't true and that they were still bones in a Sheffield graveyard....a sad moment, but I wouldn't have missed that experience for the world. Rational thought tells me that it was just the useful function of dreams - allowing us to address issues and come to terms with things (e.g. the reality that my grandparents were dead). It felt very beneficial, anyway.

I can quite relate to phenomena like the Mexican "Day of the Dead", when they hold vigils at the gravesides of dead family members, performing rituals and feeling that they can commune with them.....sometimes delusions can be useful, even necessary.

Charlatans who provide a form of relief, I'd say.....on a par with booze, drugs and faith in deities in softening the hard edges of reality... As a hard-boiled atheist who believes that we end with our physical deaths (aside from memories of us maybe living on for a few years), I prefer booze as my "edge-softener", but wouldn't want to criticise people for taking solace in psychics - or religion - provided they're not too preachy or bigoted about it.

I had a strange experience a few years back, though. You know how sometimes, as you're waking up, dreams can blend into real waking life? I found myself waking up with the "knowledge" that my long-dead grandparents were still alive....nothing particular was happening, they were just there alive. I was fully awake for at least 10 minutes before I realised that it wasn't true and that they were still bones in a Sheffield graveyard....a sad moment, but I wouldn't have missed that experience for the world. Rational thought tells me that it was just the useful function of dreams - allowing us to address issues and come to terms with things (e.g. the reality that my grandparents were dead). It felt very beneficial, anyway.

I can quite relate to phenomena like the Mexican "Day of the Dead", when they hold vigils at the gravesides of dead family members, performing rituals and feeling that they can commune with them.....sometimes delusions can be useful, even necessary.

Mine are in Tynsley, maybe they're neighbours?

Mine are in Tynsley, maybe they're neighbours?

Abbey Lane my pair, I believe. I've never visited and should do so. Once, in tandem with a football match, I visited their old house and the parks that we used to go to, but I really should go to their grave some day soon....without a psychic, though!

Abbey Lane my pair, I believe. I've never visited and should do so. Once, in tandem with a football match, I visited their old house and the parks that we used to go to, but I really should go to their grave some day soon....without a psychic, though!

Ah t'other side of town.

My grandmother died when my mother was 8 and she told me that she never knew where she was buried. I found her in Tynsley and was able to take her there when she was in her 80's,  Quite a moving affair.

I know the paranormal should be a load of bollocks but I get quite agitated by spooky buildings.

I know the paranormal should be a load of bollocks but I get quite agitated by spooky buildings.

I'm a complete skeptic but that doesn't stop me getting a bit freaked out when I'm in the building my missus works in. It's a converted mansion and invariably we end up going there to pick some files up or something after dark when there's no other f***er there. There's a long history of spooky stories and supposed happenings there which are difficult to forget when you're in there, particularly at night

Anyone hear that quote from the Phone Hacking trial where they said the News of the World's astrologer was getting more than £200,000 a year?

Kind of made me want to become an astrologer. I mean, how hard can it be?

Anyone hear that quote from the Phone Hacking trial where they said the News of the World's astrologer was getting more than £200,000 a year?

Kind of made me want to become an astrologer. I mean, how hard can it be?

Capricorn:  Retrograde Saturn means it's a great time for those born under the sign of the goat to give their wheelie bin a good clean.  A chance meeting with a former member of Bronski Beat could equal a cash windfall and unexplained weight loss.  Single?  Romance wears burgundy chinos and has a chest tattoo of Bill Turnbull.

Piece of piss.  That'll be £200,000, please

From LM:

Amateur ghost hunters claim to have made contact with the spirit of someone called Richard during a séance at a house with connections to Richard III.

The 12 members of Haunted Heritage recorded the spooky encounter at Donington le Heath Manor House last year, but said they did not want to publicise it at the time due to the furore surrounding the discovery of the remains of the king.

Medium Gill Hibbert, 56, from Coalville, said the name Richard was especially significant because the group was standing next to the bed in which the Plantagenet monarch was reported to have spent his last night before riding out to meet his end at Bosworth in 1485.

The audio clip clearly captures a man's voice saying "Richard" in response to the question, "what is your name?"

Read more: http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Did-ghost-hunters-raise-Richard-III/story-20963422-detail/story.html#ixzz2z3bCUH6M

Archived