Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Grandad.

England Cricket 2014.

Guest MattP

:unsure: Eek is my response to the squad this morning, some promise but fcuk me what a long slog this could be to get back to the top.

Alastair Cook (Essex, capt), Moeen Ali (Worcestershire), James Anderson (Lancashire), Gary Ballance (Yorkshire), Ian Bell (Warwickshire), Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire), Chris Jordan (Sussex), Liam Plunkett (Yorkshire), Matt Prior (Sussex, wk), Sam Robson (Middlesex), Joe Root (Yorkshire), Chris Woakes (Warwickshire).

Side I'd expect.

Cook

Robson

Bell

Ballance

Root

Ali

Prior

Broad

Jordan

Plunkett

Anderson

I knew we would severly miss Swanny when he retired but if Moeen Ali as a part time spinner is now our first choice turning option we are in some serious trouble. Panesar is going to have to do the gig for me despite everything he represents on the cricket pitch. :(

Plunkett eh? Just noticed this, how's he been performing in county cricket? Have Finn, Tredwell, Bresnan, Rankin all been overlooked, or are they injured?

Interesting to see how he gets on, was very underwhelmed when he was last in the England fold.

Plunkett eh? Just noticed this, how's he been performing in county cricket? Have Finn, Tredwell, Bresnan, Rankin all been overlooked, or are they injured?

Interesting to see how he gets on, was very underwhelmed when he was last in the England fold.

Rather not see Rankin bowl for England ever again. 

Nice to see Root and Prior both in the runs. They've both needed a score. Puts us on top after day 1.

Yep great effort, glad to see root back at number 5 where he should be, and very important for Prior after his nightmare in aus.

Fast and as an impact bowler. Gillespie has been using him as his 90mph strike bowler.

When he first came into the England squad he was probably too young, and it was an era when we were a bit obsessed with bowling biomechanics and we messed his action around too much.

Very good second half of the day after a poor start.

Yep great effort, glad to see root back at number 5 where he should be, and very important for Prior after his nightmare in aus.

Agree mate, hopefully Prior can kick on and get a century. Be nice to get 500 from here. Maybe a bit too much to ask though.

Really hope these two can kick on this morning and not do the very typical English way and both the over night batsman get out in the first 5 overs of the day. 

Prior looked really good yesterday I thought, timing of the ball was brilliant. Jordan and Broad still both to come in as well and give it a wack. Liam Plunkett has a 44* to his name as well. Depth. 

Couldn't agree more.. 350-360 target is always a tough ask in a 4th innings at Lords. Could and should have had an extra 10 overs at them!

Still not convinced about Cook as captain. Certainly the extra responsibility has affected his form within the side in general.

Suppose we got spoiled a bit when Strauss was 'skipper'. Always going to be a thankless task succeeding him, but Cook appears to be the complete antithesis of Strauss.....

Strauss was proactive, decisive and led from the front.....Made mistakes on occasions but rarely 'swerved' the blame!

Cook is noticeably far more reserved and cautious. I said during the Ashes debacle that he seemed content to lead from the rear....I stand by that!

Some decent signs in this test though. Root's 200 and Ballance's 'ton' will give both of them a real boost. Jordan seemed to slot in well and Moeen, though a bit wayward, showed enough to merit another chance.   

Cook is just following the formula set by Strauss, very similar captaincy styles, lead by Flower, the difference was Strauss had greater weapons at his disposal with more players in their prime, such as Swann, KP, Prior, Trott and more experience to fall back on.

Since Cook took over, Prior has been dog shit, and that has had such an impact on our ability in tests, he was great at leading the counter attack, and dug us out of some holes when the top order failed, along with Swann and Broad. Swann has now retired, KP dropped, Trott is out of consideration and I think it was wrong of Strauss to retire completely he should have stuck around a bit longer to help Cook.

Cook has had to preside over a huge amount of upheaval, 3 debutants in this test, and Ballance making only his second test appearance, at least 5 players made their debuts in the Ashes series down under, Stokes, Rankin, Borthwick, Carberry, Ballance.

This will hopefully be the making of Cook as a Captain, but he needs to come through this, and start making some runs, he was a lot more proactive in his field settings against Sri Lanka and I think that working with Moore will help as Flower has always had a caution first approach.

Archived