Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Grandad.

England Cricket 2014.

The problem with English spinners in county cricket is a lot of the time they are just used to contain the opposition or hold an end up, every county has at least 2 spinners on their books but how many of them are any good? English pitches generally are supposedly not helpful to spinners but a quality spinner will turn the ball on anything.

That was in the middle of us winning an Ashes series very comfortably.

I've changed my mind because it's clearly affecting his game and needs a break from the pressure, this is a new team and will take time to bed in.

I think that series probably glossed over the fact he is a poor captain due to our ever poorer batting. Don't get me wrong when in form he is a great batter but he isn't a very attacking captain and i feel he makes bad fielding placements and not great bowling changes. The fact we were able to make runs in our home Ashes series uncovered these more.

Two of the three wins were comfortable, only really the first Test where we seriously looked like losing. Obviously nowhere near as convincing as the win Down Under in 2011 or the whitewash in the winter.

Cook had Swann to call on last summer, as well as Trott at number three and KP. They are huge losses for the team and this is where the leader needs to come to the fore. It's not happening, and Cook is rattled which is harming himself and the team.

As harpenden says, it's a tough call with who to turn to, but a change is required.

As good as it was to beat them lot mate, it was flattering. 

Should of lost at Trent Bridge, got very lucky. 

Rain saved us at Old Trafford and Durham could of gone either way because of weather. 

As good as it was to beat them lot mate, it was flattering. 

Should of lost at Trent Bridge, got very lucky. 

Rain saved us at Old Trafford and Durham could of gone either way because of weather. 

I think you mean to say we were f...ing pathetic in that series.

I think that series probably glossed over the fact he is a poor captain due to our ever poorer batting. Don't get me wrong when in form he is a great batter but he isn't a very attacking captain and i feel he makes bad fielding placements and not great bowling changes. The fact we were able to make runs in our home Ashes series uncovered these more.

This is just like listening to the commentary on the telly..you should go for a job with Sky!

I regret to say I agree though, regret because I love cook, he seems like a good bloke, don't really like his batting style, he's a bit unorthodox but not in the Australian way, as in the awkward, unbalanced left handed way, great run scorer mind, he scores a shed load of runs and you can't nock him for that! Not a great captain though bless him, seems out of his depth a lot when faced with tough decisions, but a good cricketer none the less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is just like listening to the commentary on the telly..you should go for a job with Sky!

I regret to say I agree though, regret because I love cook, he seems like a good bloke, don't really like his batting style, he's a bit unorthodox but not in the Australian way, as in the awkward, unbalanced left handed way, great run scorer mind, he scores a shed load of runs and you can't nock him for that! Not a great captain though bless him, seems out of his depth a lot when faced with tough decisions, but a good cricketer none the less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure if you are having a go or not lol

Guest MattP

Sad loss, great to see so much fight though.

Some positives, long tough series against India ahead though, big time for Cook as well, his run scoring against indian has been superb of late and he has to recapture the form. It;s the perfect attack for him and if he fails here we have to look at what is clearly a serious problem.

Without Agar's 98 it wouldn't have been so close.

It was considerably more than just Agar's 98 as the final wicket partnership was 160+, so in reality it would have been a walloping! 

Have the ECB given up with Simon Kerrigan?

Imagine he'll still be on their radar, but introducing him in a major series where the whole squad's under pressure might just set his yips off again.

The bloke's talented though, if they can sort his head out he'll be an England regular one day.

Guest MattP

Kerrigan was a strange one, had done nothing to earn his place really and just thrown into an Ashes series.

We're going to need a spinner it's a simple as that. Monty is just going to have to stop pissing on people and play for a bit.

Kerrigan was a strange one, had done nothing to earn his place really and just thrown into an Ashes series.

We're going to need a spinner it's a simple as that. Monty is just going to have to stop pissing on people and play for a bit.

Homeless people do need a golden shower you know!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Broadcaster apologises after former England captain and commentator's expletive was picked up by Fox Sports viewers in Australia

Andrew Strauss has issued a profuse apology after being broadcast using the obscene c-word to describe former teammate Kevin Pietersen.

Strauss believed he was off air when he made the offensive comment about Pietersen to fellow commentator Nick Knight during an advsertisment break for viewers in Britain. But it was picked up by Fox Sports online viewers in Australia, for whom coverage was not interrupted.

Strauss said: "I apologise unreservedly, particularly to Kevin Pietersen. I am mortified and profusely sorry." The former England captain was talking to Knight during commentary of MCC's bicentenary match against the Rest of the World at Lord's. Sky had earlier issued their own apology. "Comments were made during a break of play which were heard overseas," Sky tweeted. "We apologise for the language used."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cricket/kevinpietersen/10948593/Andrew-Strauss-caught-on-microphone-calling-Kevin-Pietersen-the-c-word-via-Sky-broadcast-from-Lords.html

Strauss should have come out and said:

"I apologise for any offence caused by the foul language I used. Such language is unacceptable.

I was bang on in my description KP, though, eh?"

;)

Friday and Saturday, weather doesn't look great so should go to a fifth day, we'll probably go to the fifth day too unless it looks like an inevitable crushing defeat.

I've been to about 10 tests, not seen us lose any, we drew one the rest we won, so I'm hoping to keep my streak going, we could do with getting this series off to a good start otherwise the knives will be out for Cook.

Archived