Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Grandad.

England Cricket 2014.

Imagine if KP got out in the manner Cook did today.. 

Been saying for a long while that Cook needs to step aside as captain and concentrate on his batting. Don't know who I would give the captaincy too whilst Cook was concentrating on his batting, probably Bell or Broad, yet I wouldn't add the burden to Bell, maybe drop Cook, Root back as opener and bring Morgan in as captain. 

I got a damn good slagging last summer for suggesting Cook was not Captain material.

Anyone changed their minds now?

(one idea given to him by the coach, when it does not work out he hasn't a clue what to do)

I got a damn good slagging last summer for suggesting Cook was not Captain material.

Anyone changed their minds now?

(one idea given to him by the coach, when it does not work out he hasn't a clue what to do)

That was in the middle of us winning an Ashes series very comfortably.

I've changed my mind because it's clearly affecting his game and needs a break from the pressure, this is a new team and will take time to bed in.

That was in the middle of us winning an Ashes series very comfortably.

I've changed my mind because it's clearly affecting his game and needs a break from the pressure, this is a new team and will take time to bed in.

We all know that was the most flattering 3-0 of wins ever, I wouldn't really say that was comfortable and Cook's captaincy and batting was highlighted then.

I thought Cook would mature into the captaincy role, but he is clearly struggling. I suspect he found KP undermining, but that was a big call, and now he has lost his own previously fabulous form. The outburst regarding Warne last week was a clear sign that he is not dealing with the pressure.

Trouble is, there simply isn't anyone else knocking at the door. Most County captains are veterans like Collingwood at Durham or Chapple at Lancashire. Gale at Yorkshire is a possibility, or Adams of Hampshire, but neither has really been mentioned as a test batsman. Bell evidently lacks real leadership qualities so we musn't mess with him, and Root is still a baby. Prior perhaps has the personality, but his keeping and batting are creaking too.

We all know that was the most flattering 3-0 of wins ever, I wouldn't really say that was comfortable and Cook's captaincy and batting was highlighted then.

Two of the three wins were comfortable, only really the first Test where we seriously looked like losing. Obviously nowhere near as convincing as the win Down Under in 2011 or the whitewash in the winter.

Cook had Swann to call on last summer, as well as Trott at number three and KP. They are huge losses for the team and this is where the leader needs to come to the fore. It's not happening, and Cook is rattled which is harming himself and the team.

As harpenden says, it's a tough call with who to turn to, but a change is required.

Not Anderson's fault, played brilliantly along with Ali to survive so long. Shots like Plunkett's were the issue, nightwatchman sent in to defend tries to smash one out of the ground in the last over with us already four down.

They got rid of KP to allow Cook and Moores to run the show.

Whoever made that decision needs the boot in my opinion. KP might have ego issues but any Captain / Coach worth his money would be able to manage the situation.

They got rid of KP to allow Cook and Moores to run the show.

Whoever made that decision needs the boot in my opinion. KP might have ego issues but any Captain / Coach worth his money would be able to manage the situation.

Yeah, KP has done so well since being given the boot by England hasn't he? Really shown England what they have been missing.

England are in a transitional period, I would question the selectors reluctance to pick Vince, Stokes, or even Taylor at Notts. I wonder what the coaches did to Finn, he has gone backwards over the past 12 months and we desperately need to find a spinner, doesn't seem to be a decent alternative to Monty anywhere but he comes with his own problems it seems.

Ali, Root, Robson, Ballance, Jordan?

The four batsman there have all now scored test match hundreds against a very very decent Sri Lankan attack. And Chris Jordan has bowled very well when he's been called upon!

This is test match cricket, it takes years and years to become an established test match cricketer, arguably one of the most difficult tests of mental and physical ability in world sport.

People going on about how it's going to be a "long transitional period" must be watching a different side!

I think this is a very very exciting england side, I think Moeen Ali was sensational today, one of the best knocks I've ever seen from an England player, this team will dominate, but they need time to experience the why's and wherefores of test match cricket, everybody just needs to be patient and stop being so spoilt!

We've just had the best period of English dominance in cricket, arguably ever and now that's come to an end.

Get off their backs and enjoy the individual performances for now, their time will come!

Chillll winnstoonnn!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ali, Root, Robson, Ballance, Jordan?

The four batsman there have all now scored test match hundreds against a very very decent Sri Lankan attack. And Chris Jordan has bowled very well when he's been called upon!

This is test match cricket, it takes years and years to become an established test match cricketer, arguably one of the most difficult tests of mental and physical ability in world sport.

People going on about how it's going to be a "long transitional period" must be watching a different side!

I think this is a very very exciting england side, I think Moeen Ali was sensational today, one of the best knocks I've ever seen from an England player, this team will dominate, but they need time to experience the why's and wherefores of test match cricket, everybody just needs to be patient and stop being so spoilt!

We've just had the best period of English dominance in cricket, arguably ever and now that's come to an end.

Get off their backs and enjoy the individual performances for now, their time will come!

Chillll winnstoonnn!

Are you James Whitaker? lol Any team that loses the senior players we have surely must be in a period of transition. Agree with you about Moeen quality knock.

That wasn't the point I was making, the point I was making was these people who are saying it will be a "slow" transition are obviously watching a different game of cricket.

These players are good enough, with plunks and Ben stokes as an addition this team could dominate again in the near future.

The biggest issue I see at the moment, with regards captaincy, is the central contracts and this grooming of cook to be captain.

How many of our players have captained a side other than England? Where was Cook supposed to get his experience from. He was marked out as a future captain from a very early age and deemed to be Strauss' heir from the start.

Looks like Root is being considered the same, any decent player gets signed up to a central contract, barely plays for his county, especially in 4 day matches, they have no chance to actually be a captain or even demonstrate they are captain material, they work almost solely under the ECB and have no chance to work on their captaincy in less pressured environments.

That wasn't the point I was making, the point I was making was these people who are saying it will be a "slow" transition are obviously watching a different game of cricket.

These players are good enough, with plunks and Ben stokes as an addition this team could dominate again in the near future.

Spin could be a real problem or our lack of it especially when we tour the sub continent, that could stop us dominating. Cannot think of anyone besides Monty who could do a job.

The biggest issue I see at the moment, with regards captaincy, is the central contracts and this grooming of cook to be captain.

How many of our players have captained a side other than England? Where was Cook supposed to get his experience from. He was marked out as a future captain from a very early age and deemed to be Strauss' heir from the start .

Hardly any England players on central contracts have captained their county sides. They don't spend enough time at their counties to create any cohesion in terms of captaincy. I don't even think captaining any other team outside of international level would properly prepare you for test match captaincy to be fair.

Without central contracts I reckon the county game in this country would have folded by now. No way can these counties afford to pay players wages, even when they're not playing for them for three quarters off the summer.

Edit: I think you've edited your post and made the exact same point as I was arguing here, haha. Thanks for making me look silly 😄 haha

Fair, i have turned a blind eye in regards to spin since swanny retired, I'm hoping it will just sort itself out!

I think Scott Borthwick is our brightest prospect, but he got given a few games on what was basically a road for batting, and then got tossed aside. Get him in the side, keep him there and let him build his experience.

Warney's gone on record as saying he thinks Bortwick could be a real asset for England.

Spin could be a real problem or our lack of it especially when we tour the sub continent, that could stop us dominating. Cannot think of anyone besides Monty who could do a job.

Don't know what went wrong with the previous post apologies for that.

Monty has issues, he needs to stop pissing in public

Archived