Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Collymore

hayfever

On 13/06/2023 at 14:32, FoyleFox said:

Teaspoon of local honey every day. The scientists say there is no evidence it works, but chatting to the nurse whilst giving blood last week, and she swore by it.

How local does it neeed to be?? Can I get some from the co op in Birstall? 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/06/2023 at 16:43, Ryanside said:

I've mentioned in previous threads, Google kenalog injection. £100ish and it cures you for a season, had mine 2 weeks ago after suffering quite badly, no symptoms at all now.  The health suite near thurnby does them. 

I finally bit the bullet and had the injection last Friday.

How long did it take for you to notice the benefits? I'm still suffering quite badly, hoping it kicks in soon!

On 15/06/2023 at 23:04, SystonFox said:

How local does it neeed to be?? Can I get some from the co op in Birstall? 

It’s supposed to be honey from local bees that pollinate in your area, that’s kind of how it works. My mate, who used to have bad hay fever, has a couple of rounds of toast with honey on for breakfast and he doesn’t get hayfever any more. I think it’s more of an all round year thing though to build up an immunity.

2 hours ago, Fosse93 said:

I finally bit the bullet and had the injection last Friday.

How long did it take for you to notice the benefits? I'm still suffering quite badly, hoping it kicks in soon!

I think it's about 3 days for it to fully kick in. On the really high pollen days I still take one anti histamine and that kills all symptoms for me. Since I've had it about 3 weeks ago I've only done that twice whereas normally I'd be a mess even with anti histamines

• Thanks 2

Guest Mee-9

I’ve been taking Fexofenadine. Treathay from Asda.

Read an article last year how they were ‘a miracle cure.’

Worked really well for me so far, only issue for me is if I miss one.  

7 minutes ago, Mee-9 said:

I’ve been taking Fexofenadine. Treathay from Asda.

Tried that (Allevia) for a week recently and had no effect at all. Ended up back on Clarityn which used to work good but doesn't seem to be doing much anymore.

Guest Mee-9
On 15/06/2023 at 15:45, Wrighty22 said:

My son has been really struggling this last 2 weeks. It’s horrible watching him suffer so much. 

The dr has prescribed a liquid antihistamine so hoping that works and helps out. He was in tears last night as his eyes were so sore. 

Any one else’s kids struggling and found anything that works? 

Hi mate,

As a kid I used to suffer quite badly but as years have progressed it has eased. My hayfever used to induce asthma as a kid too, shortness of breath being an issue. Some people on here have said the same thing, finding what works for you is best. For a long time I took Benadryl (one with the sunflower on) and I swore by it. 

Have recently been taking Fexofenadine, Treathay from Asda. Purple and yellow box and they’ve been great. Its a much bigger tablet but I don’t seem to have many side effects too. 

Some nasal sprays work, but its trial and error a bit. There’s some that are rubbish but some blow your head off and actually induce more sneezing than not. 

I suffered in the past with the really sore eyes, and mine wouldn’t stop streaming. I’d use a flannel thats covered in cold water, ring it out a bit and pop it on your lads eyes. Helps them feel a bit better. 

Other things to consider are is it a specific type of pollen, as in grass or tree pollen? Is rape seed plentiful near you? (Known to set people off) 

Sleeping with the windows open also may seem a necessity with the heat, but keeping them shut over night may also help. 

Do you have any pets also? Walking dogs through fields and then them coming back into the house with pollen on them might not help things.

I hope your son finds what helps him, it used to be a sod for me when I was at school. Now in my late 20s and it has got better ish. But that’s no comfort for him now. 

Guest Mee-9
1 minute ago, Mark said:

Tried that (Allevia) for a week recently and had no effect at all. Ended up back on Clarityn which used to work good but doesn't seem to be doing much anymore.

I always found that Benadryl worked well for me in the past. But it had to be the one with the sunflower on the packaging in the orange/yellow box. The blue packet of Benadryl didn’t touch me. 

2 hours ago, Mee-9 said:

Sleeping with the windows open also may seem a necessity with the heat, but keeping them shut over night may also help. 

I don't think there's any pollen at all at night and the levels don't increase again until the next day. I might be wrong but window open at night shouldn't make any difference. 

10 hours ago, Mee-9 said:

Hi mate,

As a kid I used to suffer quite badly but as years have progressed it has eased. My hayfever used to induce asthma as a kid too, shortness of breath being an issue. Some people on here have said the same thing, finding what works for you is best. For a long time I took Benadryl (one with the sunflower on) and I swore by it. 

Have recently been taking Fexofenadine, Treathay from Asda. Purple and yellow box and they’ve been great. Its a much bigger tablet but I don’t seem to have many side effects too. 

Some nasal sprays work, but its trial and error a bit. There’s some that are rubbish but some blow your head off and actually induce more sneezing than not. 

I suffered in the past with the really sore eyes, and mine wouldn’t stop streaming. I’d use a flannel thats covered in cold water, ring it out a bit and pop it on your lads eyes. Helps them feel a bit better. 

Other things to consider are is it a specific type of pollen, as in grass or tree pollen? Is rape seed plentiful near you? (Known to set people off) 

Do you have any pets also? Walking dogs through fields and then them coming back into the house with pollen on them might not help things.

I hope your son finds what helps him, it used to be a sod for me when I was at school. Now in my late 20s and it has got better ish. But that’s no comfort for him now. 

Firstly thank you for taking the time to respond. 

He’s a lot better now. The medicine prescribed by the dr seems to be doing the trick. 

Also brought him some eye drops and an eye mask that is kept in the fridge all day. 

He has a dog with me and at his mums house so maybe the pollen when walking or when they come back is a thing. I’ll keep an eye on that for sure. 

Hadn’t even thought about rape seed, I’ll take a look into if any of that is near me. 

He’s always been quite a snotty lad and he’s been referred to ENT so I don’t think that helps. 

12 hours ago, Mee-9 said:

Hi mate,

Literally me every single June to September, so grim.